Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe not what you’re looking for but on our 2017 I just take a slim screwdriver put it through a grill opening and pop the latch open. Easy, no cost, nothing to fail.

Best of luck with your decision & fix.

Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2020, 10:13 AM   #16

I just stick a small screwdriver thru the front grill and release the latch. You can also lay on the ground and reach up behind the grill to release the latch. Using a screwdriver thru the grill keeps your back a little cleaner.
Old 12-10-2020, 04:16 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by old golfer guy View Post
RKing, I like you idea. Would it be possible to post some pics???
Thanks
Here is the release motors on my front hood. The wiring was already present from the factory install, I just cut the factory end off, tested the polarity to make sure the motor retracted the latch, which releases the hood on mine and then I mounted the motors. I had to add some metal to mount to.
Here is the factory switch

Here how the new motors are mounted, one on each side of the hood (far one is hard to pick out)
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:07 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevL View Post
Maybe not what you’re looking for but on our 2017 I just take a slim screwdriver put it through a grill opening and pop the latch open. Easy, no cost, nothing to fail.

Best of luck with your decision & fix.

Steve
I have a hard time getting the latch to move far enough with a screwdriver to release
Old 12-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #19

Lube helps

This has been an interesting thread. My hood release has been hard to pull since I got the coach, & recently I’ve been having to go back & forth from the driver’s seat to the front of the hood because it wasn’t releasing every time. I found I could release it from under the front of the RV ( thanks to the comments on this thread) but that involved laying on my back under the front bumper - not always ideal depending on the weather & my location.
After reading the responses & taking a good look at my latch I decided to start by lubricating the daylights out of everything. I sprayed liberal amounts of 3 in One dry lock lube into every orifice I could find on the latch as well as the the cable where it goes into the housing near the latch and near the firewall inside the RV.
I won’t know how well this “ treatment” will last until some time goes by , but I popped the hood multiple times today, & the cable pulls a lot easier, & releases smoothly every time

Tags
canyon star