Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2022, 01:45 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Welcome to my In-Depth Canyon Star front engine diesel review. This latest offering from Newmar has stirred quite a bit of interest in the RV industry. This coach marks the first real attempt in over a decade to offer a Class A coach with a front mounted diesel engine. After studying the new Canyon Star diesel coach for nearly a year now, I finally pulled the trigger and have one of these exciting new coaches from Newmar in my garage.

In this In-Depth Review -We値l talk about the many advantages made possible by Freightliner MC chassis. We値l also discuss the MC痴 suspension, air ride, air brakes, engine brake and more importantly, the rumors and real scoop on engine noise. I値l also cover the many performance advantages of an RV with front engine placement over a pusher coach using the same engine and transmission.

I'll also Share my $50 Air Bag Dump - Which allows for improved leveling and a major advantage to lower the tail gate ramp for easier loading of bikes or vehicles in the 3927's garage. I値l also show you where you might find a factory air dump hidden on the chassis.

I値l also share a few images and specs - On my newly designed 12/51/120 volt Dual Voltage / Dual Inverter Hybrid 32,000 watt hour lithium upgrade on my Canyon Star, making it ideal for boon docking, business, or just multiple over night stays at rest stops enjoying your A/C without running the generator.

I値l Also share my Anti-Winterizing System - Where by using only 3 Xtreme Heaters boat / RV heaters to heat the tank compartments and interior, avoids winterizing the Canyon Star. I値l share adding a much needed Macerator for effortless dumping, improving your headlights and adding an air horn. On wiring, I値l share the locations of dozens of Newmar and Freightliner wiring flaws to avoid leaving you stranded on the side of the road. Visual wise, I値l show you how to get rid of Canyon Stars 3927 terrible looking 釘lack Holes under each entry doors.

I値l also disclose a major 鉄hift Error Problem - Which affects Canyon Star diesel models, where by simply forgetting to shift to neutral before turning the key off, could leave you and your beautiful Canyon Star stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow to Allison.

Finally, I would like to dedicate this article to my Newmar friend "007" one of the most hard working RV Administrators on the planet. Year after year, he dedicates countless hours to help other RV owners. 007 thank you for your tireless service!

Stay Safe - Mike Mas

Click the link below for my In-Depth Review!

http://www.rotory.com/coach/canyon/

Great review with lots of information. There is no air horn on the CS? How does the air horn you installed perform?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2022, 08:27 AM   #58

Thanks for the reply - Yes it was puzzling why Freightliner they could not add one under the hood all the air lines are in place. The horn I picked up works perfect very loud and the best part is there is no air tanks or leaks to worry about. It uses a high speed electric motor with a pump direct to the horns. Super easy to install. I ran a wire pair thru the firewall and mounted a spring return switch by the shifter.

Every motorhome needs an air horn it can help prevent accidents. if a truck is coming over to push you out of your lane the stock horn would be worthless. Make sure you mount them in the open as I did so they remain as loud as possible.

Here's an image the set I bought best $30.00 you can spend on an RV. There's dozens to chooze from on A or Ebay!

Thanks - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-02-20 at 9.24.04 AM.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	209.3 KB
ID:	357073   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2637.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	357074  

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 08:54 AM   #59

Newmar Owners Club
Mike - Yet another question. On your CS, does the shift selector have a park position. I was reading the Allison Manual, https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight...l.html?SM_USER, and it says the FRED has the Aren-shift-by-wire and in the diagram shows a Park position.

On our 2021 CS 3927, our shift selector only has R-N-D. So I was wondering if they put a different shift selector in ours, as it doesn't match what the Allison manual describes for the FRED.
Woodchuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:44 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck123 View Post
Mike - Yet another question. On your CS, does the shift selector have a park position. I was reading the Allison Manual, https://dtnacontent-dtna.prd.freight...l.html?SM_USER, and it says the FRED has the Aren-shift-by-wire and in the diagram shows a Park position.

On our 2021 CS 3927, our shift selector only has R-N-D. So I was wondering if they put a different shift selector in ours, as it doesn't match what the Allison manual describes for the FRED.

Hello - thanks for the reply - Most Electronic shifters only have PND and no park feature. Generally speaking, whenever an RV has air brakes, they use a "spring over air" parking brake instead of a mechanical parking paw gear lock like typical automotive parking brakes. The air over spring is a very powerful brake system where it requires over 40 lbs of air to release the brake. For the same token should the pressure drop below 40 lbs the brake may self release and lock the rear wheels. This is a very secure park brake system since it cannot even be released unless you start the engine and to fill the air tanks.

Thanks Mike
Old 02-28-2022, 12:28 PM   #61

Newmar Owners Club
I guess I wasn't very clear with my question.

