Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2017, 09:07 AM   #29

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Limited CCC is a fact of life with a gasser class A.

My Canyon Start has a 5,000 pound capacity
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhxx View Post
Hello,

I am the original poster, a lot has gone on since my original post. It turns out you CAN order the 3401 with the 24,000 chassis. Don't bother asking customer service, you have to find a dealer that will work with Newmar directly. Our 3401 has been on order and due to be here in 3 to 4 weeks. Maybe they were willing to upgrade because it was near the end of the model year and had spare 24K chassis around, who knows? It was about $5000 to upgrade. I was also able to add some extra 12V outlets, and a 1 1/2" conduit from the roof to the basement for solar wiring, less expensive than the solar prep kit which only uses 8 AWG wire. We just wish we would have checked on having the stovetop recessed, like the Canyon Stars, as the counter space seems small. We asked too late.

Shopping for an RV is always a compromise, the 3401 is a bit larger than we wanted, we wanted to be closer to 30'. The Bay Star Sport 3210 would have been perfect, but the Sports are not nearly as nice as the Bay Stars. I agree with some of the other posters a 30-35' DP would be nice to find.

After reading some of these posts, I am glad I did my research upfront about the CCC. I checked with 3 dealers across the country and was able to get actual CCC of units similar to how we wanted it. We went through the same process when we shopped for a travel trailer, you have to check actual units on the lots, not the posted specifications. It is sorry to hear about people finding out later that their units are too heavy.

I will try to post photos when we get the coach, my DW upgraded a lot of the fabrics inside. It will truly be a one of a kind inside and out.

Don
Glad you were able to get what you wanted. I've seen a lot of folks post that their request for the 24000# chassis was turned down. Never seen the recessed stove. I'll have to look into that. The conduit is a better idea than the prep kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
Newmars aren't the only units with heavier chassis but a lot of the low to mid-range gassers are built on 18,000# or 20500# chassis. Before deciding to order a Bay Star we looked hard at a new Georgetown 5 series. 35 feet long and built on a 20,500# chassis.
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:41 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart W View Post
I have a 3113 with upgraded front sway bar and the additional rear sway bar plus the steer safe system. Can the Summo springs be added without issue and did you do only the front?
tdavidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #32

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdavidstone View Post
I have a 3113 with upgraded front sway bar and the additional rear sway bar plus the steer safe system. Can the Summo springs be added without issue and did you do only the front?

Yes I only did the fronts, they are not to bad to install. One hole drilled on each side. I did not want to deal with drilling holes in the rear, seems tight without removing the wheels.
Entegra 2025 Cornerstone 45D on order
Stuart W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnhxx View Post
Hello,

I am the original poster, a lot has gone on since my original post. It turns out you CAN order the 3401 with the 24,000 chassis. Don't bother asking customer service, you have to find a dealer that will work with Newmar directly. Our 3401 has been on order and due to be here in 3 to 4 weeks. Maybe they were willing to upgrade because it was near the end of the model year and had spare 24K chassis around, who knows? It was about $5000 to upgrade. I was also able to add some extra 12V outlets, and a 1 1/2" conduit from the roof to the basement for solar wiring, less expensive than the solar prep kit which only uses 8 AWG wire. We just wish we would have checked on having the stovetop recessed, like the Canyon Stars, as the counter space seems small. We asked too late.

Shopping for an RV is always a compromise, the 3401 is a bit larger than we wanted, we wanted to be closer to 30'. The Bay Star Sport 3210 would have been perfect, but the Sports are not nearly as nice as the Bay Stars. I agree with some of the other posters a 30-35' DP would be nice to find.

After reading some of these posts, I am glad I did my research upfront about the CCC. I checked with 3 dealers across the country and was able to get actual CCC of units similar to how we wanted it. We went through the same process when we shopped for a travel trailer, you have to check actual units on the lots, not the posted specifications. It is sorry to hear about people finding out later that their units are too heavy.

I will try to post photos when we get the coach, my DW upgraded a lot of the fabrics inside. It will truly be a one of a kind inside and out.

Don
Thank you for updating us. We are one of those that tried to upgrade to the 24000 chassis (for a 2016 model) and were turned down. I think it has more to do with them opening that door starting with the 2017 models when they first started building Bay Stars with the 24000 chassis (in 2015 when we were turned down we went through Newmar sales account rep, not customer service).

Great suggestions on the other "specials" too. Again thanks for sharing so everyone can benefit!
lnanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Our 3113 came through with a CCC of 3075# with added options. Most of the weight gain is from the residential refrigerator with 2 additional batteries and the dual heat pump AC with 50 amp upgrade and larger generator. Those options can add up.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #35

CCC on Bay Star Models

Mine came in at 2875. I must assume the overhead bunk to weigh a couple of a few hundred pounds. With our coach moderately loaded, full fuel, propane, 2/3 water, my wife and I with the dog the front axle was at 7,300. Not much reserve.

I could not do the 4 corner at the CAT scales. I have tried to relocate all of the heavy items such as chalks, rubber blocks, tool boxes etc. as far readward as possible. Items such as blankets, clothes and lighter items will be placed in the forward bays.

On our next trip out we will have again added more in the way of clothing, food and personal items and we expect to be heavier. I will get the coach weighed at that time and share the new situation.

It would seem to me that Newmar knows of the overweight potential, especially on the front axle and would move some of the equipment rearward. If they moved the battery bank and the propane back at least one bay, I would expect a more balanced coach. Kinda where the water and generator are on the passenger side.
tdavidstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #36

We don't plan on the overcab bed or the residential fridge. That will save us some weight. I'm guessing we'll have 2000-2200 lbs after we subtract options, water and people. Not luxurious but doable.

I noticed on Knightstorm's right that the residential fridge and the two house batteries are on a tray mid-coach. Don't know if that's normal with the residential fridge or maybe it's a new thing for 2018 that wound up in his late 2017 coach. Would make sense to add a battery tray mid-coach and take some of the weight of the batteries off the front axle.

From an engineering standpoint, any weight forward of the front axles is theoretically born by the front axle. Any behind the rear axle is born by the rear axle. Stuff in between is shared. But add in the suspension and any frame flex and it's not quite that simple. The axles won't act as true fulcrums. Still, putting very heavy items (tools, grills, gold bars , etc.) behind the rear axle should take a bit of weight off the front thanks to the fulcrum created by the rear axle. In practice, however, it's probably not as much as you'd hope. Can't hurt, right?

We're going to ask about a 24,000 lb frame. I'm sure we'll be told no but another 2,000 lbs would be nice!
Dan McMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #37

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The 2400# chassis may not be available in the shorter wheelbase of the 3113. While Newmar seems to shorten the chassis a bit, there may be more involved in shortening the longer chassis.

Former owner of a Morgan powered Bennington
knightstorm is offline   Reply With Quote