Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-09-2022, 10:39 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Idleup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 993
Thanks for the replies - Once the Canyon Star cooling fan clutch kicks out and your cruising at highway speeds, engine noise level is barely detectable. The reason being, a Cummins diesel turns like half the rpm of a the past gas engines. In addition, only the Cummins 6.7L engine was re-engineered to be quiet (engine noise wise) as a gas engine. Even when the Star shifts to 5th gear climbing a hill it's still very quiet. While not as quiet as a pusher for obvious reasons the pusher engine is 30+ feet from the driver, the overall noise level is very acceptable, except when the fan or air pump is running.


Thanks Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STAR2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	358692  
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2022, 10:42 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle GA
Posts: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck123 View Post
I have never had a diesel truck, but I can say my FRED is pretty quiet. It is a lot quieter than my Jeep Wrangler going down the highway. The only time I ever really hear the motor is when I really push on the accelerator and get the revs up to 2500 such as when accelerating to pass on the highway, merging onto the highway, or accelerating up a hill.

When just cruising it is a very low rumble and easy to have a conversation with the co-pilot.

We haven’t added a safety-steer to ours. The freightliner chassis seems to work really well at minimizing getting blown around by passing trucks or just general sway. I think ours just needs a little more toe-in or the camber and it would drive effortlessly. It drives really nice with the cruise control on.
I pretty much concur with Woodchuck123, EXCEPT when the fan comes on, which has only happened when we are driving in really hot weather while accelerating to get on the interstate, or on the 8-9% grades in WVA. The first time I thought something broke. Then for a time, I thought it was the sound regen makes (even though there were no dash lights). It sounds like a hurricane inside the cab for 20-40 seconds. Since it doesn't happen very often, its acceptable to us for the other drivability plusses on the FRED compared to our old Coachmen 33 ft gasser.
__________________
George and Linda
-2021 Newmar CS 3927 toy toter
-2016 F150 Supercrew TOAD
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:51 AM   #73
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SOCAL, CA
Posts: 167
Morning, interesting thread



Interesting thread. A few years ago, we downsized from the Funmover 39C above. We enjoy travels in the small C currently, but after this summer's trip to Alaska, would like to go big again. We are riders. Dirt, street and almost always off grid. I reviewed the capacities of the 3927 a while back, it is on our possible list. A few questions if I may? Sorry, this is the only dedicated 3927 thread I found.

1. My old Funmover we put 92k miles on had a C7 CAT engine and a 3060 heavy duty ALLISON. That engine had 860 ft/lbs torque, 300 hp. NEVER met a hill it liked! carried a solid payload, 4000+ lbs and towed a Jeep Rubi. I see the 3927 has a smaller torque number and the 2500 trans, smaller weight all around. How does it do on hills? We live out west, frequent mountain areas. Tight in mountain roads, such as Stanley, ID, the Sierras, etc.
2. We take the motorhomes on dirt roads. Some abuse kinda goes with the territory. Is the Newmar rugged enough in your experience ?
3. With RV's there's always some assembly required, some shenanigans. Is the 3927 easy to access for service?
4. Any new diesel engine issues? My C7 HEUI engine had some gremlins, and I understand 6.7 Cummins had issues, I don't know if those been resolved, CP4 pump, regen stuff. Also is there extended warranty for this coach's engine?

The coach will be used for extended tours in ride areas, and may support other riders. Thanks

Chuck
__________________
23u thor
Avid kayaker, dirt and adv motorcycles off
Hitch rack or towed jeep
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 06:56 AM   #74
Junior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigham View Post


Interesting thread. A few years ago, we downsized from the Funmover 39C above. We enjoy travels in the small C currently, but after this summer's trip to Alaska, would like to go big again. We are riders. Dirt, street and almost always off grid. I reviewed the capacities of the 3927 a while back, it is on our possible list. A few questions if I may? Sorry, this is the only dedicated 3927 thread I found.

1. My old Funmover we put 92k miles on had a C7 CAT engine and a 3060 heavy duty ALLISON. That engine had 860 ft/lbs torque, 300 hp. NEVER met a hill it liked! carried a solid payload, 4000+ lbs and towed a Jeep Rubi. I see the 3927 has a smaller torque number and the 2500 trans, smaller weight all around. How does it do on hills? We live out west, frequent mountain areas. Tight in mountain roads, such as Stanley, ID, the Sierras, etc.
2. We take the motorhomes on dirt roads. Some abuse kinda goes with the territory. Is the Newmar rugged enough in your experience ?
3. With RV's there's always some assembly required, some shenanigans. Is the 3927 easy to access for service?
4. Any new diesel engine issues? My C7 HEUI engine had some gremlins, and I understand 6.7 Cummins had issues, I don't know if those been resolved, CP4 pump, regen stuff. Also is there extended warranty for this coach's engine?

The coach will be used for extended tours in ride areas, and may support other riders. Thanks

Chuck
We tow a Jeep Unlimited without much in the garage, and our 3927 does the hills just fine. The bigger ones do cause it to slow down, but on the longer grades it ever so slowly starts to pickup speed as it goes up the grade. So we keep up with all the trucks and then some. And it does this without making a ton of noise.

Turning radius is quite good too.

No drivetrain issues (yet). When we bought ours, we bought an extended warranty via Cornerstone that covers both the house and the chassis. Fortunately we haven’t had to use it, but it claims to cover a lot of things including the drivetrain.

I would imagine it would make a nice support vehicle for a peloton of riders of all sorts of bikes.
__________________
2021 Newmar Canyon Star 3927
Pulling a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU Freedom Edition
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar w Brake Buddy Classic 3
Woodchuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 09:41 AM   #75
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SOCAL, CA
Posts: 167
Thanks, Woodchuck

The Funmover was about 3,4k lbs more fully loaded than this 3927 will be. I recall crawling up the 15 fwy Cajon grade at 35-40 mph towing JKU Jeep with 2300 lbs bikes, RZR in back and various cargo in storage below, tools, kayak, etc. Crawling up the 395 between Bishop and Mammoth also a tough one at 30 mph. Never, ever got close to overheating tho. Mathematically, the Newmar about the same HP/weight, but less capacity transmission, engine.

I found a spec sticker online, shows with the 8k generator, beds in back, full fuel no water, propane carrying capacity is 2800 lbs. The particular options added up to 27200lbs. Full propane and water is 729 lbs. That brings us to 2171 lbs for cargo and people to get to 30k lbs. Jeep is 5k towed so possibly over by 2k combined gross weight.

2 bikes 260 lbs 500exc and 468 lbs 790r is 728 lbs
3 bodies , driver, wife, kid 450 lbs
Gear, cloths books, ect for each. 240 lbs
Cookware, misc tools, inflatable kayak. 250 lbs
Food. 150 lbs
Handy in head math. 1518 lbs
Real tight at remaining 653 lbs
Kids bike option. 196 lbs
So now. 457 lbs

Tow a Jeep Rubicon mostly stock. 5000 lbs. Total combined weight is 33k Not a lot of extra capacity, I do wish Newmar put the heavier trans, engine on.

That said, the Newmar looks more "homelike" for extended trips. Wanting to get away from the industrial look for the wife's comfort and privacy. Separate bedroom a game changer I think. Being able to sleep people in front of the bathroom and also the garage a plus. Only other of interest is a Thor Outlaw gasser, maybe class C. Doesn't seem stout in the rear area for cargo.

Appreciate it,

Chuck
__________________
23u thor
Avid kayaker, dirt and adv motorcycles off
Hitch rack or towed jeep
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 10:29 AM   #76
Junior Member
 
kathyjewell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbigham View Post
The Funmover was about 3,4k lbs more fully loaded than this 3927 will be. I recall crawling up the 15 fwy Cajon grade at 35-40 mph towing JKU Jeep with 2300 lbs bikes, RZR in back and various cargo in storage below, tools, kayak, etc. Crawling up the 395 between Bishop and Mammoth also a tough one at 30 mph. Never, ever got close to overheating tho. Mathematically, the Newmar about the same HP/weight, but less capacity transmission, engine.

I found a spec sticker online, shows with the 8k generator, beds in back, full fuel no water, propane carrying capacity is 2800 lbs. The particular options added up to 27200lbs. Full propane and water is 729 lbs. That brings us to 2171 lbs for cargo and people to get to 30k lbs. Jeep is 5k towed so possibly over by 2k combined gross weight.

2 bikes 260 lbs 500exc and 468 lbs 790r is 728 lbs
3 bodies , driver, wife, kid 450 lbs
Gear, cloths books, ect for each. 240 lbs
Cookware, misc tools, inflatable kayak. 250 lbs
Food. 150 lbs
Handy in head math. 1518 lbs
Real tight at remaining 653 lbs
Kids bike option. 196 lbs
So now. 457 lbs

Tow a Jeep Rubicon mostly stock. 5000 lbs. Total combined weight is 33k Not a lot of extra capacity, I do wish Newmar put the heavier trans, engine on.

That said, the Newmar looks more "homelike" for extended trips. Wanting to get away from the industrial look for the wife's comfort and privacy. Separate bedroom a game changer I think. Being able to sleep people in front of the bathroom and also the garage a plus. Only other of interest is a Thor Outlaw gasser, maybe class C. Doesn't seem stout in the rear area for cargo.

Appreciate it,

Chuck
We had a funmover before the 3927.

I didn't drive the old one, but hubby did drive it and says this one pulls like a dream.

We haul a dirt bike, 2 bikes, 2 kayaks, pull a Honda pilot on a dolly.

We haven't done any huge hills/mountains. Just from Nappanee, to FL, then FL, to SC, and around this area a bit. We picked up in the fall, and hubby is recovering from a total knee replacement right now. We have a lot of trips planned this summer once he heals.

The fun mover was fully loaded with the equipment listed above plus, he added custom made cabinets along the sides. We never did a weight on it. But it was heavy!!!

Oh and let your wife know the separate bedroom is a game changer. Yea for a "real" bed!

Our upgrades for the 3927 are sleep number bed, residential fridge (gives you extra batteries, heat pump in the garage (give you a bigger generator), outlets on inverter in bedroom. FYI, that upgrades your inverter to whole house and 3,000 watts, and washer/dryer in garage, tv in the garage, outside TV.

We use the risk racing lock-n-load so no tiedowns (aka trip the wife ropes) in the garage to hold up the dirt bike. He also has the gas can holder thingy (yes technical term lol). We just use the bike rack from the car in the garage to hold up the bikes. We're working on a how we set it up video for our YouTube channel but it will probably be late summer before that is done since we both still work full time. He was also able to get a tool box between the step into the garage and the door (under the TV) so they are easy to reach. He uses a "bottom" box and a top box setup.

Since it's just the 2 of us, we took out one of the bench seats in the back, so we can still use the table and bench in the garage and not have to unload the dirt bike. It *just* fits between the garage door and the washer/dryer cabinet. He need to kick the back out slightly.

The only upgrade I wish I hadn't done is the TV in the garage since our kayaks need to go in diagonally and just fit. We use a rag to prevent them from scratching the TV, it's just a matter of time before it has a scratch across it.

You won't regret this decision!
__________________
2022 Canyon Star 3927
Follow us on You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClV...xcVVq_XVvFZ0w/
kathyjewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2022, 09:14 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle GA
Posts: 291
Mike:
What year/model Can Am do you have and did you have to remove the step (going from bedroom to garage) in order to stuff it in there?

We are considering a new or late model Can Am Spyder RT Limited but I want to make sure it will fit in our 2021 Canyon Star 3927 garage. The newer Can Am RT's are specified as 111.5" long.

How much clearance do you have front and back to the Can Am to the wall and ramp surface when the ramp is closed?

Lastly, did you have any problems with the Can Am dragging on the ramp at the bottom or top?
__________________
George and Linda
-2021 Newmar CS 3927 toy toter
-2016 F150 Supercrew TOAD
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 09:52 AM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SOCAL, CA
Posts: 167
Kathyjewell, Thanks

That's some useful info, especially the various options. We usually dry camp, and will need to add solar. With a 13 yr old, a little privacy would be good with that bedroom. Appears to be very residential.. like a 1 bed condo instead of an RV Our kayaks are heavy duty inflatable Sea Eagles, easy to store. (Tho I have had my eye on one of the Hobie Mirage pedal models)


[IMG]//[/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Nice camp spots almost always down a dirt road


some pics for kayak inspiration !
Thanks,

Chuck
__________________
23u thor
Avid kayaker, dirt and adv motorcycles off
Hitch rack or towed jeep
cbigham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 07:42 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
Idleup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by evofxdwg View Post
Mike:
What year/model Can Am do you have and did you have to remove the step (going from bedroom to garage) in order to stuff it in there?

We are considering a new or late model Can Am Spyder RT Limited but I want to make sure it will fit in our 2021 Canyon Star 3927 garage. The newer Can Am RT's are specified as 111.5" long.

How much clearance do you have front and back to the Can Am to the wall and ramp surface when the ramp is closed?

Lastly, did you have any problems with the Can Am dragging on the ramp at the bottom or top?

Hello I have a 2021 Spyder RTS and yes the step comes right out with two screws which is needed to get the Spyder in the garage. I have two small plastic ramps which I place at the bottom of the ramp to keep the lower nose from scraping.

By the way regretfully I just put my Canyon Star up for sale I'm having both knees replaced so I'll be down for a year at best and didn't want the coach to be unused.You can find my RV at:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/202...927-5023125147

I appreciate all the comments enjoy your RV's guys

Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 03:11 AM   #80
Senior Member


 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 5,527
Wow, with all the special features of this motorhome, I think you should keep it! No problems having it sleep for a year, and then you get back out and enjoy it! You can’t easily replace it with the same features without taking more months of your life to do so.

Best of luck with the knees, and I hope you reconsider keeping it.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 07:03 AM   #81
Junior Member
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 19
Allison Trans module

Mike

You mention in the rvtader listing that it has a updated Allision trans module. Can you provide more details on that, what it is, and how to get it made?

Thx
__________________
2021 Newmar Canyon Star 3927
Pulling a 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU Freedom Edition
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar w Brake Buddy Classic 3
Woodchuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:04 AM   #82
Senior Member
 
Idleup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchuck123 View Post
Mike

You mention in the rvtader listing that it has a updated Allision trans module. Can you provide more details on that, what it is, and how to get it made?

Thx

Regretfully, on some transmission modules if you don't first put the transmission in neutral before shutting off the ignition, the motor can get locked in drive or reverse with no options other than removal. On modules you could go thru a DD DN DR NN to get it back. On my new replacement module, when I shut it off in gear, I can just select N and it shifts the shifter motor to neutral every time.


Thanks Mike
Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 PM   #83
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Middle GA
Posts: 291
Hey Mike:

Im interested in near-duplicating your "5112" LiFePO4 conversion in my 2021 CS 3927. I poked around on Lithionics website and didn't see anything specific to that mod to download.

I am a retired Electronics Engineer and have done exactly one simple Li conversion on my previous motorhome. I am also a lazy engineer and loath to spend the hours re-inventing your complex system.

So who would I start begging/purchasing wiring diagrams and major parts lists from?

I also agree one must start with an existing wiring diagram. I have done some crawling around and am in the process of generating an as-is 120V/12V detail diagram. But if you want to contribute there, I wouldn't mind.
__________________
George and Linda
-2021 Newmar CS 3927 toy toter
-2016 F150 Supercrew TOAD
evofxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canyon star, diesel, view



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winterizing Your Newmar In-Depth - Mike Mas Idleup Newmar Owner's Forum 42 10-31-2020 07:19 PM
Midwest Designs Sprinter TypeB In-Depth Review - Mike Mas Idleup Class B Motorhome Discussions 19 08-25-2020 11:14 AM
New RV Electric RV Toad In Depth Review - Mike Mas Idleup Class A Motorhome Discussions 2 01-09-2020 08:08 AM
In-Depth Review TireMinder’s Smart & TM-77 Systems - Mike Mas Idleup Newmar Owner's Forum 33 10-17-2018 08:59 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.