RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-28-2020, 07:01 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Care Free Topper Failures

I just drove my 2016 Ventana home and though I inspected the roof before the purchase, I just looked with the slides out and noticed the driver side slide out topper was torn. Of course it has to be the topper that's 24 feet long.
I thought this must be uncommon and I was going to contact Care Free until I read a post from another Newmar owner that has had all three of his replaced on a 2017 model.
It seems to me that a black fabric simply isn't going to hold up as well as a light colored awning. My 2008 Tiffin still has its original toppers and they are in great shape.
So what are some of you replacing your toppers with?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 09:53 AM   #2

I replaced the bedroom and full slide topper using Tough Top Awnings

The replacement topper material from Tough Top Awnings to me is a better material than the original.

RVgeeks has a video on youtube describing how to replace the toppers. The bedroom topper was easy. The full wall topper on the driver's side was harder since it's soo long. Takes 2 people.

I noticed we have the same Ventana model. I attached the service manual for the full wall slide. Describes how to remove the slide cover. Use silicon as it helps "rusty/stuck" pins & connectors move. I also used silicon when inserting the new slide topper to help it slide into place.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 052520-301r8 SOKIII-and-Summit-Service-Manual.pdf (2.53 MB, 2 views)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:55 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We had to replace our full wall slide topper - fabric AND mechanism - after a wind storm ravaged our Ventana while we were away from our coach for a short time. That happened once now in five years. We are on our second Newmar (one DS; one VT) over 11 years and have had only this one issue.
Bushy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:33 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarrior7 View Post
I just drove my 2016 Ventana home and though I inspected the roof before the purchase, I just looked with the slides out and noticed the driver side slide out topper was torn. Of course it has to be the topper that's 24 feet long.

I thought this must be uncommon and I was going to contact Care Free until I read a post from another Newmar owner that has had all three of his replaced on a 2017 model.

It seems to me that a black fabric simply isn't going to hold up as well as a light colored awning. My 2008 Tiffin still has its original toppers and they are in great shape.

So what are some of you replacing your toppers with?

I replaced all mine about four years ago. They are black and holding up great. I bought them from StoneVos. Talk to Ingrid.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky573 View Post
I replaced all mine about four years ago. They are black and holding up great. I bought them from StoneVos. Talk to Ingrid.
I called Stone Vos and was very impressed with their product/ Thanks for the tip, my new replacement is on its way.
Old 10-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #6

Thanks to recommendations on this forum a couple months back I also contacted Stone Vos. My bedroom slide topper (Carefree) ripped and the fabric was getting brittle. Stitching on the other two toppers were all coming apart after the first year. I certainly wasn't going to have a similar fabric put back on.

I guess I'm taking the lazy way. I'll be camped in Stone Vos's lot at the end of the month having them install all new black toppers.
FLJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:08 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Thanks to recommendations on this forum a couple months back I also contacted Stone Vos. My bedroom slide topper (Carefree) ripped and the fabric was getting brittle. Stitching on the other two toppers were all coming apart after the first year.
I thought my fabric had ripped as well but Stone Vos said it was probably the stitching and they were right. The fabric is fine but the stitching is gone. Stone Vos uses a "lifetime" thread on their products.
I'm sure I'll be calling them when the other awnings fail.