Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2021, 10:48 AM   #1

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Can someone explain battery discharge

I think I have at least one bad batter in my bank. I can only go about 1.5-2 hours before I hit my LBCO which is set at 11.7, I did have it lower and it was about the same It looks like I am drawing about 18 amp (240 watts) with just the basic on, refrigerator, DirecTV receiver and pepwave router and 28 amps when the refrigerator compressor kick on.

When the batteries got below 11 volts I checked them to see if I could find a bad battery but got some odd reading. Look at picture below, all 8 batteries had 10.7 volts each 12 volt bank had ~10.7 volts and ever other battery was ethier ~6.3volts or ~4.3volts. Why would they discharge that way? Is this normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CleanShot 2021-06-14 at 06.44.15@2x.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	332701  
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2021, 11:04 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
You may have to measure them with at least one side of each battery disconnected to get a better picture of what is actually happening.
Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
You may have to measure them with at least one side of each battery disconnected to get a better picture of what is actually happening.

Correct. Fully charge and disconnect to load test them.

If wet cell, fully charge and use an inexpensive BATTERY HYDROMETER (any auto parts house-- under $10). Lots less disconnecting to check.
Old 06-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #4

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
I should have said they are Harris AGM batteries in a 2018 DSDP
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:35 PM   #5

Then, after charging, disconnect and load test them individually.
Old 06-19-2021, 01:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
I should have said they are Harris AGM batteries in a 2018 DSDP
Some may make way more technical arguments, but I will put it in plain English. Your entire battery bank will only be as good as the worst battery .

The P.O. replaced one battery between the time I purchased it and picked it up. I donít know why he felt it failed but he did. I have 3 12v flooded wet batteries.

I was having trouble going overnight without the voltage going low enough to shut the inverter down. Tv, fridge and a laptop. 480 watts total. Since I only had 2 nights without shore power I left it alone until I got home this spring.

I pulled all 3 out, charged and tested them with my computerized tester. The new one checked out at 100%. The other 2 20%. I put the one new one back in and I had more amps/time with one good one than with 2 bad and 1 good.

I replaced all 3. Bought 3 identical 120 ah flooded at Samís on sale for $68 each.

The only proper way to test batteries is to disconnect each, put a charger on them and test with a good battery tester. Checking voltages even across one battery will give wired readings. You may test one at 6 or 12 volts, but if connected to one with a bad cell one connection may only show 4 v

And just because you have voltage doesnít mean you have amps. Wit 8 6v batteries like you have, if they are all good and fully charged you should get 2-3 days drawing 200 watts.

I know a lot of coaches and a lot of people like using 6v golf cart batteries, I have found 12v deep cycle battery to work as well if not better. Remember, if you buy 6v 120ah batteries and put them in series you still only have 120ah, at 12v I find golf cart batteries just as much as a similar size 12v battery. So why buy 8 when you get the same power out of 4. Plus a lot less cables and less chance to make a mistake.

Find an old 12 v battery, wire just 1 positive and one negative, hook to shore power, so your converter has something to keep 12v on while you charge and test all your batteries. If you find one dead, itís time to replace them all.
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:12 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As stated, you can't test dead batteries, once fully charged, disconnect them from the others and load test.

Here is a low cost load tester that is good enough to tell you if you have a bad battery.

https://www.harborfreight.com/100a-6..._q=load+tester
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
Some may make way more technical arguments, but I will put it in plain English. Your entire battery bank will only be as good as the worst battery .

The P.O. replaced one battery between the time I purchased it and picked it up. I don’t know why he felt it failed but he did. I have 3 12v flooded wet batteries.

I was having trouble going overnight without the voltage going low enough to shut the inverter down. Tv, fridge and a laptop. 480 watts total. Since I only had 2 nights without shore power I left it alone until I got home this spring.

I pulled all 3 out, charged and tested them with my computerized tester. The new one checked out at 100%. The other 2 20%. I put the one new one back in and I had more amps/time with one good one than with 2 bad and 1 good.

I replaced all 3. Bought 3 identical 120 ah flooded at Sam’s on sale for $68 each.

The only proper way to test batteries is to disconnect each, put a charger on them and test with a good battery tester. Checking voltages even across one battery will give wired readings. You may test one at 6 or 12 volts, but if connected to one with a bad cell one connection may only show 4 v

And just because you have voltage doesn’t mean you have amps. Wit 8 6v batteries like you have, if they are all good and fully charged you should get 2-3 days drawing 200 watts.

I know a lot of coaches and a lot of people like using 6v golf cart batteries, I have found 12v deep cycle battery to work as well if not better. Remember, if you buy 6v 120ah batteries and put them in series you still only have 120ah, at 12v I find golf cart batteries just as much as a similar size 12v battery. So why buy 8 when you get the same power out of 4. Plus a lot less cables and less chance to make a mistake.

Find an old 12 v battery, wire just 1 positive and one negative, hook to shore power, so your converter has something to keep 12v on while you charge and test all your batteries. If you find one dead, it’s time to replace them all.
6v flooded golf cart batteries are 215ah or more. You’ll get near double the AH with two 6v batteries than you will with one 12v one.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massparanoia View Post
6v flooded golf cart batteries are 215ah or more. Youíll get near double the AH with two 6v batteries than you will with one 12v one.
Lets not start this again. Battery capacity is a function of LEAD...weight, things like that. It is correct that one nice 6 volt deep cycle Trojan will have more AH than a deep cycle 12 volt...but only at 6 volts!

Think of two deep cycle 6 volt units as one big 12 volt battery with 3 cells in each case. Two 6 volt deep cycle units will have a little more capacity than 2 deep cycle 12 volt units of the same case size.
Sbrownstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 03:05 PM   #10

The Harris batteries probably sat dead, on the lot, for months, replace them all with another brand.

800 AH of battery should run 28 amps for over 24 hours.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbrownstein View Post
Lets not start this again. Battery capacity is a function of LEAD...weight, things like that. It is correct that one nice 6 volt deep cycle Trojan will have more AH than a deep cycle 12 volt...but only at 6 volts!

Think of two deep cycle 6 volt units as one big 12 volt battery with 3 cells in each case. Two 6 volt deep cycle units will have a little more capacity than 2 deep cycle 12 volt units of the same case size.
Yes youíre right. 6 volt batteries have more capacity than 12 volt batteries.
Massparanoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery