Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #1

Cat overheating issues

We have a 2000 DSDP on a Freightliner with a 300 Cat. We have been experiencing overheating when pulling grades and the problem is getting more severe. We have had the coolant system flushed, thermostat replaced, and radiator cleaned as best possible with the side mount. Has anyone had issues with the water pump causing this problem or am I looking at changing the radiator. The coach has 130,000 miles.

2000 DSDP 38
Homeless Vagabonds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2018, 12:21 AM   #2

What about the fan, is it operating correctly, those water pumps usually leak long before they stop pumping water, maybe water pump belt loose ? check that you don't have too much oil in crankcase, that will cause the engine to overheat in a hard pull really quick. After that my bet is radiator but I would think it could be cleaned somehow.
Old 05-09-2018, 12:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Vagabonds View Post
We have a 2000 DSDP on a Freightliner with a 300 Cat. We have been experiencing overheating when pulling grades and the problem is getting more severe. We have had the coolant system flushed, thermostat replaced, and radiator cleaned as best possible with the side mount. Has anyone had issues with the water pump causing this problem or am I looking at changing the radiator. The coach has 130,000 miles.
I have a 1999 with that same power plant, where does your temp gauge normally run? My water temp runs a little past straight up, maybe the one o-clock position and my oil press runs the lower side of straight up maybe the eleven o-clock position, how does yours compare,
Old 05-09-2018, 06:58 AM   #4

The oil levels are good and the fan was replaced last year. Forgot to mention that fact. The normal temp is about 11 o'clock or a little left until I hit a good grade with warm ambient temperatures. Have to gear down and sometimes turn on the dash heat.

2000 DSDP 38
Old 05-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeless Vagabonds View Post
I had a 1999 DP with a 330 Cat that would overheat on long grades. It was rear cooled and I think that helped make it worse. The solution I eventually found was to downshift to increase the rpm's. Even though I could easily go faster, the downshift required slowing down - usually to 40-45 mph with rpm's up near 2000-2200. On steeper grades I would have to go slower.

Once I got used to anticipating it, the overheating was only a minor bother. Sometimes - like I40 EB towards Kingman AZ in the summer - a long gradual grade could sneak up on you. Learned to be quite vigilant in including the temp gauge in my scan. Hope this helps...
tj3964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #6

The radiator was supposed to be cleaned at the Cat service center last fall. I elected to attempt to clean it myself. Removed the fan and the shroud. Then sprayed the engine side with "Crud Cutter", let soak and then washed off with garden hose sprayer. Did this 3 times and a leak developed. Drained the system and son-in-law attempted to aluminum solder the hole. We were not successful. Since the radiator is over 18 years old and has plastic tanks, I elected to replace the radiator. A significant project to remove but it is done. The radiator is still very dirty with a lot of grass stuck in it. I believe that the overheating cause has been solved.

Thanks to those that responded with suggestions. This forum is a great source of info.

2000 DSDP 38

Tags
cat, heat, heating