RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2017, 03:54 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Can't unlock cargo doors

On our 2015 DSDP 4018, the cargo lock actuator has locked the doors (then burnt out) and I am unable to open them with the key or the switch.
Newmar customer service said I must pry out a door far enough to get a long screwdriver inside the door to push the lock open.
I have pried as much as I dare.
No luck with the screwdriver.
Any suggestions?

lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2017, 04:02 PM   #2

Isn't this issue part of a recall?

fegans02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Just found out it is part of a recall.
That doesn't get my doors open or replace my dead batteries.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If opening any door will work. In my coach there is room between the fuel tank and the battery box for a small person to probably reach the latch with a clothes hanger or metal rod. Or you might try going thru the sewer hose opening if you have one. Also the chassis battery area is another option. I would explore these before ruining a door.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:28 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang37 View Post
If opening any door will work. In my coach there is room between the fuel tank and the battery box for a small person to probably reach the latch with a clothes hanger or metal rod. Or you might try going thru the sewer hose opening if you have one. Also the chassis battery area is another option. I would explore these before ruining a door.
Thanks for the suggestions.
I have the door open by the chassis battery.
They said I have to open each door individually.
I would think there is another way.
Does anyone know where this lock actuator is located?
Old 08-18-2017, 09:41 PM   #6

If it is being recalled, can't you take it to a dealer and have them open the doors for you?
bperryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:09 AM   #7

The wiring harness for the actuator is behind the dash. That's where the harness for the recall is replaced. I sent you a copy of the recall, which includes pictures of the harness. Just not sure which wires to cross to attempt what we spoke of last night.
Old 08-19-2017, 06:48 AM   #8

Why are the batteries dead? Is there a relationship between the actuator failure and the batteries going dead?
If this is the case I would be hesitant to recharge or replace the batteries until the actuator situation is resolved. I would be afraid of a short somewhere which could lead to a fire.
If your problem is related to a recall I would be on the phone and demand the MH be repaired on site before any more damage is done.
I would note any and all conversations with the MH manufacturer or representative of the manufacturer and get names of who you are having a conversation with along with dates and times.
I would also notify my insurance company of a looming loss to them. They might be able to pull some strings for you.
Meanwhile I will add actuators and electric locks to my list of things to avoid when shopping for my next MH.
Lynn
Old 08-19-2017, 08:14 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattChief View Post
The wiring harness for the actuator is behind the dash. That's where the harness for the recall is replaced. I sent you a copy of the recall, which includes pictures of the harness. Just not sure which wires to cross to attempt what we spoke of last night.
Is this harness before or after the rocker switch by the main door?

Here's is what I would try. If it's before the rocker switch and the switch is dead, then disconnect the power to and add your own power. Yes I have no clue if this will work. But I don't know why it wouldn't.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 08:31 AM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Here's a thread on the recall:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/reca...ks-277419.html

It has a post to another thread, with a scanned copy of the recall letter:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2902726

It does appear by that thread that low battery voltage is implicated in the problem, and that a fire risk exists.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:24 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Irose44,
I had similar issue last year with my 2015 4369. Fortunately the power to the locks failed while the cargo doors were unlocked. This time I found there is a hidden 20 amp fuse behind the cup holder/switches on the passenger side next to the door entry and the passenger captain's chair. Once I got to it and replaced the fuse all power came back on. This may be a completely separate issue but may be worth looking at.
I also had a couple actuators go bad but again the others doors would open so I could crawl into the basement use a screwdriver to open the locked doors. I then removed the panel on the inside of the doors and disabled the actuators so I could lock and unlock the bay doors with a key. I do not know how you can access the basement in your situation without possibly damaging a bay door. I will be following your thread to learn more.
Baja Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Here's a thread on the recall:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/reca...ks-277419.html

It has a post to another thread, with a scanned copy of the recall letter:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2902726

It does appear by that thread that low battery voltage is implicated in the problem, and that a fire risk exists.
AND THAT A FIRE RISK EXISTS!
Thank you for pointing that out. It adds clout to my earlier post (#8)
Lynn
Old 08-19-2017, 09:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrose44 View Post
Does anyone know where this lock actuator is located?
Each door actuator is located inside each door behind each door handle. A black plastic cover can be removed to expose the actuator. Attached is a photo showing the actuator part number. Might try to contact Trimark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2603.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	254.2 KB
ID:	173541  
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 04:53 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks to Swag,Battchief,and Brooks for your guidance. Also all the other suggestions. That is why this forum is the best.
Sometime since last Sunday the Progressive shut down the electric to the coach. Fault says low voltage. The green light was still on at the 50amp plug in the shed so I didn't realize there was no power to the coach. Yesterday morning when I entered the shop I heard the cargo relay chattering. The voltage to the coach house and chassis batteries said 5.6 volts.
I unplugged the 50 amp and plugged it back in and had power to the house batteries and they started charging.
Was able to open the door to the chassis batteries and put them on slow charge.
All batteries are at full charge now. We will see how bad they are damaged.
None of the cargo bay doors would unlock.
Called Newmar customer service, the first guy was no help. He said to bend out a door and run a screwdriver up to unlock one of the doors. I would like to see this accomplished without damaging a door.
Called back to customer service, this fellow was helpful and offered some better suggestions. He said my coach should have been recalled for the low voltage on the relay, but I must have fell through the cracks . They will do the recall now for me. I said I had been to the factory twice, why wasn't the recall done by now? Just fell through this "crack" he says.
Posted on the forum.
Good suggestions here.
Swag and Brooks made excellent suggestions to drill out a whole in the door handle and unlock through the hole. Worked like a charm.
I will try to attach a couple of pictures.

Tags
door