Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #1

Canyon star 3911 gfci and outlets have no power

The outlets and gfci went out in my newmar in the back part of rv. I do not have power to the gfci. I have power coming out of the main breaker that goes to the bedroom outlets. I have checked the inverter and it is working fine.
I ran a wire from the main inverter breaker for the bedroom to the gfci in the bathroom. It worked and ran only the drivers side of the bedroom. The passenger side of the rv has no power to the outlets. The other outlets that are on circuit 4 go to the tv below and two other outlets below in the bays. They have power with the breaker got wired to gfci. They did not have power before running the new wire.
So this tells me that the main wire from the breaker panel that goes to the gfci and the wires that go back to the outlets in the passenger side slideout have come undone or shorting out?
Has anyone else ever had this happen.
The inverter is powering no problem to the fridge and microwave and forward plugs. Like I said earlier it has power coming out of the breaker but just not getting to the gfci.
Thanks in advance.
Gayle
gpdakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2022, 07:32 PM   #2

Hi, not tracking on the "ran a wire" part...you ran a whole new piece of romex to an outlet ? Regardless have you pulled the dead outlet and tested the wires ? It's a pretty rare event for wiring to fail, not saying it's impossible. More common event is there is another gfci outlet that is popped somewhere, or the outlet itself is toast...but see if the wires are hot.
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2022, 09:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
Hi, not tracking on the "ran a wire" part...you ran a whole new piece of romex to an outlet ? Regardless have you pulled the dead outlet and tested the wires ? It's a pretty rare event for wiring to fail, not saying it's impossible. More common event is there is another gfci outlet that is popped somewhere, or the outlet itself is toast...but see if the wires are hot.

Yes. Ran a piece of Romex from the breaker to the gfci. Then half the coach worked. No. There is no power on either side of the gfci with the regular configuration. No other gfci from what newmar tech support have told me or shown me on there diagram they sent me. There is one gfi in the kitchen, one in bath. Thatís it for the plugs.
Looking for someone that may have had a similar problem.
Old 05-30-2022, 11:40 AM   #4

I think everyone has had electrical problems like this.

Does your inverter have two outbound 120v feeds to coach ? If yes maybe one is suspect.
Check the breaker at the panel. Is it seated, is it hot, are the wires tight. Maybe swap the breaker, they are inexpensive and spares are a good idea. (first make sure everything is off to the panel- batteries, inverter, house feed please)
If you say there is no power coming to that outlet, meaning you put a multi meter on the two wires and get nothing - and you have verified a hot breaker, I guess that leaves something interrupting the power from the panel to that outlet, yes I state the obvious but with electrical just be methodical. A single floating neutral can cause weird issues like this - I mean one loose wire at any outlet on the circuit.
I find this very handy for testing wiring at the outlet. It finds floating neutrals. https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Iceclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 05:45 AM   #5

On my Canyon Star I found one circuit that had 2 consecutive GFCIs. That was a real pain to track down.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceclimber View Post
I think everyone has had electrical problems like this.

Does your inverter have two outbound 120v feeds to coach ? If yes maybe one is suspect.
Check the breaker at the panel. Is it seated, is it hot, are the wires tight. Maybe swap the breaker, they are inexpensive and spares are a good idea. (first make sure everything is off to the panel- batteries, inverter, house feed please)
If you say there is no power coming to that outlet, meaning you put a multi meter on the two wires and get nothing - and you have verified a hot breaker, I guess that leaves something interrupting the power from the panel to that outlet, yes I state the obvious but with electrical just be methodical. A single floating neutral can cause weird issues like this - I mean one loose wire at any outlet on the circuit.
I find this very handy for testing wiring at the outlet. It finds floating neutrals. https://www.amazon.com/Sperry-Instru...NrPXRydWU&th=1
Yes. Iíve done everything with the inverter. Reset the whole nine yards. I have 120 coming out of the breaker. So I know I am getting power. And as I stated I ran a new wire to the gfi and half the coach is fine in the bedroom. I bet their is another gfi that newmar put in. I am calling them today. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-31-2022, 07:42 AM   #7

