RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2017, 04:47 PM   #1

Canyon Star Feedback

[Mod Edit]

I have never had an opportunity to look at a Newmar up close and personal until this morning. All I can say is, even though the example I looked at is years old, WOW! I was very impressed with the quality of materials, the fit and finish, the workmanship and most other aspects of the thing. It made a believer our of me.

[Mod Edit]
We are on the hunt for a replacement to our '92 Pace Arrow. We narrowed our list down to a certain number of units available locally, and the Newmar Canyon Star 3641 was the first we actually looked at. I'm not sure we will have to go any further. Now, all we have to do is negotiate an acceptable price and terms, sign the papers, fill it with gas and water and disappear into the sunset. Well, I guess I have to figure out how to pay for it as well.

So, having a little more background and since we are going to concentrate on the Newmar, we would LOVE to hear any anecdotes you may have about Newmar, the Canyon Star model, and even the 3641 specifically. We want to be fully prepared when negotiating with the dealership.

So, please FIRE AWAY! WE want to know as much as we can.

Thanks for all those who lead us to the Newmar in the first place.

Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #2

Let me say you picked very well! I’ve been searching for over a year to replace my class C. We narrowed down to Newman or Tiffin because of the interior look and feel. These two have such a high quality interior that it is a toss up between them. We chose the Canyon Star 3710 because of the floor plan. It’s due to start being built in 6-8 weeks! Good luck on your choice.

Marc

Old 12-04-2017, 05:34 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Linda 'Jim to the forum.
You didn't mention the year, used or new, so I will give a link to fine any year of coach for all tsb's, brochure, owners guide, recalls and other important info.
All the links below in my signature have info for your Newmar and in QT's # 3 there is a CANYON STAR section of owners MOD's and operatio of their CS's. --- 2018 Brochure ---- Owners Guide.
What ever tires come with CANYON STAR, stick with them, Goodyear or Michelin.
Enjoy the forum and maybe a welcome to the Newmar family.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #4

Thanks so much for the contributions so far. We are becoming more and more confident we have made the right decision and will be looking forward to concluding the deal.

Here is an update to help with some questions:

2007 Canyon Star 3641, 20,000 miles, no optional accessories that I can tell. Previous owner traded it for a HUGE 5er . I have learned here that tires are very important on the larger coaches. I checked, and what we have here are Samson tires with the date stamp of 3914. Fall of 2014, if I am reading it correctly. The previous set of tires must have aged out. These look brand new (because they are?)

Only "damage" I can tell at this point is where the carpet is mushed down where the rollers from the living room slide sat, and the "pleather" material on the driver and passenger seats is disintegrating at the seams. Otherwise the interior is almost spotless. I'm embarrassed that our house isn't as clean as the coach. The generator has 83 hours on it and started right up, but needs a little love. Don't think it's supposed to belch lots of smoke on startup then die. Running rich? I was told it was stored inside most of the time.

It's a little grimy on the outside. The dealer has committed to 4 hours of cleaning and 1.5 hours of instruction specific to that coach. Part of their deal. Maybe a good shampooing on the carpet will revive it.

BIG difference from what we are used to, but looking forward to making it our own. Tell me more!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The GEN needs to be run not to many hours on it for that year coach. Fresh gas should help and run AC's to give them some usage to see how they produce the cool air.
Tires may have been Goodyear but use the ones on coach and get proper tire pressures after you load coach with your stuff using this information.
Rollers will set into rug and leave indent in rug over time many mods in the QT's links for changing floor coverings.
Is it a FORD or Workhorse chassis?
2007 brochure and owners guide.
The trim on chairs did wear or crumble on coach's of that time period and chairs were changed.
Old 12-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #6

Sorry, 007. should have noted that it's on the Ford F53 chassis. The tires seem to have a good rep, so I'll stick with them for the time being.