I was thinking about your transmission issue on your maiden voyage where you had turned it off while in D and then it wouldn't restart. So I was trying to figure out if I had a different shift selector or not to understand my risk of this happening to me.

I plan to put a label by the key reminding me to put it in N before turning off the engine.
Old 03-01-2022, 09:07 AM   #62

Quote:
I guess I wasn't very clear with my question.

I was thinking about your transmission issue on your maiden voyage where you had turned it off while in D and then it wouldn't restart. So I was trying to figure out if I had a different shift selector or not to understand my risk of this happening to me.

I plan to put a label by the key reminding me to put it in N before turning off the engine.

Thanks for the reply - according to Freightliner all the MC Chassis Canyon Star RV's use the same Aerins / Freightliner shifter. For years I've been just pulling the brake and shutting down, but so far I have remembered each time and no further problems. Hopefully they will have an update for this problem. Enjoy your coach

Stay Safe - Mike
Old 03-01-2022, 09:18 AM   #63

5112 Dual Voltage - Dual Inverter - RV Lithium System - Mike Mas

Hello Canyon Star Owners, I just completed my latest Lithium RV upgrade on my Canyon Star called “5112 Dual Voltage - Dual Inverter - RV Lithium System” and wanted to add a link here on the Canyon Star thread. Note this is an independent review and non-sponcered, I paid for all my equipment

While the 5112 system is a major upgrade, if you look at just my 12 volt system upgrade, this can be done at a very reasonable cost and require very little modification of the coaches original wiring. Essentially, this replaces the horrible flooded batteries and add capacity to the 12 volt system and run the 2000 watt Xantrex inverter as well. I go over the two systems in the video individually.

While I have built and designed many lithium systems for over a decade now, this is my first system using Victron equipment and I can say I’ve really enjoyed the Victron's technology, advanced features and VRM connectivity. You'll find this film will answer a lot of questions regarding high voltage 48-51 volt lithium systems for users.

The 5112 system is unique and different than other lithium systems in operation today. I designed the 5112 System for larger Class A, Super C and Bus Conversions and for owners who require extended 50 amp “off the grid” service.

What makes the 5112 system unique is instead of the standard two “House & Chassis” battery groups, the 5112 system incorporates the use of a high capacity ”Third Lithium Battery Group” used exclusively for 120 volt inversion.

Powering the inversion system is four Lithionics 51 volt battery modules which output 30,720 watt hours, comparable to twenty five 100 ah lithium batteries or fifty AGM batteries.

Using a Victron Quattro 5000 watt 48 volt Inverter, the system can easily power two air conditioners, a cook top and refrigerator at the same time and still have reserve power. A single charge can power an A/C unit for 4-5 nights, or for even weeks with its solar system.

Through the use of high voltage 51 volt lithium batteries, the system uses 75% less amperage than 12 volt inverter system which eliminates past heat related losses, associated with 12 volt lithium inverter systems.

The 5112 system also included upgrading the AGM house batteries to lithium as well. The secondary system outputs 4,032 watt hours used solely for the RV’s slides, jacks, pumps and lights without the draw of an inverter. The 12 volt battery is also capable of starting or boosting the Cummins diesel engine. This 5112 system was installed in a Newmar’s new Canyon Star 3927 front engine Diesel toy hauler.

This review also includes my fully automatic “Anti-Winterizing Heater System” which eliminates the need to winterize the RV. The system heats the entire coach, water tanks, pumps and batteries. The electric heater system is powered by the 5112's 51 volt lithium system and capable of extended heating even during power failures.

I hope you find the film both enjoyable and informative.

Stay Safe - Mike Mas

5112 Dual Voltage Dual Inverter System Link:

Old 03-01-2022, 10:27 AM   #64

Quote:

I think your technical question was answered on other posts. But it brings up a VERY annoying aspect of the user and maintenance manuals from both Newmar and Freightliner. When I have to spend a significant amount of time figuring out which configuration I have, the consumer is not well served! Seems like they could tie the VIN/coach number to a table of applicable sections of the manuals. Rant over.
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 11:52 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Hello Canyon Star Owners, I just completed my latest Lithium RV upgrade on my Canyon Star called 5112 Dual Voltage - Dual Inverter - RV Lithium System and wanted to add a link here on the Canyon Star thread. Note this is an independent review and non-sponcered, I paid for all my equipment

While the 5112 system is a major upgrade, if you look at just my 12 volt system upgrade, this can be done at a very reasonable cost and require very little modification of the coaches original wiring. Essentially, this replaces the horrible flooded batteries and add capacity to the 12 volt system and run the 2000 watt Xantrex inverter as well. I go over the two systems in the video individually.

