Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2020, 08:04 PM   #1

Can ride be improved?

Just returned from an across the country trip covering 5000 miles. We love our 2019 4369 Dutch Star and on most interstates the ride is very good. However, we hit some highways/interstates/bridges that were jarring to say the least. Has anyone changed out shocks or taken other actions to smooth out these jarring jolts from the highways?

Allen
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam16 View Post
Just returned from an across the country trip covering 5000 miles. We love our 2019 4369 Dutch Star and on most interstates the ride is very good. However, we hit some highways/interstates/bridges that were jarring to say the least. Has anyone changed out shocks or taken other actions to smooth out these jarring jolts from the highways?

Allen

Changed my front shocks on my Freightliner chassis to Koni Evo. Much better ride. Smoothed out the jarring from bridge and pavement joints.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:40 PM   #3

Just put Koni EVO shocks on the front and Koni FSD’s on the drive and tag axles on my 2016 4369. A noticeable improvement.

Search the Newmar forum for Koni and you will find several threads on the topic.
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:14 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I put Koni's on the front and noticed a big difference. (Spartan Chassis)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Within months of purchasing both my 2014 DS and my 2019 DS, I replaced all the shocks with Koni's. FSD's on the rears and they only make Koni EVO's for the front.

You also need to get your coached weighed and get the tires down to the correct pressure for your coach weight. Just 5 psi can make your coach ride rougher.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

I replaced my front shocks with Koni Evos I found that travels a lot better still have issues ridges on bridges but in some cases shocks are. Or enough, next I’m replacing the rear shocks, I don’t think it hurt

Zzotte
Old 09-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Within months of purchasing both my 2014 DS and my 2019 DS, I replaced all the shocks with Koni's. FSD's on the rears and they only make Koni EVO's for the front.

You also need to get your coached weighed and get the tires down to the correct pressure for your coach weight. Just 5 psi can make your coach ride rougher.
Don, I just took delivery of our new Ventana tag 4002 drove it 1000 miles back to VA from FL. The rig was great but as we got farther north the roads got worse and porpoising increased greatly. I read this thread with great interest on the Koni shocks and am considering it. You think it is worth replacing? Who would do the work as we not near a Newmar dealer. Thanks
eastern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Don, I just took delivery of our new Ventana tag 4002 drove it 1000 miles back to VA from FL. The rig was great but as we got farther north the roads got worse and porpoising increased greatly. I read this thread with great interest on the Koni shocks and am considering it. You think it is worth replacing? Who would do the work as we not near a Newmar dealer. Thanks
The Koni's will help with the jarring ride, but you shouldn't be getting any porpoising with a tag axle.

If you're actually getting porpoising, they make inline motion control valves that go in the in the airline to the front air bags. They slow down the air both directions. They're about a $100.00 a piece and are easy to install. Jut cut the airline to each bag, a few inches from the bag, and insert the valve. It self locks.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wam16 View Post

Allen
What are your tire pressures- front, duals & tag??? Weigh all four corners & the tag with the coach loaded with full water & fuel tank -add 10% as a safety factor then set tire pressures for correct pressure using Michelin Tire Loading charts.

Over inflated tires can give you a very hard ride on rough roads & bridge expansion joints.

Happy Trails
Capt. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 03:54 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastern1 View Post
Not sure where you are in Virginia, but RV Services of Va., located in Ashland Va., on US Rt. 1, about 4 miles from Ashland Exit on I-95, provide great service. 804-798-1433 is their number. I'm sure they can install the shocks for you.

Also a little bird told me that effective October 1, 2020 that General RV of Va., right on I-95 near Ashland will become the new NEWMAR DEALER.
Camping World/McGeorge RV lost the Newmar franchise!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 05:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
The Koni's will help with the jarring ride, but you shouldn't be getting any porpoising with a tag axle.

If you're actually getting porpoising, they make inline motion control valves that go in the in the airline to the front air bags. They slow down the air both directions. They're about a $100.00 a piece and are easy to install. Jut cut the airline to each bag, a few inches from the bag, and insert the valve. It self locks.
Being new to this I am not sure if the porpoising I am experiencing is abnormal. Talked to the salesman from North Trail, John Wicks who has been great and he said that the farther north you get the worse the transition at the bridges gets which is exactly what I experienced. The route 295 bypass around Richmond was the worst.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:06 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post
What are your tire pressures- front, duals & tag??? Weigh all four corners & the tag with the coach loaded with full water & fuel tank -add 10% as a safety factor then set tire pressures for correct pressure using Michelin Tire Loading charts.

Over inflated tires can give you a very hard ride on rough roads & bridge expansion joints.

Happy Trails
The total coach weight is 37,000 lbs. and I am running 120 lbs in the front and 85 lbs in the drive and tag per the placard and the Michelin chart for 305 R70 22.5 tires. Being new and bringing from FL to NoVa on first trip towing a 6300 lb pickup I did not want to under inflate.

Can you tell me where I can get corner weights? All I have been using are the Cat scales. Thanks
Old 09-22-2020, 05:18 AM   #13

If the front shocks are bad (or new with not enough dampening) then the RV will porpoise, even with a tag axle. New front Konis fixed that problem on mine. The original Bilsteins were worn out.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Bill View Post

Happy Trails
Bill,
I have the four corner weights and the tire air pressure is set to the Michelin Loading charts. Since I initially posted I purchased the front Koni shocks and had them installed. I've only driven about 25 miles with the new shocks but surprisingly I noticed a difference in the coach before I was even out of the parking lot where the shocks were installed. I've never driven a King Aire before but as I was driving home I was thinking....this must be what a King Aire drives like. Needless to say I was impressed. We are heading to Michigan next week which will be a good test on the shocks. I'll provide my thoughts on the new shocks when we get back.

Allen
wam16 is offline   Reply With Quote