Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2009, 03:59 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cargo bay sewer line hole seal

Our Newmar Grandstar has a hole, with treaded cap, that the sewer line goes through in the cargo bay so we can close the cargo door. The hole is larger then the sewer line. What do you use to seal around the hose when parked for any length of time to keep mice and other animals out.
WVCoalminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
i use an old towel
clubmed98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:58 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill,
Consider this product RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard I do not use the product (have a macerator). It sounds like something that fits your needs.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:08 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Bill: Have messed with this same thing and have usually ended up packing towel/rag in this gap, but that "critter guard" Gary linked to, might be the answer. Steve
Old 12-28-2009, 06:23 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
This item from Camping world should solve your problem. Foam Rubber Sewer Seal - Item - Camping World
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 07:20 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Bill,
Consider this product RV Accessory, Motorhome Pest and Insect Control - RV-Critter Guard I do not use the product (have a macerator). It sounds like something that fits your needs.
Gary, which system do you use, [macerator] and have you posted pictures?
Joe

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubmed98 View Post
i use an old towel
i found an old piece of wool blanket that has been soaked in moth ball essence works well to
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Joe,
I have the Tetford Sani-Con macerator twist on system with the grey water bypass feature. The twist on system was, for me, the better choice (they also have a black box system). For me, the grey water bypass is a mandatory feature. When the macerator is not running, nothing travels through the macerator. The grey water bypass allows grey water to pass through to the sewer without having to run the macerator.

Originally I had the Flo-Jet macerator. It did not have the grey water bypass. What a PITA. When camped for the "duration" I can fill up a grey tank quickly. Having to keep the grey valve closed and then run the macerator to empty the grey tank was not my idea of convenience. The Flo-Jet also became clogged frequently. This added to my frustration with this product. I finally got fed up and trashed the Flo-Jet at the KOA near Williams, AZ.

For the rest of the summer I used the 3" blue hose. After having a macerator the 3" hose was not acceptable.

I have not posted pictures. The reason is the twist on model just twists onto the waste pipe opening. The electric hookup is a red and black wire. I didn't think it merited photos. The only thing I did add was a support for the macerator motor. This support is positioned at the end of the motor next to the basement door (when closed). To make the support, I took some bubble wrap and wrapped electrical tape around it, until fully enclosed. The tape put minimal pressure on the bubble wrap.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 AM   #9

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I had'nt thought about that problem...now something else to think about. I like the foam seal idea. I keep several containers with drilled holes full of mothballs as a deterrant.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a 5" clear extension to bring the outlet down out of that hole. Now I've never bothered sealing up the hole but I"m thinking a "Sewer Dounut" could be modified to do the job nicely In fact I'm nto sure it would need to be modified

Just shove it up over the extension
Old 12-28-2009, 04:30 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Gary

Are there not 3 Sani-Cons systems: 1 the box and the other 2 twist on types
1 Stays on the system and other has it own case that you store it in.

Also is there enough room when you have the pump attached to sewer system to shut the bay door.

I have seen the box system installed by Newmar, but have not seen the others attached to sewer system and I am worried about clearance. That's reason for pictures question.

Where did you get power from, in the wet bay or home run to the batteries?

Thanks Joe

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Since this thread is in the utility bay, I guess we can converse here. There are two twist on models. One without the grey water by pass and one with the grey water by pass. The one with the grey water bypass has no case for storage. It should also say "grey water by pass" in the product description. It will also have a 21' retractable discharge hose that goes to the CG sewer connection. Go to Sani-Con with Twist-On System - Item - Camping World to see what I purchased.

For the electric, I connected to the water pump wiring. I increased the fuse size for the circuit. Please no flames. I am comfortable with what I've done.

In my coach I had about 1/2" between the end of the motor and the inside of the bay door. If all else failed, I would have put a 45 degree adapter on the coach outlet. That would allow more room for the macerator.

If you are coming to the Tampa RV Super Show, I'll be there and can show it to you. Or anybody else.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:19 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I buy the copper pot scrubbies 3 or 4 to a pack at the dollar store. When partially unravelled they are donut shaped and about 4 to 5 inches around. I slide two over the sewer hose. One gets pushed up from below the sewer compartment opening and the other pushed down from above. A couple shakes of Comet makes it even less attractive. They also work well for plugging any electrical or water line openings.
Volunteers USFWS. 9,300 hrs each, 29 refuges. 04 Allegro 30DA, WH 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty , Brake Buddy Adv Select, 300watts Solar, "Philippians 4:11-13 KJV"
Rocky Larson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:50 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the information. Gary & Joe, I'm glad you talked about the macerators as I have been looking at them. The camping world one does not say "grey water by pass" in the product description. It does, from looking at the picture, have a clear tube that runs around the pump. Is that the grey water bypass? Its nice to find out stuff like this from people that have been RVing longer then I have.
Thanks Again, Bill
WVCoalminer is offline   Reply With Quote