Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #1

Canyon Star 3911 Adj Bed Modification

Just purchased a used 2014 Canyon Star 3911 handicapped RV. Currently in process of modifying to our needs. Wife needs an adjustable bed. This unit doesn't have one. The Specs say the queen bed dimensions are 60 X 80 but that is not quite true. The current bed platform is 78 1/2" and it hits the handle of drawer ,in fact the current platform actually rides up and over drawer knob when slides are pulled in. I could fit a 60X80 Queen unit in but would need to remove the bottom three drawer facings to do it. Don't really want to do that but willing to entertain creative ideas. Looking for assistance. Anyone done anything like this?
pbrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have a 2013 3911, which we bought new. We have made a few necessary mods:

1. Took out dinette to make room for a recliner/lift chair for me.

2. Took out couch to make room for a swivel rocker for wife.

3. Bought custom foam wedge, which we covered with fabric. It covers my half of bed. I use this in place of a lift bed, which I use at b&s. I wish I could buy or construct a head-only electric raiser/lowerer without major re-engineering of bed platform.

4. Installed a powered (with remote) opener/closer for lift door. Push a button on remote, door opens. (aah, freedom & independence)

5. Installed a remote controller for Braun Century II wheelchair lift. Push several buttons in proper sequence & lift goes through it's maneuvers (aah, even more freedom & independence)

6. Lowered shower lip to make it more user friendly for Hoyer body lift.

If anyone has any questions about our mods, post or PM me. If anyone has a solution for my "lift" bed, post or PM me.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 03:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrod View Post
Just purchased a used 2014 Canyon Star 3911 handicapped RV. Currently in process of modifying to our needs. Wife needs an adjustable bed. This unit doesn't have one. The Specs say the queen bed dimensions are 60 X 80 but that is not quite true. The current bed platform is 78 1/2" and it hits the handle of drawer ,in fact the current platform actually rides up and over drawer knob when slides are pulled in. I could fit a 60X80 Queen unit in but would need to remove the bottom three drawer facings to do it. Don't really want to do that but willing to entertain creative ideas. Looking for assistance. Anyone done anything like this?
If this is a used unit did someone lower the bed? We lowered ours 5" but had to shorten it 4" to prevent it from hitting the drawers. Our mattress is still 80" as it can ride over the drawers but if you want an adjustable bed that won't work. Could you raise your bed base to clear the drawers? Can't offer too much help as I don't know the dimensions of the Canyon Star.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:52 PM   #4

I never gave that any thought but it is possible. I bought the unit at a dealership and I have to say the salesman was evasive about a couple of items. I did notice holes in the headboard and the the hinge on the platform looked damaged. Does anyone know the depth of storage area under bed platform?

Peter and Jan
2014 Canyon Star 3911
Old 02-07-2016, 04:44 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Matress Genie

My friend added this to his bed and I recently purchased it for our bed for my wife's gerd issues.

Mattress Genie Bed Lift System

This system raises and lowers only the head.

My buddy says it works well. I did check his out before buying but have not installed mine yet.

Before I bought this, we have pillows underneath the top of the mattress to raise the head up.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 06:42 PM   #6

Here's what I found out and what I am going to do. The bed platform was lowered by previous owner but was left too long and therefore it now hits drawer pulls. I will need to shorten this to clear these pulls.

Currently have a split queen adjustable bed at home. This size is now very hard(impossible) to find. I am going to move this bed to RV and replace it with 2 twin xl for the house... The foot of the split queen shortens when the bottom is raised and I will have to raise it to make room for the slides to come in.

As past travels have taken us to many boondocks I will need to have power to the unit at all times. The RV does have an inverter for at least the tvs. I am not familiar enough to know if any outlets in the area are on the inverter and it is too cold out there right now to do any research.. Anyone know what the inverter powers in the 3911? At any rate it will need power - I believe our power usage will allow us to use the current inverter.. Any help appreciated.

Can't wait to get on the road.

Peter and Jan
Old 02-14-2016, 05:37 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to see you have a plan. On my CS3940 there is a receptacle on each side of the bed. Both are on the inverter. I do have the 2000 Watt inverter. When I am not connected to shore power the inverter will run all receptacles, TV's and even the Microwave. What size inverter do you have?
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #8

We have the 600 watt inverter. I've seen the receptacles but I haven't checked them. Currently -9 too cold to go out and check now. Anyone know what is powered by the 600 watt?

Peter and Jan
2014 CS 3911
Old 02-14-2016, 07:23 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
We have the 600 watt inverter. I've seen the receptacles but I haven't checked them. Currently -9 too cold to go out and check now. Anyone know what is powered by the 600 watt?

Peter and Jan

2014 CS 3911

Those powered by the inverter may have a small white label near the receptacle. My 2013 Canyon Star does.

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottie)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan Toad
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #10

Quote:

Peter and Jan
2014 CS 3911
According to Newmar the 600 watt inverter only powers the A/V systems (TV, DVD etc.) It does not power any other 120v outlets.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat