Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #1

Canyon Star water tank overflow

I have the common issue of filling my water tank to max, then while driving, I can lose almost 1/3 (according to the tank gauge) by the time I get to my destination..

I live in an area that requires curvy, hilly roads to get almost anywhere, which may aggravate the issue.

I've read threads about adding some hose to the overflow circuit and raising it well above the level of the tank, before turning down, to break any siphon affect or decrease the ability for "sloshing" to allow water to drain...

Unfortunately, my water overflow hose looks to be 1.5" in diameter (or close) and goes on a 90° fitting from the top of the tank, then down.

The 90° fitting is about .25" from the floor above it. There is no way to add a loop of hose that will go up from the tank, before turning down.

I have attached a pic.....

Any ideas on how to minimize or stop the water tank from draining during transit when full?

hattitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #2

A 1.5” plastic full port ball valve could be added in the line so you could close it when full. I’ve been meaning to do this to mine same problem
Old 10-07-2022, 12:36 PM   #3

A ball valve should do the trick. However, be SURE the valve is open BEFORE adding water to the tank. Otherwise, pressure will build in the tank that could lead to all kinds of trouble.
Old 10-07-2022, 12:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by learninghere View Post
I have the common issue of filling my water tank to max, then while driving, I can lose almost 1/3 (according to the tank gauge) by the time I get to my destination..

I live in an area that requires curvy, hilly roads to get almost anywhere, which may aggravate the issue.

I've read threads about adding some hose to the overflow circuit and raising it well above the level of the tank, before turning down, to break any siphon affect or decrease the ability for "sloshing" to allow water to drain...

Unfortunately, my water overflow hose looks to be 1.5" in diameter (or close) and goes on a 90° fitting from the top of the tank, then down.

The 90° fitting is about .25" from the floor above it. There is no way to add a loop of hose that will go up from the tank, before turning down.

I have attached a pic.....

Any ideas on how to minimize or stop the water tank from draining during transit when full?

I see a space on the back wall at the ceiling, can't tell from the picture, but does it have space in that gap I see to route a longer hose up in there then back down to the floor drain?
Old 10-07-2022, 01:09 PM   #5

Simple..........

1/8" drill bit
Drill hole in the side of the grey 90* elbow (area where it makes the turn)
Easy homemade vacuum break.....
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Simple..........

1/8" drill bit
Drill hole in the side of the grey 90* elbow (area where it makes the turn)
Easy homemade vacuum break.....
If this route is desired, wouldn't the drilled hole be best on top? so when overflowing it won't leak water into the bay?
Old 10-07-2022, 01:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
If this route is desired, wouldn't the drilled hole be best on top? so when overflowing it won't leak water into the bay?
Either ....minimal water drip
Side looks easier access then top
Old 10-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #8

Thanks for the great suggestions...

As follow-up:

The "gap" in the picture, I believe is an optical illusion.... as I remember that is actually a solid right angle wall to ceiling.. I was looking for any "space" to make an upwards loop and found none.... but I will double check that.. I've missed stuff before..

My first thought was to add a valve in the line as suggested... but I wasn't sure if that hose is an overflow only... or also a vent for the tank...

On my boats (I've owned several ocean boats over the years), the overflow vent and the tank vent are one in the same... I'm guessing by the suggestion of a valve that only needs to be opened when filling the tank, there is a secondary freshwater tank vent and the drain hose is for overflow only..

Damn, the 1/8" hole seems so simple..... I thought about making a vacuum break, somewhere in that fitting or hose, but I was thinking it would make a mess when filling the tank to overflow or when it was sloshing around when full... I wasn't sure how to accomplish that, but in retrospect, I guess a 1/8" hole really wouldn't leak much at all...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestions. I have to finish a couple other projects, then tomorrow I'm changing the shower Skylight (it has a bunch of cracks).

I'll be revisiting the overflow after that...

I appreciate all the help and sharing of experience...
Old 10-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #9

OK, I just finished dealing with the overflow issue and wanted to report back...

First, Palehorse89 was correct.... That WAS a space between the ceiling and the wall.... It looks bigger in the picture than it actually is. As soon as I saw it, I remembered it, and also remembered checking it out pretty good before posting my question...

The space was only 1/2" to maybe 3/4" wide. It would not allow for me to make a loop with 1 1/2" vent hose, not even close...

I remembered I even looked above/behind it to see if I wanted to make a hole. Due to it's size, and surroundings, I discounted it as a possibility... can't believe it slipped my mind...

I decided to use the 1/8" drilled hole method suggested by Old-Biscuit....

I drilled the 1/8" hole on the side of the elbow (easiest place to get to), as close to the top of the elbow as possible.

I then filled my tank, with the water hose on high. I watched the hole in the elbow as the water level got close.

The water started spilling on the ground.... No sign of weeping from the vent hole..

I went and shut off the water hose, and the overflow was just down to a trickle, when I got back to check the elbow. The overflow completely stopped as I was checking out the area around the vent hole.

I did not see, nor was there any sign of, water having come out the "vent" hole in that elbow. Not even a weep. There may be a little weep, if the full tank were to slosh around a bunch, but I can see it would be inconsequential...

So it's fixed.... The 1/8" hole method worked really well, and I have one more "project" finished with the help of this forum...

Thanks again to all.....
Old 10-08-2022, 03:47 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Glad to see ya got it fixed, Thank you for the update!!
Old 10-08-2022, 04:15 PM   #11

Thanks for the update!

Overflow elbow/pipe is free flowing and larger dia then the 1/8" hole
Atmospheric pressure is enough to break any siphoning via the 1/8" hole

Should be able to fill and arrive at destination with a full tank

Tags
canyon star, tank, water