Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-11-2017, 06:12 PM   #1

Canyon Star

We are thinking of buying a 2017 or 2016 Canyon Star 3914 with Triton F 53, any advice or pitfalls with these units. Also, will it get us up the mountain? We had a Newmar Kountry Star before with a 330 cat and it did ok going up the mountain.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
On the go
On the go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Canyon Star

We have a 2016 3710 and power is fine (runs great), engine braking down hill is not great. stock handling was not very good, sway, lean and passing trucks were very scary. If your tall make sure you test drive it with the slide in as seat travel is limited. Good news is there are several add on items that help with handling. We wish in hindsight that we would have looked closer at the Ventana. Esp at nearly 40 feet. Obviously 100k more was a factor. All this said the Canyon Star is the best Gas Motorhome on the market hands down and it's not that we don't like it.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:55 PM   #3

We have a 2014 Canyon Star 3921 and love it. I agree with the previous post about stability and we added the steering stabilizer and front/rear sway bars. Made a world of difference. I wouldn't pay for the solar prep as it isn't large enough wire for many solar installations and wasn't used for mine. I also wouldn't upgrade to the Atwood instant hot water heater as it js junk. I'm going to change mine out to the Truma brand which all opinions I've heard state that it is a much better water heater. If you have a satellite choice, go with the Winegard Trav'ler and not a dome...better reception and can track all satellites instead of just one at a time.
scrowell52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 07:13 PM   #4

Thanks so much Stuart and Steve, really appreciate your comments. We are going to negotiate on both Monday and if one works out we will definitely get the sway bars and safety steer for front end. They are both new units, one leftover from 2016.

Thanks again,
On the go
Old 03-11-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

I had no problems with my Canyon Star. I loaded it up for travel and added filled it up with water and weighed it. Then set the tire pressure on each wheel. Went from NJ to Ca and back without an issue. I would think a longer wheel base would be more stable but each unit and driver is different.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:21 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
We just purchased a 2017 CS, if you think it handles badly you should have driven the Jayco Precept we had. The CS handles 200% better than our Jayco. I'm thinking a better wheelbase ratio, 26k chassis, and in our case going from 19.5 to 22.5 tires.

Steve
StevL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, I'm feeling better about the purchase now. How about going up mountains, will it be a real slooooow go.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 PM   #8

It has plenty of power going up hills. Further on the steering and sway. While driving our new coach from L.A to Oregon, I encountered some wandering on rutted roads and passing trunks. Also, some sway entering driveways or uneven surfaces. None of this was bad enough to be of concern, but I heard in conversations that it could be better. When I had Road Master install my TOAD hitch, I had them install the sway bars and stabilizer. As they say "You don't know what you don't know" Now, minimal sway on driveways and it almost drives it's self
Old 03-11-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post
It has plenty of power going up hills. Further on the steering and sway. While driving our new coach from L.A to Oregon, I encountered some wandering on rutted roads and passing trunks. Also, some sway entering driveways or uneven surfaces. None of this was bad enough to be of concern, but I heard in conversations that it could be better. When I had Road Master install my TOAD hitch, I had them install the sway bars and stabilizer. As they say "You don't know what you don't know" Now, minimal sway on driveways and it almost drives it's self

Agreed! Major improvement
Old 03-12-2017, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCrowell View Post

Thanks for your reply, what brand of sway bars and stabilizer did you use?
Old 03-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #11

BTW, does anyone have the 2017 Canyon Star with the king power retracting reclining bed. When down for sleeping it doesn't appear to have but a few inches at foot of bed . That might be a problem when getting up at night. We haven't actually seen one but noticed in one of the pictures online.
Thanks ,
On the go
Old 03-12-2017, 07:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by On the go View Post
BTW, does anyone have the 2017 Canyon Star with the king power retracting reclining bed. When down for sleeping it doesn't appear to have but a few inches at foot of bed . That might be a problem when getting up at night. We haven't actually seen one but noticed in one of the pictures online.
Thanks ,
On the go
Its very tight. The whole bedroom is tight. Its the reason we are looking more towards the 3953. Although I really love the living area in the 3914. I'd like to upgrade from our current KS in the next year or two. I have thought about having a 3914 built with a queen bed and windows beside the bed instead of over it. That might be an option for us as we really don't care for a king bed anyway. But its still tight at the foot of the bed. I don't understand why they don''t add another slide for the bedroom as in the 3953. It would really help that plan.
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:56 AM   #13

Quote:

Roadmaster
Old 03-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

I used this oneClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1489328462.311079.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	171.0 KB
ID:	154534 and the largest Safety T Steer stabilizer, plus the CHF on the rear. This is where I would start knowing what I know now.