Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #1

Canyon Star handling

We are looking at a 2011 Canyon Star 3856. Great floor plan for us, upgrade from a 2002 H. R. My biggest concerns are the power. At 39ft long that's a lot of weight to pull up a steep grade. also with all that length and weight hanging off the rear axle is the any handling problems and if so some of the fixes.
Thanks
old golfer guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:18 PM   #2

I only have 6500 miles under my belt but I’m very pleased with the handling. As far as power goes it has enough. On the really steep grades at max weight your not going to set any speed records but you will be in the slow lane with all the trucks and other RV’s. It’s not as quiet or as powerful as a pusher I’m sure but it’s not that bad. We are very happy with our canyon star and would purchase again. Good luck Steve
Old 04-17-2018, 10:31 PM   #3

We love our Canyon Star, it's only a few feet shorter than yours(37') and has plenty of power. Like said on any significant grades you will be in the slow lane but able to keep up with the big rigs and other RV's. We have done a lot of traveling in the Sierras with no issues at all. You just have to learn how to drive it and let the engine do the downhill braking, and not worry about the high RPMs going up or down hill. The engine is built for the high RPM's and that is where it gets it's power.

As far as the ride, it is great and we did not find the need to add any aftermarket items as it was ordered with front/rear sway bars, and is on the 26k chassis. It is not as noisy as some on this forum say the gas engine sounds, so Newmar must do a better job of insulating the doghouse. When on level roadways you can barely hear the engine, and of course as you climb or descend grades it gets a little louder, but not bad at all.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:02 PM   #4

Our 2013 Canyon star 3953 all stock suspension handles itself quite well. we have put 31,000 miles on it towing a 3500 lb toad with no major hic- cups with the drive train. we travel fully loaded at 30000lbs gcvw. When climbing the Siskious pass on I5 we hold 37 mph at 3800 rpm. it will go faster but we don't want to take it over 4000rpm. Same on the Tehachapi pass on the way to Vegas. the big Diesel rigs will pass us about 10 mph faster, but for $150k more similarly equipped we are vey happy with the Canyon Star.v a diesel. Would purchase again.
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 06:42 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi - I've got a 2016 Canyon Star 3712, stock suspension. It has an option on the front suspension, I don't know what it is offhand. I added the Five Star Tune to the engine/transmission for towing.

It handles just fine with or without the toad. The length does nothing to the driving characteristics. Maneuvering around the gas station, however, it does become a factor. I don't get gas at many places simply because I know I can't turn that 38 foot rig around safely in that tiny lot. Fortunately, it has a big gas tank, so I can pick and choose (Flying J), so its really not a problem.

The Five Star tune is a good deal. Some say you don't need it, and maybe you don't, I'm just very pleased that I got it. I don't have any problems driving, passing, and whatever. I'm not in a hurry. I encourage people to get around me and get away from me. I haven't climbed the Sisters on I80 or climbed I70 on the other side of Denver. I did in my 1994 Kountry Aire at 3MPH with the big boys. I bet my Canyon Star would do better.

If I had any negative, I'd say this rig tends to rock back and forth a bit much in high winds. Maybe that is a built in indicator to tell me to get off the road in high winds

Keep the questions coming!
ericllucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 11:56 AM   #6

I spoke to my Ford service tech about 5 star tune and he absolutely did not recommend it. He advised when approaching any sort of hill take it off cruise control and engage tow haul mode. no more double down shifting and engine screaming at 4800 rpm. Works well for me. when rig is fully loaded, ride is smooth and solid. don't need to change a thing on the 3953
Milom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 03:23 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
We had a CS 3901 for 2 years and about 12,000 miles. I did CHF to help handling and Sumo Springs to help the ride. Also added 5 Star, the difference is night and day. Anyone recommending against it has not tried it.
Never went out west, had enough power up and down east coast and through Midwest. Drawback is not power to drive, it is carrying capacity. Taking a gas coach to 40’ only leaves about 2,200 lbs for carrying.

Traded for Ventana this year

Tags
canyon star