Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2015, 11:31 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Canyon Star minor questions from first overnight use

We took our first overnight weekend "test run" trip to the local lake in our new Canyon Star this past weekend. No issues at all and great weather equals a 100% satisfied so far buyer!

I do have a couple of minor questions that I have not easily found in searches here (sorry if it's been covered and I missed it in my search, and if the questions are minor and dumb)

1. Adding a some bleach to water tank? In years past my RV's had the separate fill opening that you just put a garden hose in and filled it up, so could easily add a small bit of bleach there when I wanted. With the single water fill access point being a twist on hose connection (which i love) to both have campground pressure and to fill tank, how do you add some bleach easiest?

2. I didn't expect to have the engine braking feature on a V10 gas engine (I guess that is what is going on), when not being in tow/haul mode. Coming down some small hills in the Ozarks, it would really shift down on its own one or more gears, and stay shifted down longer than I might have wanted. Is there a system or procedure to get it to shift when and how you want?

3. I know the tech told me during our delivery walk thru, but I can't remember. On the drivers left side, right next to the controls for the levelers, there is one small rocker switch that I don't remember what it does?

4. Is there anyway to adjust the rear view camera? I dont tow so would like to see farther behind me

Thanks for any replies in advance and for all the great information I have found reading back months and months here!!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Being a fellow Arkansan (Bentonville), let me try to answer a couple of these.

1. I have always used a filter that has a small, bendable extension. I have put the bleach in this and then added the hose behind it to force it in.

2. If you have an engine brake, you should have a switch or device to disable it. Mine is labeled in Ventana LE.

4. A ladder and tools is what you need to adjust it. Keep in mind that you may lose sight of what is immediately behind you if you adjust it.

We may see you around while traveling the Ozarks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 11:44 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi ArkTerry,
I might be able to help with a couple of your questions.
1. Add bleach or any sanitizer to the water hose and let the flow of water take it into the tank. Before doing this remove the whole coach water filter.
4. There should be a way to adjust the viewing angle of the camera. One will need to remove the outer façade. I am not familiar with the brand of camera installed in your coach. Consider calling Newmar CS for the correct instructions.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 12:01 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Do they put the intake for winterizing on the Canyon Stars? We've had two Dutch Stars and both had an intake that was put in to winterize the system but could also be used to put bleach in.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
3. If it is a red switch it is the defroster for the side view mirrors.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:19 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkTerry View Post
We took our first overnight weekend "test run" trip to the local lake in our new Canyon Star this past weekend. No issues at all and great weather equals a 100% satisfied so far buyer!
Congratulations on your new coach!

Quote:
I do have a couple of minor questions that I have not easily found in searches here (sorry if it's been covered and I missed it in my search, and if the questions are minor and dumb)
I'll answer these from experience with the Bay Star, though I think the answers all apply to your Canyon Star.

Quote:
1. Adding a some bleach to water tank? In years past my RV's had the separate fill opening that you just put a garden hose in and filled it up, so could easily add a small bit of bleach there when I wanted. With the single water fill access point being a twist on hose connection (which i love) to both have campground pressure and to fill tank, how do you add some bleach easiest?
I used the winterizing kit. Fill the tank mostly full, then sucked a lightly-diluted solution of bleach. Using this procedure: How To Sanitize An RV Fresh Water Tank - TheRVgeeks

Quote:
2. I didn't expect to have the engine braking feature on a V10 gas engine (I guess that is what is going on), when not being in tow/haul mode. Coming down some small hills in the Ozarks, it would really shift down on its own one or more gears, and stay shifted down longer than I might have wanted. Is there a system or procedure to get it to shift when and how you want?
Oh you HAVE an engine brake. Gas engines are naturally a compression brake I have found tow/haul mode to be the perfect way to descend hills. If it stays too low for too long, I just turn tow/haul OFF, then back on again shortly after.

Quote:
3. I know the tech told me during our delivery walk thru, but I can't remember. On the drivers left side, right next to the controls for the levelers, there is one small rocker switch that I don't remember what it does?
Mirror heater.
Vacay Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:56 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Congrats!!!! Post some Pics. Vacay above covered all your questions. Just to add.....
Another way I add Bleach to my tank. I take a empty hose and pour 2oz. or less of Bleach into the hose. then I connect it to the coach and turn the water on.

I carry a squirt bottle with a bleach / water mixture in the water compartment. I try to always the water connection before connecting. You never know what dog who may have down the water spigot pole!
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
#2. Believe it is the mirror heater switch as others have said.
#4. I asked the dealer if there was an inside aiming button for the camera because I wanted to see a little further back as well. However, they said there is no control mechanism for it. It would seem that you should somehow be able to remove the cover plate outside and make some adjustment to the mount. I've never tried it personally but if you do and you find out it can be adjusted please let us all know.
Good luck with your Canyon Star. We have absolutely loved ours since buying it as a new coach. Safe travels.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:05 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Sorry... missed the Camera.............. Probably the last 3 coaches I had readjust the cameras.
On the CS I adjusted within the first 200 miles. Was not even home yet from pickup. It did not take much pressure to raise about 1/4" up.

I can now see my Towbar, my Toad and also see when the Toad has cleared a car when changing or moving in the lanes.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:48 PM   #10

Congrats!

Glad to hear your maiden voyage went well.

As I recall your CS is a 3921 which we have also been investigating. We did look at some Forest River XLR Thunderbolt 5ers today just to do our due diligence. They have some nice features and a bigger garage, but we've quickly turned our attention back to the CS.

Keep the updates coming.
muleman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 06:55 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your replies. Here is a pic from delivery day!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	264.5 KB
ID:	107719  
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
SHARP!!!!! I am envious on the Paint Scheme!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #13

Very nice looking coach!!!

Congrats and safe travels.
Old 09-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Here is a pic from delivery day!
Wow!! That's a sharp looking coach! Congratualations
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote