Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
We are currently at Chatfield State Park in Denver Co. While driving into CO I turned the windshield wipers on in our new KSDP for the first time. They tried to wrap around the drivers side rear view mirror the very first sweep and stuck there. Motor shorted out and the splines on both arms stiped smooth. Service Center has the motor, but arms are back ordered with no delivery date. While waiting, the rear air-conditioner burnt up. Filled the motor home with electrical burn smell. Service center submitted for warranty. This week-end the front acnd apparenty went the same way. 100 degree days and no acnd is very frustrating not to mention uncomfortable. I heard about Newmars windshied wipers problems, and have a friend that has one new acnd on a brand new DSDP. Is Newmar having problems with the Dometic acnd's as well? Or am we just having a run of bad luck? Can't leave w/o wipers and cannot stay in the coach during 100 degree days, so here we are.
imgoin4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
We are currently at Chatfield State Park in Denver Co. While driving into CO I turned the windshield wipers on in our new KSDP for the first time. They tried to wrap around the drivers side rear view mirror the very first sweep and stuck there. Motor shorted out and the splines on both arms stiped smooth. Service Center has the motor, but arms are back ordered with no delivery date. While waiting, the rear air-conditioner burnt up. Filled the motor home with electrical burn smell. Service center submitted for warranty. This week-end the front acnd apparenty went the same way. 100 degree days and no acnd is very frustrating not to mention uncomfortable. I heard about Newmars windshied wipers problems, and have a friend that has one new acnd on a brand new DSDP. Is Newmar having problems with the Dometic acnd's as well? Or am we just having a run of bad luck? Can't leave w/o wipers and cannot stay in the coach during 100 degree days, so here we are.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry about your run of bad luck. Hope everything works out OK.
Have to ask, but are you related to Rebelsbeach because that's the type of luck and problems he would have.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:47 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
There is a problem with Newmar's wipers.

It's several things;

Bad/too light design, IMHO.

Improperly torqued wiper arms.

Linkage out of adjustment.

I'm at the factory now having my wipers worked on again, waiting for new arms also.

There was a bad batch of A/C start capacitors from that time frame. The replacement start capacitors are not having problems.

Both of my AC's had the original start capacitors go bad, and the replacements have not failed.

The start capacitor replacement is a fairly quick and easy fix.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 AM   #5

h moffet,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I would go bonkers without an air conditioner!

Dirk,
You may remember last summer when we were both at Newmar that I was having problems with my wipers, too. Whatever the techs did seemed to have fixed the problem, because they have been working for over a year now without a hitch. (I think I showed you what they did on mine.) Guess I'm lucky? But I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Haven't had any problems with the roof air conditioners, but the dash air conditioner lost all of its freon. One of the hoses developed a leak. Just had it fixed at Cummins in Albuquerque, and Newmar said they would cover it under warranty. The tech at Cummins said he sees this problem a lot. He claims that the factory-installed hoses are very stiff, and the vibration inside the engine compartment eventually causes them to develop a leak where they are clamped. He replaced my hose with a more flexible (and more expensive) one.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:14 AM   #6

Sorry about the wipers & AC...there is a very good Newmar Warranty Repair shop basically right out the south gate of Chatfield... Name is All Stars RV: (720) 348-0404...Stop by or give them a call...I have used them in the past with very good results...good luck
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 AM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(I think I showed you what they did on mine.) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, you did, but I forget as I have talked to several folks with problems.

Was it the shortened/bent "C" shaped piece to put more tension on the spring? Newmar did that to mine also.

The latest issue on mine is the drivers side loosened and stripped the female part of the cone nut, which is a part of the wiper arm.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:47 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Was it the shortened/bent "C" shaped piece to put more tension on the spring? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, that was it. Sorry it didn't fix your problems. Or maybe the cone nut got stripped because of the extra force applied over a long period of time by the modified tension spring?
Old 07-21-2008, 05:50 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
G'morning h moffet: Boy, All Star RV, the area Newmar Svc. must be gettin pretty good at replacing A/C units. We also did the shuttle between Chatfield RV Park and All Star just a few miles S. and they sure did a GREAT job for our (then) 06 MADP (Front AC and HydroHot fixes). Took a few weeks to get all parts and fixes done, but we sure enjoyed our stay. Toured Denver area, Central City was fun, drove in the mtns. and enjoyed Chatfield. Hope all goes smooth for you folks...and say HI to Allan and the gang at All Star RV from...Steve & Lynette
Old 07-21-2008, 07:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
UPDATE: Talked to Newmar a couple of times this morning as well as Allen at Allstars RV repair. Newmar denied the first warranty as needing more information from Allstars. Second acnd warranty sent this morning. Newmar said Allen should call Newmar for authorization, then call newmar parts for drop ship approval to get the acnd units from Dometic warehouse here in Denver. Passed this info to Allen, he said he would call Newmar. I asked Newmar for some help here I am in my third day of 100 degrees (maybe only 90's today) and I sure do not want to be caught between Newmar and Allstars with this problem. Allstars RV has been really great about working things, getting us in with no notice last week and getting done what they could without parts. These guys are good! Now just need a little cooperation and parts from Newmar. Hopefully that will happen.