Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2014, 03:40 AM   #1

Canyon Star review

I have 1600 miles on My Canyon Star 3610 and I've fixed most of the typical new MH issues myself. I have one side window that appears to be installed wrong and won't close completely. One thing that concerns me are the scratches on the vinyl flooring where the slide rollers sit. The floor is clean but I looked at the rollers and they are covered with debris from assembly. Mostly wood chips and saw dust. With all the floor covering scratching I have read about, it sure seems like they would take the time to clean this area better. Some big adjustments coming from a Winnebago Journey. I miss remote door and side compartment locks and the smart wheel. The ride and handling is very good. The power and mileage is about the same as my DP. It maintains speed with the cruise control on most hills. I've got to do something about the floor scratches. It's very quiet for a gasser until I have to push it on a steep hill. Then the engine noise gets annoying. I've searched for a cure with no luck. I read something about pulsing in the exhaust system and the air intake. Any suggestions? Overall we like it. 1-10 I'd give it an 8.
rodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would take coach to Newmar to have a look at the window install may need removal if not set in correctly.
Being the top of the line gas coach do not see why Newmar installs vinyl floors and not the heavy THICK vinyl tiles on floor , that I have in my 03 KSCA, the thin vinyl is to soft rollers will make impression over time and scratch's to easily.
Had a wood floor that we had to sweep before bringing in the LR slide because the stone grit would scratch or imbed in the surface.
Material under slide does not help either, dealer and Newmar missed that check.
The V-10's do become noisy when revved up maybe a better isolating blanket in dog house would cut some of the noise.
Not sure if the Banks air intake would cut down noise or increase it I know the CAI on my 8.1 Chev just makes my duels hummm. But engine roars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:21 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Being it's under warranty I would pay NEWMAR a visit and have them fix the window and for sure do something about the floor. That is something that you shouldn't have to live with for failure of them not cleaning the rollers. For what these coaches cost there is no reason that quality control couldn't be handled a bit better. JMHO.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
We also found some construction debris under the slide. With the slide out, go outside the coach and run your hand down the length of the "ledge" underneath the slide opening in the side wall of the coach, and see what else you find.

We clean the rollers by running the slide part way out to expose the rollers, then wiping the rollers with a cloth, running the slide out another inch, wiping again...repeating until the rollers have completed a full revolution.

We cut some thin plastic cutting boards (like this) and position these under the rollers when we bring the full wall slide in to move the coach. We hold them in place with masking tape. They seem to help protect the vinyl floor.

Newmar has just introduced some slide slippers that might also help. I'm at Camp Newmar now and will be checking these out while here.

David
Old 08-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
I have wood floors and we were getting marks at the roler location when the slide was all the way in. We recently started laying down throw rugs for each roller (5). We use two long throw rugs which cover 2- rollers each and one smaller throw rug. With initially tried using the existing throws in the coach. We have since purchased new throws and now use the old ones for the slide. When in camp we fold the three carpets up and store the front passenger seat floor area.
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:59 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I picked up one of the new slide floor protectors from the parts counter at Newmar today. There are three different lengths. They have a rounded lip that holds them in place against the edge of the finish flooring. The bottom is a soft surface which should help prevent any grit on the floor from scratching it.

For two of the seven rollers under my full wall slide, I needed to trim a bit of vinyl floor tile (hidden under the carpet) back from the metal plate that the roller comes up, so that I could fit the lip of the slide protector between the vinyl tile and the metal plate.

Certainly more elegant than my previous solution, shown in the first picture. We'll see how they work over time...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1856.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	206.5 KB
ID:	71183

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	71184

Name:	IMG_1858.jpg