RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #1

Can't tune dish throughout coach

I wanted to move my Dish receiver to the back bedroom for a short spell while I was sick, so I could watch some football back there. When I plugged it in, it couldn't see the Winegard dish on the roof.

After I got better, I took it out to the external TV and plugged it into that cable. Also no dice.

My DishNetwork receiver can only "see" the satellite dish when plugged into the coax that terminates in the front cabinet. Does anyone know why? Does anyone know if all of these coax runs are just connected together behind the scenes? I don't know where to look to see where they are doing the joining/splitting.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2015, 10:24 PM   #2

If I remember correctly, the front receiver is the one that tells the dish which way to point etc. It must be connected for the system to work.

CentILRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentILRVer View Post
If I remember correctly, the front receiver is the one that tells the dish which way to point etc. It must be connected for the system to work.
Thanks for replying. I'm not sure I follow: are you thinking that there are different coax lines running from the front to the dish as opposed to from other parts of the coach? That would certainly explain why I can't get any signal elsewhere.
Old 09-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #4
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
I wanted to move my Dish receiver to the back bedroom for a short spell while I was sick, so I could watch some football back there. When I plugged it in, it couldn't see the Winegard dish on the roof.

After I got better, I took it out to the external TV and plugged it into that cable. Also no dice.

My DishNetwork receiver can only "see" the satellite dish when plugged into the coax that terminates in the front cabinet. Does anyone know why? Does anyone know if all of these coax runs are just connected together behind the scenes? I don't know where to look to see where they are doing the joining/splitting.

The coax in the front where your dish is normally connected, runs straight to the roof and the satellite dish up there.

The other coaxes you were attempting to connect to are part of your over the air/park cable system. They are connected only to the antenna on the roof to receive ota broadcast signals or by flipping a switch near the front door, park cable. They do not connect in any way to your satellite dish.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:57 AM   #5

We often think of Satellite tv working as Cable or Antenna tv, with shared coax wiring, but Sat coax signal lines are usually run separately to each tv/receiver connection - which is why the coach 'Bomb' is not generally useful for Sat connections, unless you only want a single 'main' tv to watch the Sat.
Most of us want ALL our tvs to be able to watch Sat, which requires a wholly different wiring process.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:14 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Man I really hope newmarpusher is wrong.

I am picking up my 2015 DS this week. On my Ventana LE (2015 3812) I connected the dish receiver to the coax in the bedroom along with the HDMI cable and got connectivity to the sat. On the DS it also has a coax and HDMI input. Is it not the same?

I am assuming that you have connected both the coax and the HDMI cable? Have you checker the AV source on the TV?
mpm2433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:25 AM   #7
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Can't tune dish throughout coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpm2433 View Post
Man I really hope newmarpusher is wrong.

I am picking up my 2015 DS this week. On my Ventana LE (2015 3812) I connected the dish receiver to the coax in the bedroom along with the HDMI cable and got connectivity to the sat. On the DS it also has a coax and HDMI input. Is it not the same?

I am assuming that you have connected both the coax and the HDMI cable? Have you checker the AV source on the TV?

Depending on the type of satellite dish you have installed, there are likely two coax cables running from the dish. One to the front cabinet, one to the rear bedroom. This allows two receivers to be attached to the single dish. These two coax runs are separate and distinct from the OTA coax running to every tv the OP was attempting to connect to.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:58 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Nebster, check out this thread. It may have all the info you need. If not, ask TechWriter. He seems to know all about Dish.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/dish-...ms-186898.html
Old 09-22-2015, 03:38 AM   #9

Hey guys,

So, if as newmarpusher explains it, there's only one coax feed from the Winegard on the roof, then it makes perfect sense to me. I guess I'd for some reason been imagining that the OTA and satellite signals were just carried together on the same wires.

I think what maybe threw me was the idea that the "amplifier" button was explained to be to be "on for OTA and off for park cable or satellite." In fact, that wouldn't be true: the "amplifier" button would be on for OTA, if needed, and off for cable -- full stop.

Looks like I'll need a wireless HDMI transceiver to send the satellite to the bedroom, which is fine. Not what I'd choose, but not a big deal for the rare time I might use it.

Thanks all!
Old 09-22-2015, 03:46 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebster View Post
Looks like I'll need a wireless HDMI transceiver to send the satellite to the bedroom, which is fine. Not what I'd choose, but not a big deal for the rare time I might use it.

Thanks all!
I'm still not sure that is true. I may have missed it, but I don't find where you told us what Winegard model you have and what model Dish receiver you are using. Both would make a big difference on how you can hook-up.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
I'm still not sure that is true. I may have missed it, but I don't find where you told us what Winegard model you have and what model Dish receiver you are using. Both would make a big difference on how you can hook-up.
I'm pretty sure it's irrelevant, because the bedroom TV has no HDMI feed from the front cabin?

But in case I'm wrong: I have the single-LNB in-motion winegard that has to occasionally switch sats for spot beam, and I have the lowest end small receiver that doesn't have a DVR and only outputs to one device. The first because I didn't option the rig myself, and the second because I essentially only use the satellite to watch one game of college sports at a time, once a week or so. I never watch OTA or satellite TV proper.

So yeah, I think I'm up the proverbial creek.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are using the Dish 211K or Z, you should be able to send SD to your rear TV with the receiver connected up front. You can only watch the same channel on both TVs.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:46 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelm48 View Post
If you are using the Dish 211K or Z, you should be able to send SD to your rear TV with the receiver connected up front. You can only watch the same channel on both TVs.
Sounds promising. I'm not sure which 211 I have, but I remember it's the one without an OTA tuner.

How would I get the SD back to the rear monitor, though?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:21 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It's probably the 211Z unless it is old. There should be an "SD Out" on the rear of the receiver, if I remember correctly, you just hook your coax to it. Either directly or through your video distribution (not sure what you have on a new DS).

Tags
dish