Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Canyon Star 3610 bath and a half

Considering a Canyon Star 3610. From the specs on Newmar site it appears it has two black tanks. Does anyone know where they are located relative to the two stools? Are they right below each? If not and there is a pipe run, are macerating stools recommended?
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Considering a Canyon Star 3610. From the specs on Newmar site it appears it has two black tanks. Does anyone know where they are located relative to the two stools? Are they right below each? If not and there is a pipe run, are macerating stools recommended?
IMO you are smart to ask. I would hope that Newmar HAS used two tanks for direct vertical flushing, because that eliminates the need for a more complex toilet. That was the method they used on my 2003 KSCA, and we never had a problem. Back then, they connected the two black tanks at a single dump valve to eliminate the need to attach the discharge hose at two different locations. I'm not sure they still do this, which I think makes for extra work for the owner.

Also, I would not rely heavily on what you see in their website "specs" as they are often filled with "typos"- take a look at the specs for wheel base, for example. I also noticed they show the larger tank capacity on one of the single toilet 39 footers, which I suspect is another example of how sloppy they are about website specs.

To be clear, I think Newmar builds a good coach, and often wish we still had ours, but I think their website proof-reader should be reassigned.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good question. We are looking at either a Canyon 3610 or an Allegro 36LA. Our Vista has two separate tanks and a macerator pump from the half bath to the opposite side to the regular dump valve.....sort of a pain to dump.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 03:49 PM   #4

Save yourself a bunch of money and jump up to a Ventana with a diesel. We have a 13 Baystar and the Ford F53 is not a very good chassis even for it. And it is much smaller then Canyon Star and they share the same engine, trany and 5.38 gear ratio. You will have to change out the junk stock shocks, add a rear trac bar and do the CHF just to make it somewhat comfortable to drive and ride in. Don't forget the Five Star Tune to help with shifting and power issues. For the price of a loaded Canyon Star you are in Ventana country. If we ever get another rig, it won't be a gasser. But will probably be a Newmar.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Not sure how moving to Ventana is saving me a bunch of money? If comparing new, Ventana at least $70k more. I have been reading the gas vs diesel debate. From looking at prices online seems like for an equivalent budget, need to get diesel about 6 or 7 years older than equivalent floorplan gas. Not settled in my mind trade-off between driveability and amenities given a particular budget.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #6

It's way cheaper to just buy the Ventana, then to buy a Canyon now and a Ventana in a year or two. I'm speaking from experience, you will not be happy with the gasser once you drive it much, like the first long trip. Way cheaper to buy one then two. I don't care what you buy, but you don't need to make the same mistake we did. We love th Baystar to camp in, but the ride and drive need a lot of help. We will have had the Baystar 2 years come July. Probably be gone within a year, if that long. Just depends how much we use it. Probably go to a Dutchstar with a bath and half, as it has more power then the Ventana and a real jake brake, not a exhaust brake. Don't want to make another mistake.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to the forum & irv2.
Looking at the Brochure will check your model 3610. Here is a Owners Guide for CS.

"Just read the guide both toilets drop directly into each tank pg 66."

Both the 36 and 39 bath1/2 models have 86 gal tanks with are large for one but maybe a combination of two.
I have a 03 bath 1/2 and two tanks both tanks under toilets, one is a 45 for rear and a 50 for toilet and sink combination.
In the 03 brochure only the 50 was listed.
New DP's have one tank with two macerating toilets.
I would not think a CS would have that because of cost.
The plumbing will be interesting on 3610 both toilets and kitchen are all on same side.
Good luck and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:44 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I emailed contact at Newmar that I met at the NJ RV show with the question and a couple others. Will post what response I get.
Old 03-05-2014, 03:14 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mricet1005 View Post
Not sure how moving to Ventana is saving me a bunch of money? If comparing new, Ventana at least $70k more. I have been reading the gas vs diesel debate. From looking at prices online seems like for an equivalent budget, need to get diesel about 6 or 7 years older than equivalent floorplan gas. Not settled in my mind trade-off between driveability and amenities given a particular budget.
Very Good Point!!! You can buy alot off gas for $70K. We also do not put the mileage either for a diesel.

We have over 8K miles on our rig, have gone south twice and south to Oklahoma and back across to the East Coast. I did not have any handling issues. Does it drive like a Cadillac... NO, like a Mac Truck...... NO, Better than a Volvo truck...... Yes.

As for your Question, I have not seen a CS3610, but looking at the picks I would say to Tanks. There appears to be Drain pipes in the Water hook up compartment in front of the Rear wheels and one in the Rear but the Electrical door. Both on the Left side.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 05:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Very Good Point!!! You can buy alot off gas for $70K. We also do not put the mileage either for a diesel.

We have over 8K miles on our rig, have gone south twice and south to Oklahoma and back across to the East Coast. I did not have any handling issues. Does it drive like a Cadillac... NO, like a Mac Truck...... NO, Better than a Volvo truck...... Yes.

As for your Question, I have not seen a CS3610, but looking at the picks I would say to Tanks. There appears to be Drain pipes in the Water hook up compartment in front of the Rear wheels and one in the Rear but the Electrical door. Both on the Left side.
Mac is the best computer ever made. MACK is the best truck ever made.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Save yourself a bunch of money and jump up to a Ventana with a diesel. We have a 13 Baystar and the Ford F53 is not a very good chassis even for it. And it is much smaller then Canyon Star and they share the same engine, trany and 5.38 gear ratio. You will have to change out the junk stock shocks, add a rear trac bar and do the CHF just to make it somewhat comfortable to drive and ride in. Don't forget the Five Star Tune to help with shifting and power issues. For the price of a loaded Canyon Star you are in Ventana country. If we ever get another rig, it won't be a gasser. But will probably be a Newmar.
Perhaps you should have bought the Tiffin 36LA gas model.
Would not have had to upgrade to the Ventana. Absolutely no regrets.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:50 PM   #12

You should buy your last coach first. I want a K3 Spartan with 600 HP for the next rig.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:43 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
2 tanks

The rep from Newmar, Dave Garl, replied that there were two tanks. He did not say, but as earlier reported by "007" that they are directly below the two stools. According to Dave, they have separate dump valves which is a bit of a pain having to dump them separately.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:15 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have a 13 Canyon Star 3856 and love it. Looked at Dutch star and Ventana both were really nice but since we are not FT all that extra money does not make since. We only use it for weekends and one or two long trips a year. Rig has plenty of power going over the mountains and pulling the toad. Newmar makes a great product gas or diesel ....... SAFE TRAVELS.........
rwjsim is offline   Reply With Quote