Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Carpet Tiles

The carpet that came in my 2001 Mountainaire was, no doubt when it was new, high quality. Time came to replace it and we were faced with the usual choices. At first we hoped to replace it with carpet similar to what was there originally.
A friend suggested high quality carpet tile (not cheap). We got some samples and liked them so that we bought enough to replace the existing carpet.
Newmar thankfully does not (or did not) use a million staples to hold down the old carpet so with limited effort and one big scrapper I removed the majority of the carpet in about an hour. The edges and tight spots took some more time and removal of some staples took another few hours.
The carpet tiles a2x2 ft and cut easily. They can be cut to fit (I did not remove chairs ) easily. I opted to do the cutting of all the tile and put them in place before securing them. Even with nothing to hold them down there was little movement and the seams are hard to see when placed together..
In a searching for othere who had installed carpet tile a friend came across a post in which the poster (don't have details on who) the poster said he had used five dots of liquid nails and tthat was sufficent to hold the tiles in place with no problems. So that is what I did. Looks good but since my rig is surrounded with snow I have not road tested. Lots of salt still on the roads.
Looks great easy to clean stain resistant and will not hold dust deep in the pile. If a tile needs to be replace it can be easily popped up and removed.
The floor is not soft and plush as it was, but my wife who supervised the project closlely, declared it easy to clean. Which for a motorhome can be an important quality, or so i have been told.
Thanks to the unnamed poster, for the liquid nail suggestion. I was prepared to use adhesive. The tile comes with corner stick circles that will hold the corners together but I did not use them. It al looks tight as is.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-20-2015, 07:27 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
The above post was done with thick fingers on a small keyboard.. Forgive the errors. Teying to edit or correct them would only have made it worse,.: Thanks
Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
pictures
kustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
How about some pics?

I've considered doing the same but wondered how I would handle the carpet edge that hangs just a bit over the big living room slide floor and hides the ramp between the slide floor and the main floor. I have a flat floor slide and the existing carpet is bound on that edge.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:05 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I have pictures from before thejob was completed and will post when I learn how. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2015, 12:31 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
one now I know Tiles not secured and no edge molding.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	89161  
Old 03-21-2015, 12:36 PM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
two
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	182
Size:	414.0 KB
ID:	89162  
Old 03-21-2015, 12:38 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
three
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	132
Size:	316.0 KB
ID:	89163  
Old 03-21-2015, 12:48 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Very nice the seams as you say do not even show.
How does movement of slide rollers do as they move over tiles, should not pose a problem tiles a lot thinner than the old rug and foam thickness, just wondered how they hold as rollers run over tiles.
Not many jobs like this will be adding in QT's # 3 for future reference for members.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
Have had the slides in and out a few times no problem even with tiles not secure.
Quick project start to finish. Total around ten hours, old carpet removal included.
Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 PM   #11

Carpet sellers should also sell a semi-contact adhesive specially designed for carpet tiles. Holds the tiles firmly in place, but allows individual tiles to be easily removed and replaced for cleaning.

In my MCI DIY conversion, we have carpet tiles right through front to back. Saves cold feet on ceramic tiles and stuff doesn't break as easily when dropped on the floor. Non-slip in the bathroom too.

Would like to end up with the same in the Airstream, but I imagine getting rid of the ceramic tiles would be a major undertaking.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:24 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
hillboy,

I am curious how your carpet tile floor has held up after a season of use. The carpet in our coach is due for "refreshing" and am debating about whether to stick with carpet or go to some hard surface flooring. Hearing about your experience and any suggestions you might have about what you should have done differently would be appreciated.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:33 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarwiebe View Post
hillboy,

I am curious how your carpet tile floor has held up after a season of use. The carpet in our coach is due for "refreshing" and am debating about whether to stick with carpet or go to some hard surface flooring. Hearing about your experience and any suggestions you might have about what you should have done differently would be appreciated.
Our carpet/wood floor is OEM, at 16 years old, still looks great
Never wear our shoes inside, that is also what the original owners said.
It is way easier to take care of it than to change it out for new...........but new will come someday......as with anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06173.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	108770  
Old 10-04-2015, 02:53 PM   #14

If any Newmar owners are thinking of removing carpet in the front of the coach and put wood flooring or any flooring that is higher then the carpet remember you slide out height. Put wood floors in our Essex and want to keep the same height as the tile and when we did it turned out great except when it was time to bring the slide in it wouldn't move because the ramp was to low for the new flooring. Had to change rollers and raise the slide ramp. A lot of work and wasn't planning on that issue.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet