Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-18-2021, 12:30 PM   #1

Canyon Star Diesel In-Depth Review - Mike Mas

Welcome to my In-Depth Canyon Star front engine diesel review. This latest offering from Newmar has stirred quite a bit of interest in the RV industry. This coach marks the first real attempt in over a decade to offer a Class A coach with a front mounted diesel engine. After studying the new Canyon Star diesel coach for nearly a year now, I finally pulled the trigger and have one of these exciting new coaches from Newmar in my garage.

In this In-Depth Review -We’ll talk about the many advantages made possible by Freightliner MC chassis. We’ll also discuss the MC’s suspension, air ride, air brakes, engine brake and more importantly, the rumors and real scoop on engine noise. I’ll also cover the many performance advantages of an RV with front engine placement over a pusher coach using the same engine and transmission.

I'll also Share my $50 Air Bag Dump - Which allows for improved leveling and a major advantage to lower the tail gate ramp for easier loading of bikes or vehicles in the 3927's garage. I’ll also show you where you might find a factory air dump hidden on the chassis.

I’ll also share a few images and specs - On my newly designed 12/51/120 volt Dual Voltage / Dual Inverter Hybrid 32,000 watt hour lithium upgrade on my Canyon Star, making it ideal for boon docking, business, or just multiple over night stays at rest stops enjoying your A/C without running the generator.

I’ll Also share my Anti-Winterizing System - Where by using only 3 Xtreme Heaters boat / RV heaters to heat the tank compartments and interior, avoids winterizing the Canyon Star. I’ll share adding a much needed Macerator for effortless dumping, improving your headlights and adding an air horn. On wiring, I’ll share the locations of dozens of Newmar and Freightliner wiring flaws to avoid leaving you stranded on the side of the road. Visual wise, I’ll show you how to get rid of Canyon Stars 3927 terrible looking “Black Holes” under each entry doors.

I’ll also disclose a major “Shift Error Problem” - Which affects Canyon Star diesel models, where by simply forgetting to shift to neutral before turning the key off, could leave you and your beautiful Canyon Star stranded on the side of the road waiting for a tow to Allison.

Finally, I would like to dedicate this article to my Newmar friend "007" one of the most hard working RV Administrators on the planet. Year after year, he dedicates countless hours to help other RV owners. “007” thank you for your tireless service!

Stay Safe - Mike Mas

Click the link below for my In-Depth Review!

http://www.rotory.com/coach/canyon/

Idleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-18-2021, 02:25 PM   #2

Great and interesting review, Mike.

So the light bar is mounted on the front and works OK without dimming when meeting cars?
Old 12-18-2021, 02:56 PM   #3

Following since I have never seen an LED light bar with the equivalent of an upper beam cut-off as is required for legal headlights (no intent to start a flame war, just curious).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post

So the light bar is mounted on the front and works OK without dimming when meeting cars?
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinG View Post

Thanks for the reply guys - the light bar works fine, it's half flood and half beam. Look at the image on my post, if the bar was too bright it would blow the shot out. The bar virtually floods the road with white light, pretty much like a new car with LED headlights. I just drove back from Ocala at night and not one person flashed me. In any event, the lamp is adjustable, it has three levels of power. To be safe, I pointed the RV at my garage and adjusted the bar height to match the low beams upper level.

I can easily drive with the just the floods and center light. Turning on the headlights makes no difference, the stock bulbs are yellow and dim. I'll be changing them out soon. This great light with it's remote control ($44.00) can be found in Walmart stores they have 3 different sizes.

Stay Safe - Mike

Old 12-18-2021, 05:38 PM   #5

Thanks for the tip. I need to put these on both my RV and on my old Ranger pickup.
Old 12-18-2021, 08:23 PM   #6

Mike

Excellent review….very thorough
Ginton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 11:09 PM   #7

Is the 6.7 Cummins the same that Ram uses? If so, do you know of the Newmar has the CP4 fuel pump? Ram has issued a recall for those; hopefully Newmar will if necessary. This new RV looks amazing.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:41 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Great review - - - - - thanks.

g
Indy Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 01:31 PM   #9

Thanks for that great in-depth review (although it did gobble up quite a bit of my time!).

I've been intrigued with the Canyon Star, but they are extremely rare at the moment. Would you happen to know which model(s) offer the electric fireplace option?
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post
Thanks for that great in-depth review (although it did gobble up quite a bit of my time!).

I've been intrigued with the Canyon Star, but they are extremely rare at the moment. Would you happen to know which model(s) offer the electric fireplace option?

Hello & thanks for the reply - You're right they and many other RV's are difficult to find. Mine is the 3927 toy hauler, I've seen the fireplace model but can't recall the model. I would visit the Newmar site or do a search on Youtube for Canyon Star Diesel models.

Thanks - Mike
Old 12-20-2021, 07:09 AM   #11

Mike,
I was able to find the model with the fireplace option by digging through the brochure (it's the 3710). While I was reading all the fine print, I noticed that the Canyon Star doesn't have Comfort Drive. As someone that has owned a Comfort Drive and a non-Comfort Drive Newmar, what is your opinion on that feature?

I've installed everything possible to improve (but not fix) the chassis shortcomings on our Ford E-450 based class C and it's still a handful to drive with passing vehicles, wind above 5 MPH, etc. Newmar's Comfort Drive sounds awesome to me.
Thanks again!
mbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:34 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbutts View Post

My Canyon Star is a model "3710", & has the fireplace below the TV, & we really enjoy it! The ambience is great, & also when cool outside, enjoy the "heat output" from it!

Not sure about it being an option, but bet you can get a "special" on a 3719 or 3722. It would replace a couch/sofa.
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 06:12 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idleup View Post
Welcome to my In-Depth Canyon Star front engine diesel review. This latest offering from Newmar has stirred quite a bit of interest in the RV industry. This coach marks the first real attempt in over a decade to offer a Class A coach with a front mounted diesel engine. After studying the new Canyon Star diesel coach for nearly a year now, I finally pulled the trigger and have one of these exciting new coaches from Newmar in my garage.

Click the link below for my In-Depth Review!

http://www.rotory.com/coach/canyon/

I read your review, as I have a 2014 3920 toy hauler, and have an interest in maybe updating to the FRED version....

I have a question about one of your statements.

You wrote:

"While the suggested Garage Weight is 1500 pounds- This could be increased if you're not towing, don't use the 20 gal fuel station, or don't have a washer dryer."

Unless I misunderstand your statement, you seem to suggest that the garage weight limit is based on weight of the motorhome, aft the rear axle...

I was wondering if you checked this with Newmar engineering...?

In my 3920, also with a garage weight of 1500 lbs, I do not have the automatic sliding bed/seats option.

I contacted Newmar to find out the weight of those options, and without them, how much my garage load limit would be increased.

Customer service advised me they checked with engineering, and the 1500 lb limit is based on the garage floor. The garage floor itself only has a 1500 lb weight limit.

They told me the weight savings in the garage, without the automatic sliding bed/seat option, does not increase the floor max weight limit of 1500 lbs, since their load is carried by the walls...

They also said that each bed has a static load (stationary) limit of 600lbs and a dynamic load (moving) limit of 450lbs, which does not affect the floor limit.

Forgive me if there has been some major change to the garage floor, that I am not aware of, but I thought I would share the info Newmar gave me about the 1500 lb garage weight limit...
Old 12-21-2021, 08:53 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
We have a 2021 Canyon Star 3927. Mike’s review is spot on. I learned a lot of things too.

I would concur with everything Mike said. The drive is nice. My wife doesn’t get car sick when riding in it. It tows our Jeep Wrangler JKU effortlessly. The garage with the second entrance is awesome.

And thanks for the tip on transmission on making sure to put it in N before applying parking brake and turning off the motor!!!!!!!!!
Woodchuck123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon star, diesel, view