Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2018, 07:57 AM   #1

Location: Not Sure, but I think I should have turned left at Albuquerque
Cargo Door latch replacement

Can someone tell me what type of heads they use on the bolts that attach the latch to the door? I have tried torx and hex and the closest match is 5/32" or 3mm, but either is a tight fit. I guess they stripped the heads and I am going to have to replace the bolts as well.

Does anyone know the part # for the cable that attaches to the door latch, it does not come with the latch and it is frayed and need replacement also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2674 (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	209943  
FlaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2018, 08:22 AM   #2

The bolts (or screws) are just the normal self-tapping screws. I guess the person working on the doors had some issues. Not sure if the reason the latch broke was it was too far from the part that is on the coach and didn't match up correctly, the holes on the left were the ones that were used.

The screws for the strut also pulled out. I retaped the holes for new bolts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	247.5 KB
ID:	209944   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	209945  

Old 07-07-2018, 08:25 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlaRider View Post
Can someone tell me what type of heads they use on the bolts that attach the latch to the door? I have tried torx and hex and the closest match is 5/32" or 3mm, but either is a tight fit. I guess they stripped the heads and I am going to have to replace the bolts as well.

Does anyone know the part # for the cable that attaches to the door latch, it does not come with the latch and it is frayed and need replacement also.
I don't think it matters what type of head is used. The key is to have a metal screw with threads that will hold in the existing hole. On my NA the over torqued self tapping screws used have enlarge the hole to such an extent that a tight connection cannot be made. In several places I have just drilled a new hole and used a normal metal screw properly torqued.

When these latches are loose hanging from over torqued screws they can be damaged after repeated opening and closing. Looking at your image, you latch may be bent.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:36 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would check with Newmar. I have had very good luck getting parts for my '03 coach from them. The latches like yours are less than $12 retail and free shipping. You may need to call for the cable. If you set up an account (free) and use your coach serial number the catalog is more detailed to your coach and may list the cables as well. I ordered some trim pieces that were not listed by email. It was about $100 less expensive than the genetic trim I found after about a week of Googling for it. Some prices are high but many are very fair. For a 2018 it will probably be under warranty. Their shipping is fast as well.
1995 Warrior
Hufficon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:

Looks like you may have to remove latch, as I zoomed in it looks like latch welds have given way. Either need new latches, or a friend with mig welder.
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
These are Eberhard rotary latches.
https://www.amazon.com/Eberhard-left...Eberhard+latch
Buly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #7

At first, I didn't realize that they were just self-tapping screw. I didn't know if Newmar was using an odd bolt head and I needed something different to remove it. Nope, just a plain old hex head that was stripped. Picked up a package at Lowe's and will be swapping them out as I go. I hate stripped heads.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looks like you've got the screws figured out. As for the cable you might want to try a bike shop. The shifter and brake cables look quite close to the ones on the Newmar's. Some shops seek by the foot or maybe even a Walmart.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
At first, I didn't realize that they were just self-tapping screw. I didn't know if Newmar was using an odd bolt head and I needed something different to remove it. Nope, just a plain old hex head that was stripped. Picked up a package at Lowe's and will be swapping them out as I go. I hate stripped heads.
Yup, odd screw cap so they can get full torque and strip out the seat.
turbopilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, door, replace, replacement