RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 11:44 AM   #1

Canyon Star hood release?

I have a 2012 C. S. 3856 and I can't open the engine hood. The handle under the dash you pull on has always been hard to pull, but now it will move about
4" pulling as hard as I can but still does not pop the latch. Any ideas???
Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 12:19 PM   #2

Following - my 2015 Canyon Star has been close to having the same problem recently. Last time out I pulled the hood release ( always a struggle), thought I had gotten it pulled back all the way & felt what I thought was the catch releasing. Got out & tried to lift the hood - still latched. Had to go back & forth and repeat a couple of times before the latch actually released.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:51 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Have someone press on the hood as you pull the cable. Often the hood has a spring, near the rubber stops that is suppose to push the hood open past the locking mechanism. If the above works, and you have a spring, grab it and pull on it, stretching it out. Many have added a spring if it doesn't have one.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 03:12 PM   #4

On our 2014 the hood release cable became out of adjustment at the hood latch cable clamp. The cable is only held in place by a clamp and was able to move out of adjustment over time. You can reach up from under the front end to release the latch by hand. Then adjust the cable housing to take up the extra slack in the cable. Then tighten back in place. Lubricate the cable and latch to make it work easier.
Old 12-04-2020, 08:11 PM   #5

I've had trouble opening the hood on my 2012 Bay Star too. Thanks to Don and Scott for the suggestions on how to make it easier. I'll give it a go the next nice day.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

Thanks for the replays but still can't get it opened. Had D. W. push on the hood while I pulled the release and nothing. Got on the ground looking up and could not see any latch or release there. It would seem that from underneath the release would be too high to reach and you cant' get to it from the engine opening in the cab. Any other thoughts?
Thanks
Old 12-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
On my 2003 coach I could get my hand up the front opening under latch location and release the latch, you may not be able because of changes that have been made.
The problem was the cable from handle near drivers seat has to much slack as it goes around the engine chamber on drivers side and just flexes as it is pulled.
A attachment to cable right hand sidewall needs to be made to prevent cable flexing.
Right now you need a wire coat hanger opened up and a small hook on one end to hook on the cable interior wire to pull latch open or maybe a steel fish wire with hook to do same thing with some patients to hook the pull wire. GOOD LUCK.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #8

When I first bought my used 2014 Canyon Star, the hood release was very hard to pull... thought I was going to break something...

The 2rd time I opened the hood, I lubricated the latching mechanism with a dry lubricant spray...

It has opened easily every time since....

I have no tricks to get yours open, but when you do, lubricate the latch...

You may need to adjust the cable too... since you've been pulling on it with no results...

Good luck with your repair...
Old 12-06-2020, 10:15 AM   #9

Interesting thread. My Bay Star Sport has been difficult from the start. Have lubed frequently and so far itís still working. When it warms up Iíll check to see if I can reach the latch from below and consider figuring out a way to attach a pull wire to it. Just in case. Thanks for the incentive to get ahead of this.
PetesMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 11:18 AM   #10

Our rig is a 2020, so lots of changes have probably been made. Our "hood" is hinged at the top, so the latch is at the bottom. Not sure of yours. The first time I tried to open it the cable was VERY hard to pull and the hood would not open. I had my wife pull the handle, while I tried to pull on the bottom of the hood. Finally I got a good enough grip to pull it open. I sprayed some dry lube on everything I could find, the cable, etc. It has a spring, and when I close it I can feel the spring putting pressure. I had the dealer fix it, and that worked for a few months. Now it won't pop out and it is a 2 person job again. I can lay on the ground, and look up and see the latch & cable. If your hood has a hinge at the top--you should be able to see the latch and cable while laying on the ground, maybe lay on a creeper to elevate you a bit so you can see the cable. I would also have your wife pull the handle while you are outside pushing it in and also pulling it out.
rondi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 05:50 PM   #11

Once again you folks prove this is the go to site for DIY projects. I found the cable release at the bottom of the hood. Had to extend upper body as much as posable to reach the latch but did get it open. Wilt Chamberlin arms would have made it easier! Then I took the spring and made it a little longer by opening up the round end that connects to the latch a little. Made it about 1/4 inch longer. Now I don't have to pull the release handle as hard or as far but it will open. Only problem now is it does not snap shut all the time, will have to make sure that it closes every time it's opened. some of you used a dry lube, can you tell me the name of the product and how do you get anything down the cable to make it slide easier.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2020, 05:45 AM   #12

Electrify the process with these - only 2 wires - the polarity of the 12V either retracts or extends the mechanism - https://www.amazon.com/Zone-4-Pack-U...%2C233&sr=8-16

Do away with the cable and run a pair of wires. Mount a momentary switch somewhere in the cockpit. I realize you don't open the hood all that often but with this it'll be easier. My hood requires 2.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:26 AM   #13

RKing, I like you idea. Would it be possible to post some pics???
Thanks
Old 12-08-2020, 05:15 AM   #14

I'll try to grab some pics today. My coach came with electric locks for bay doors and the front hood, so I just replaced the existing frozen motors with these. The motors were full of water and all rusted solid.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canyon star