While I have built and designed many lithium systems for over a decade now, this is my first system using Victron equipment and I can say I致e really enjoyed the Victron's technology, advanced features and VRM connectivity. You'll find this film will answer a lot of questions regarding high voltage 48-51 volt lithium systems for users.

The 5112 system is unique and different than other lithium systems in operation today. I designed the 5112 System for larger Class A, Super C and Bus Conversions and for owners who require extended 50 amp 登ff the grid service.

What makes the 5112 system unique is instead of the standard two 滴ouse & Chassis battery groups, the 5112 system incorporates the use of a high capacity 乃hird Lithium Battery Group used exclusively for 120 volt inversion.

Powering the inversion system is four Lithionics 51 volt battery modules which output 30,720 watt hours, comparable to twenty five 100 ah lithium batteries or fifty AGM batteries.

Using a Victron Quattro 5000 watt 48 volt Inverter, the system can easily power two air conditioners, a cook top and refrigerator at the same time and still have reserve power. A single charge can power an A/C unit for 4-5 nights, or for even weeks with its solar system.

Through the use of high voltage 51 volt lithium batteries, the system uses 75% less amperage than 12 volt inverter system which eliminates past heat related losses, associated with 12 volt lithium inverter systems.

The 5112 system also included upgrading the AGM house batteries to lithium as well. The secondary system outputs 4,032 watt hours used solely for the RV痴 slides, jacks, pumps and lights without the draw of an inverter. The 12 volt battery is also capable of starting or boosting the Cummins diesel engine. This 5112 system was installed in a Newmar痴 new Canyon Star 3927 front engine Diesel toy hauler.

This review also includes my fully automatic 鄭nti-Winterizing Heater System which eliminates the need to winterize the RV. The system heats the entire coach, water tanks, pumps and batteries. The electric heater system is powered by the 5112's 51 volt lithium system and capable of extended heating even during power failures.

I hope you find the film both enjoyable and informative.

Stay Safe - Mike Mas

5112 Dual Voltage Dual Inverter System Link:

A lot of great technology here. I'm guessing it's pretty expensive.
Old 03-02-2022, 01:24 PM   #66

Regarding your new lithium video: Wow.
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:39 PM   #67

Hey thanks fo the replies - a system such as this is a bit pricey but getting better each day. On the flip side you can buy a 300ah Lithium battery on Amazon for around a $1000 which replaces 6 AGM or flooded batteries. Believe it or not this makes the lithium cheaper than AGM. and will last the life of the coach.

All you need is one 300 ah lithium battery and a $200 alternator charger from Victron and you have a working system for under $1500.

Regards Mike
Old 03-08-2022, 10:54 AM   #68

Wow, impressive review. This sure has got me seriously looking at the Canyon Star 3722 to replace my 2021 Tiffin Open Road 32sa.

Couple of questions, would you say the diesel noise level would be similar to diesel pick up truck? And are you saying this chassis doesn稚 need a Safety Steer added?

Thank you
Wayne Daul
jakerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 11:27 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerides View Post
Wow, impressive review. This sure has got me seriously looking at the Canyon Star 3722 to replace my 2021 Tiffin Open Road 32sa.

Couple of questions, would you say the diesel noise level would be similar to diesel pick up truck? And are you saying this chassis doesn’t need a Safety Steer added?

Thank you
Wayne Daul
Jake,

Thanks for the reply - I now have two friends who traded up their gas RV's for the new MC diesel chassis. Just to give you an idea of the difference between the gas and diesel models, Tiffin now offers a Liquid Spring Open Road model in an attempt to get the coach to drive decent. Of course even with the expensive modification it won't compare in the least to a Freightliner chassis.

Good luck in you venture Stay Safe - Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CS NIGHT SHOT.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	157.6 KB
ID:	358650  
Old 03-09-2022, 07:15 AM   #70

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerides View Post
Couple of questions, would you say the diesel noise level would be similar to diesel pick up truck? And are you saying this chassis doesn稚 need a Safety Steer added?
I have never had a diesel truck, but I can say my FRED is pretty quiet. It is a lot quieter than my Jeep Wrangler going down the highway. The only time I ever really hear the motor is when I really push on the accelerator and get the revs up to 2500 such as when accelerating to pass on the highway, merging onto the highway, or accelerating up a hill.

When just cruising it is a very low rumble and easy to have a conversation with the co-pilot.

We haven稚 added a safety-steer to ours. The freightliner chassis seems to work really well at minimizing getting blown around by passing trucks or just general sway. I think ours just needs a little more toe-in or the camber and it would drive effortlessly. It drives really nice with the cruise control on.

Tags
canyon star, diesel, view