V10. 5 speed Allison, something something something transmission brake (is that the one on the driveshaft?) We are interested in the Ford equivalent of the Chevy engine brake, at least I think that is what it is if it has one. House batteries seem to be recent, but no date code is evident.

I suspected that the genset has sat for awhile, considering the age and the number of hours on it. That will be a simple matter to resolve. Fresh gas, maybe dose it with some Seafoam.

NOTE: One thing we are VERY interested in is adding about 300+W of solar panels on the roof, a competent controller and inverter and maybe a second set of 6V batteries in the battery bay. Happen to have any links to someone who has done this mod already? I understand there is a small panel on the roof right now and 5W(?) inverter for battery maintenance. I'd like to really increase the capacities for longer boondocking experiences. I LOVE what this guy has done (https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/)

The dealer was kind enough to send me links to the original Newmar color brochure and a link to a data dump that includes information on engines and transmissions and chassis. Trying to familiarize myself with as much info as I can, so I'm still going through that one.

Right now going through the info you linked. What a trove! Thanks and keep it coming!
Old 12-04-2017, 08:59 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The long QT's # 3 will have Solar, inverter, and batteries here and many change outs of old tv's to LCD's sections in the long link many links in CS Section of QT's# 3.
I had 6v and change out to two 12v AGM's that worked for us and no more messy tray.
Small panel on roof leave it, its for your chassis battery and explained at the end of this link plus a few other things you will see.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:59 PM   #8

Lindan n Jim -

If you decide to go with this coach.. I'd HIGHLY recommend you check into a 5-Star tuner for it...

If you don't have a lot of experience with the F53 chassis.. you'll find out upon driving it that it doesn't like hills, of any kind.. likely, you'll experience the dreaded 5th to 3rd downshift while going over any incline.. The 5-Star will reprogram the computer to all but eliminate that hard shift.. It will make for a MUCH more enjoyable driving experience

Also - I believe 5-Star is a sponsor of IRV2 !!

Good luck !
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #9

Thanks for the info about the 5-Star tune. I have heard a little about it, but have never really studied it or what my expectation should be. the only F53 experience I have is our '92 Pace Arrow. None of the common upgrade apply.

I do plan on doing the "free" chassis upgrade, but beyond that, I am totally ignorant.

Time for some research!
Old 12-07-2017, 04:46 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I didn't realize that Ford ever used the Allison transmission. Are you sure its not a Ford transmission?
jt
harleyjt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Low hours on a 10 year old coach is not always good. I believe Onan maintenance likes a minimum of 2 hour run time, once a month under load.
Also the same for the 20K mileage..... means the coach has sat alot. Sometimes maintenance goes astray on vehicles that sit. Same for the Onan.

Agree with harley..... don't believe the Tranny is a Allison. Had 2008 - Ford with Towhaul. Very nice feature, downshifts when Braking.

On any used coach check the roof and sidewalls for any water leaks.

Onan - https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...dzR4I6ghBePNt3

Ford Chassis - https://www.google.com/search?q=2007...hrome&ie=UTF-8
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyjt View Post
I didn't realize that Ford ever used the Allison transmission. Are you sure its not a Ford transmission?
jt
As a matter of fact I just spent a bunch of time trying to track that down, and you are absolutely correct!

From Autoblog:

The 6.8-liter Triton™ V-10 engine's best-in-class 362 horsepower and 457 foot-pounds of torque provided help support the largest motorhomes with plenty of power on the highway. The powerful engine is mated to Ford's exclusive and proven TorqShift® automatic overdrive transmission.

Thanks for the correction.
Old 12-07-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

Sorry I missed your post about the Ford Chassis before I posted what I had found on the Autoblog website.

Another winner! Thanks, cc8357!

You guys rock!
Old 12-07-2017, 11:23 PM   #14

You might check if this year coach falls into the year models that were known for the spark plugs being ejected from the head along with the coil. I believe there is some discussion regarding this in the Ford F53 chassis section of IRV2 forums.

capnqball is offline   Reply With Quote