RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2020, 07:35 AM   #15

This is just one more reason why I like this site so much....Thanks everyone would have never known.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2020, 08:11 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
20 or lower has worked for us over 14 years.
Thanks....!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:39 PM   #17

From Sleep Number:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	334BD320-60BE-4FDC-9D26-431578F44CC8.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	292559  
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
LeslieGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:43 PM   #18

Its a shame sleep number do not put a safety valve on their RV products this would then give a fail safe method to people who forget which is easily done
BriarPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriarPatch View Post
Its a shame sleep number do not put a safety valve on their RV products this would then give a fail safe method to people who forget which is easily done
I would think that would be hard to do...

Unless testing can show that the bladder fails consistently at a certain pressure ... at what pressure would you set the safety valve...???

Would you limit the weight capacity of the mattress...???

Sooner or later a rather heavy individual will want a firm mattress, and by plopping, rolling, or maybe even just relaxing on the bed... he could activate the safety valve and release air...

What if two people end up on one side of the bed.... wink, wink... and air is released...

What if there is some vigorous "activity" on the bed... again, wink, wink... and air is released...

I suspect the failures are at a low enough rate that they are willing to absorb the warranty and/or good will claims, to avoid the complexity and possible bad performance of a safety valve...

Of course, I could be wrong...
Old 07-11-2020, 03:13 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post

Unless testing can show that the bladder fails consistently at a certain pressure ... at what pressure would you set the safety valve...???

Sooner or later a rather heavy individual will want a firm mattress, and by plopping, rolling, or maybe even just relaxing on the bed... he could activate the safety valve and release air...

What if two people end up on one side of the bed.... wink, wink... and air is released...

What if there is some vigorous "activity" on the bed... again, wink, wink... and air is released...

I suspect the failures are at a low enough rate that they are willing to absorb the warranty and/or good will claims, to avoid the complexity and possible bad performance of a safety valve...

Good points made...wink..wink.

I am sure there is a pressure relief valve out there that could work but the cost would likely be quite high given the need to account for all the wiinking that does happen on these beds with varying weights of individuals and intensity of winking.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:48 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hattitude View Post

Think I'm beyond that now, wink wink!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:51 PM   #22

This thread is indeed fascinating! Not so much about Sleep Number (I don't have one) but the posters that talked about exploding potato chip bags, ketchup that shoots out, and toothpaste! Another poster mentioned swollen Tide bottles. Wonder what would happen with those new-fangled Tide pods? Since I've never traveled out West, this was VERY INTERESTING!
tommar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 10:47 PM   #23

The expansion of bottles and bags is a direct function of how much air/gas is in the container. No air all product, no pressure change!
gsdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveR View Post
Good points made...wink..wink.

I am sure there is a pressure relief valve out there that could work but the cost would likely be quite high given the need to account for all the wiinking that does happen on these beds with varying weights of individuals and intensity of winking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommar View Post

Think I'm beyond that now, wink wink!

Old 07-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #25

Alpine Owners Club
Our last 5th wheel came with a King Sleep number bed and we were so excited when we go it.....after a couple of months we were so done with that bed.....not only were never really comfortable sleeping on it but as we RV primarily out west we had to add the "Deflate Bed" to our pre-departure chcklist.

Overall it was a complete PIA for us and we replaced with a very nice memory foam mattress that was so much more comfortable for us at least and no having to remember to deflate the bed on departure
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 01:02 AM   #26

Our issue is we have had a couple of SC beds in our S&B house so we love the fact that She can be at 35 while require 95...can't do that with any other mattress without having twin beds which is a non-starter for us. After doing the air drainage prior to departure for 14 years we are quite used to it and it is just one more checklist item.