RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2020, 07:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can you dim the LCD Screen on Travíler IDU?

Is there a way to dim or turn off the LCD screen on the Travíler antenna indoor unit. It lights up the coach at night making it difficult to sleep.

In the past Iíve placed paper over the display and have also accidentally unplugged it, but I was wondering if the unit has some sort of setting for the brightness.

flyboy013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2020, 07:46 PM   #2
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

There's nothing wrong with unplugging it. If you wish you can plug it back in; the display won't go back up until you press a button. Once the system has found the satellites, it doesn't do anything more until you push a button.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #3

If you want to turn off the power to the TRAVíLER antenna after the antenna has locked onto satellites, press ďPOWERĒ and ďSELECTĒ at the same time.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:08 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Iíve built and install an ďauto detect cableĒ which automatically lowers the antenna when the ignition key is turn on as a safeguard against forgetting to lower the antenna before departing a campground. Given this, I would like to find a way, if possible, to dim or turn off the screen without unplugging the IDU or powering it off. I just tested powering off the unit and then turning the key on. Unfortunately the antenna did not lower when the unit was in a power off state. What Iím looking for may not be possible, but I figured I would ask.
Old 02-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I would say to press and hold the Select buttom, then press the Power button. When you try to push them at the same time if you aren't careful you will get power first and lower your antenna.

2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3940
2013 Buick Encore - Master Tow 80TS
dck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 04:59 PM   #6
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy013 View Post
Iíve built and install an ďauto detect cableĒ which automatically lowers the antenna when the ignition key is turn on as a safeguard against forgetting to lower the antenna before departing a campground.
I know of one person who admits to having driven off with his Trav'ler deployed. He fortunately had no damage after several hours of driving.

We have full-timed for ~9 years and used our Trav'ler at nearly every stop (until we quit satellite TV for streaming). We made lowering it part of our checklist when we leave in the morning. If you feel better with a printed checklist then make one and keep it by the front door.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:14 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
I know of one person who admits to having driven off with his Trav'ler deployed. He fortunately had no damage after several hours of driving.

We have full-timed for ~9 years and used our Trav'ler at nearly every stop (until we quit satellite TV for streaming). We made lowering it part of our checklist when we leave in the morning. If you feel better with a printed checklist then make one and keep it by the front door.

Joel (AKA docj)

Add me to the club (leaving up). I have a routine now. Final walk around as last step.
Soniccruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:47 AM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I know how to turn the display off on my Travler, but I purposely leave it on. It's located in the cabinet where all of my controls are located, like the slides, Oasis, awnings, etc. When we break camp, I have to operate the slides in that cabinet, so seeing the lit display reminds me to lower the antenna. I also insure that the under slide lights and the Oasis is turned off.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:57 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Our control box is in cabinet above drivers seat, so once setup that cabinet usually stays closed. I also place ignition keys on top of this box to ensure a reminder to lower Travler antenna.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:52 PM   #10

Iím trying to find my diagram on the antenna. I remember a pin on the connector that is ignition sense. When this pin sees 12v, it lowers the antenna.

However, like DS Don, I just leave mine on as a reminder that the antenna is up.
Yes to satellite, no latency.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:16 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Can you dim the LCD Screen on Travíler IDU?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winepress View Post
Iím trying to find my diagram on the antenna. I remember a pin on the connector that is ignition sense. When this pin sees 12v, it lowers the antenna.

I have a cable installed to send the 12V to the controller to automatically stow the antenna when the ignition key is turned on. In order for this capability to work, the control box needs to be plugged in and turned on, ie. the LCD display is lit up. It's the bright light coming from the display in the middle of the night that I wanted to disable (or at least dim), but it looks like such a capability doesn't exist. I'll most like continue to place paper or a rag in front of the display to hid the light.

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping someone knew of a way, but not surprised there isn't a way to accomplish what I want.

Tags
scr