Where was yours located?at this point I would love to find another gfi. I am curious if it is under the sleep number bed. That is the only place I have not had someone crawl into and check. All this started by plugging in a small heater and the circuit went dead. It doesn’t seem like a loose wire. I have power to the breaker and out of the breaker. I hot wired the gfi in the bathroom and the bed side outlets work. It may be the load side under the bed that goes to the other side of the coach. The line side may be hooked into the bed on another gfi. One side of it would be powered but not the other. Thanks for the help
Old 05-31-2022, 07:55 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdakota View Post
Where was yours located?at this point I would love to find another gfi. I am curious if it is under the sleep number bed. That is the only place I have not had someone crawl into and check. All this started by plugging in a small heater and the circuit went dead. It doesnít seem like a loose wire. I have power to the breaker and out of the breaker. I hot wired the gfi in the bathroom and the bed side outlets work. It may be the load side under the bed that goes to the other side of the coach. The line side may be hooked into the bed on another gfi. One side of it would be powered but not the other. Thanks for the help
Have you ever looked at an outlet once removed in a Newmar? The wiring could easily come loose within one of those outlets. How about the outlet that you originally had the heater on? The wiring is usually daisy-chained within an outlet.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 11:55 AM   #9

Yes. I have outlets hanging everywhere. Ha. But there should be power going directly from breaker to gfci. No power at gfci. All power should be after gfci.
Old 05-31-2022, 01:13 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpdakota View Post
Yes. I have outlets hanging everywhere. Ha. But there should be power going directly from breaker to gfci. No power at gfci. All power should be after gfci.
Your statement is absolutely correct, but, stranger things have been done wrong before. Hopefully Newmar can let you know exactly where your GFI's are located.
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 06:53 PM   #11

Have you checked for a ground fault in the bay door compartments?
Country Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchstar411 View Post
Have you ever looked at an outlet once removed in a Newmar? The wiring could easily come loose within one of those outlets. How about the outlet that you originally had the heater on? The wiring is usually daisy-chained within an outlet.

Yep. I took the outlet out and actually put a regular outlet in just to check it. I have power coming out of my breaker. I ran Romex to the gfi. I have power on all outlets in that circuit except power to the three outlets in the slideout. I took drawers out and found where the wires go into slideout but still no power. I am not getting power to the gfi unless I run a separate Romex to bypass the original wiring. There must be another gfi someplace that newmar doesnít know about or I have a break in the original wire going to the gfi. Power goes from breaker to gfi first then daisy chains down. Or thatís the way it is supposed to work. Maybe not on newmar. Very frustrating with no drawings to show where the wire is run. Newmar doesnít have drawings they said of the wiring location.
Old 06-02-2022, 06:24 AM   #13

No GFI outlets in any storage bays? That seems odd as I think all MHs I've had had one or more in bays.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 08:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
No GFI outlets in any storage bays? That seems odd as I think all MHs I've had had one or more in bays.

The outlets in the bays are on the gfci that I am having problems with. There is not an actual gfci down there. It is hooked to the gfci in the bathroom. They have power when I run the new Romex to the gfci. And no ground fault. It is the actual wire coming from the breaker to the gfci that I am having a problem with or another gfci hidden. The coach is torn apart, there are no other gfcis in the open unless newmar tucked one under the bed or someplace you canít get too. Or I have a short in my wire. The only outlets not working when I run the new Romex are three in the slideout. Itís going into for service on the 22nd. Iíll let them pull there hair out. Iím sure itís something simple, I just canít find it. Iím doing all this from a wheelchair so it hasnít been exactly fun. I had two other mechanic friends, one an engineer and other aircraft mechanic and we canít find it.

Tags
canyon star, no power, power