Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2016, 01:44 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Car Seat Placement in Ventana LE 4037

Thanks for all wonderful feedback in previous post.

We will picking up our 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037 in a week, excited and nervous to go from our 38ft fifth wheel to a MH. We often take our soon to be 2 year old grandcihild with us. Does anyone know where the best and safest place is to attached the car seat? It might be really tough to keep her contain during driving time. Help 🙏🙏 thanks in advance.
Sharoncbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2016, 05:30 AM   #2

This us a tough question and I'll be following the answers closely! We too have young grandchildren and are going from a Baystar to a Ventana 3725 (factory pick up date 5/16). Our children are reluctant to put car seats in the motorhome because of safety issues. We did take one road trip where we started with the car seat rear facing on the dinette seat, then forward facing in the opposite dinette seat, then sideways on the sofa. I'm sure there are young families that are doing this all the time, it's just a matter of comfort level. Curious to see what others are doing out there!
tucker1232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Safety placing an infant/child carseat in a motorhome is challenging to say the least. In order for it to be secured correctly it must be forward facing (rear facing for younger infants) and secured with both its provided seat clips at the bottom and a shoulder belt. Most motorhomes do not have the proper clips built into their seats and most do not have shoulder belts other than for the driver and passenger seats.

We ran into this last year when our granddaughter, then 5, joined us for a two week trip from the LA area back to our home in British Columbia. As none of our seats provided a shoulder belt, other than my wife’s passenger seat, that became our granddaughter’s seat for the trip. She loved being able to sit up front in Grandma’s seat and the fantastic view it provided. Unfortunately none of our seats provided the correct seat clips to lock in the bottom of the car seat. I took a synch type cargo strap and used it to strap the bottom of the car seat to the seat frame.

In my research on how to provide the best possible (safest) car seat installation I noted many comments from folks stating they had positioned car seats facing sideways and others secured with only a lap belt. Virtually every car seat manufacturer warns that car seats should never be installed facing sideway and a lap belt only is not sufficient, especially with a squirming child.

Our solution worked out great for us and not once did our granddaughter ask, “Are we almost there yet?” The constantly changing view and ample stops along the way made the trip a joy for all of us.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I think I will contact Newmar and see what they suggest.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
We've transported our grandchildren a couple of times in our Dutch Star. In our coach, the couch is on the passenger's side and is up against the slide wall that divides the passenger seat from the couch. We use the seat belts to secure the car seat to the sofa. The kids face the other side of the coach. I place a large cushion or pillow between their car seat and the slide wall atop the couch armrest. This gives some cushioning between their head and slide wall.

We feel very confident and secure placing the car seats where we do.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I put my 3 year old son in the front passenger seat. It puts him facing forward, has a shoulder strap on the belt, and he can see very well and doesn't get bored. I also do an addition strap around the seat base, up the back of the seat and to the top tether strap on the child seat.

FunGus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We've done three of the above methods. When the kids were infants we used a convertible seat rear facing in the rear facing seat, then as they grew older in the front facing seat, then in a booster in the copilot seat.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
We've transported our grandchildren a couple of times in our Dutch Star. In our coach, the couch is on the passenger's side and is up against the slide wall that divides the passenger seat from the couch. We use the seat belts to secure the car seat to the sofa. The kids face the other side of the coach. I place a large cushion or pillow between their car seat and the slide wall atop the couch armrest. This gives some cushioning between their head and slide wall.

This sounds like a very good idea. Our Bay Star Sport does not have a dinette but as yours, the couch is next to the end of the FWS. You do the best you can with what you have.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Stan attached "D" rings to the metal frame of the sofa. He removes the front and rear seat cushions from the set of three cushions. Our sofa is bolted to the floor. The car seats hook now as if it was in the car. The boys face to the rear in the correct position for safety. Next summer they will be able to face each other!!!
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 07:09 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
The "boys" ready to go to Thomas the Train Land!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	264.6 KB
ID:	122431  
diva51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:54 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post

I've done the same thing and it does make for a solid foundation.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:23 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thank you all for your wonderful feedback.

Tags
ace, vent