RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2020, 05:44 PM   #1

Can driver side controls be mistakenly activated while driving?

Another newbie question, for my 2019 Dutch Star: I was wondering about the various switches on the driver's left side, and whether or not one has to be concerned to not mistakenly hit one of them while driving. In particular, I'm thinking about the manual air bag dump switch, and also the R/N/D switch for the transmission. Is there any "automatic protection" that precludes those switches from being able to do anything damaging if one were to inadvertently hit one of them while driving down the highway? I certainly didn't want to "test the theory" while on my maiden voyage! :-) But at the same time I was pondering the danger if I were to do something like reach for the window switch or something and mistakenly hit the wrong button, especially in these "early days" while I'm still getting used to where everything is located.

Tom
sartor is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2020, 05:57 PM   #2

switches

Tom,
While you get used to your new layout, you could tape a cardboard flap over the "scary switches" and label it with "Don't touch while moving".

Or install aircraft style switch covers..........

Mike in Colorado
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #3

Supposedly the slides are interlocked. You can try that out by trying to move the slides while the engine is running.

The Manual dump "Might" work, but probably not for long; the control panel is set for "ride" while you are moving.

Just a thought........

Tom
Old 11-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Tom: No need to worry about the transmission as confirmed by FL during my virtual Camp Freightliner seminar earlier this year. Our presenter (Bobby Wayne) told us the computer knows when a shift button mistake has been made and will not shift into a dangerous state.
I'd say the only other switch to be careful of is the Tag Axle switch. Make sure you're in Auto mode. That would have the switch at the most forward position. The labeling can be somewhat confusing. I think there is a post from earlier this week on this site.
Enjoy your new to you coach.
We love our 2019 4018 DS.
Happy Thanksgiving.
MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:54 PM   #5

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My tag axle lift button will only work below something like 10mph. I'm sure Freightliner is similar. If you pushed it while traveling, it would just ignore the command.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Transmission is supposed to be smart enough to not shift while on the highway.

Tag dump position does not matter as it automatically inflates at 8 mph with a straight tag and something like 20 if you have a passive steering setup.

Tag position should always be in auto position. On ours at start the tag does not dump in forward. I like to press the dump button forward, it returns to the auto position. In that state the tag always dumps in reverse and below 8 mph in forward. I like it to dump in forward as that is when I am doing the big cuts that the tag dump allows the tags to skid.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sartor View Post
Another newbie question, for my 2019 Dutch Star: I was wondering about the various switches on the driver's left side, and whether or not one has to be concerned to not mistakenly hit one of them while driving. In particular, I'm thinking about the manual air bag dump switch, and also the R/N/D switch for the transmission. Is there any "automatic protection" that precludes those switches from being able to do anything damaging if one were to inadvertently hit one of them while driving down the highway? I certainly didn't want to "test the theory" while on my maiden voyage! :-) But at the same time I was pondering the danger if I were to do something like reach for the window switch or something and mistakenly hit the wrong button, especially in these "early days" while I'm still getting used to where everything is located.

Tom
Many rocker type switches allow the top "cover" to be replaced. If yours are like that, you could order new tops in red. That way, it could help you to stay away from it with your peripheral vision. I just replaced some switches from the small skinny type Monaco used in 2003 for the interior lighting and water pump etc to these from Rocker Switch Pros. You can design your own top cover: https://rockerswitchpros.com/product...itch-actuator/. A couple of years ago, I changed the top cover of my engine brake rocker switch to red. I got it from these guys: Carling Technology V-Series Contura II: nwrvsupply.com
Mile Marker 42 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 12:02 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
On your 19, obviously you can upshift and downshift the transmission while driving and you can also put it in Neutral. The shifter design would make it pretty hard to press the Neutral button, unless you were aiming for it. Upshifting and downshifting are limited by Allison, according to engine speed.

On the 2019, the jacks will operate with the engine running, but probably not with the coach in Drive. I often retract my jacks while the coach is airing up. I've never tried, but you could put the coach in gear and then hit the deploy button on the jacks. As stated, the green light (travel mode) should be on when in gear and prevent the deployment.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:08 PM   #9

I remember reading a story where a guy was hooking up his tow vehicle with the coach running, (my guess without the parking brake on) and his dog jumped on the drivers seat to look out the window and shifted the coach into drive. Eeks!
Mr. T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 02:50 PM   #10

Thanks to the OP for raising this question. Something I hadn't considered for my future purchase.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:00 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Not in ours.

You have to open a overhead compartment to operate the controls.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyG View Post
Tom: No need to worry about the transmission as confirmed by FL during my virtual Camp Freightliner seminar earlier this year. Our presenter (Bobby Wayne) told us the computer knows when a shift button mistake has been made and will not shift into a dangerous state.
I'd say the only other switch to be careful of is the Tag Axle switch. Make sure you're in Auto mode. That would have the switch at the most forward position. The labeling can be somewhat confusing. I think there is a post from earlier this week on this site.
Enjoy your new to you coach.
We love our 2019 4018 DS.
Happy Thanksgiving.

On mine the mid position is the auto. Dump is all the way forward. Might have changed since 2018.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0947.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	689.4 KB
ID:	309401
Old 11-26-2020, 04:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
On mine the mid position is the auto. Dump is all the way forward. Might have changed since 2018.
Attachment 309401

My 2016 is the same. Auto in mid position.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
My 2016 is the same. Auto in mid position.

Oops, I take this back. Looking through the post and my notes, switch should be forward.

Tags
driver