Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003 Mountain Aire 3778 with a CB antenna on the roof. Does anyone know how the antenna lead is run through the roof, and if I would be to pull cellular antenna lead through in its place?? I assume it runs down the window column but not sure about the roof.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:49 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a 2003 Mountain Aire 3778 with a CB antenna on the roof. Does anyone know how the antenna lead is run through the roof, and if I would be to pull cellular antenna lead through in its place?? I assume it runs down the window column but not sure about the roof.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:59 PM   #3

Stubborn, I'm pretty sure that's how the coax is run for the CB antenna, running the antenna wire for your cellular should be be relatively easy by securing the cb coax to the cellular wire and pulling it through. Ed.S
Old 08-22-2006, 01:30 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
After looking at it more closely and removing the roof top antenna I believe I can attach to the CB wire and pull through like you said. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-22-2006, 02:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a 2003 Scottsdale. I haven't looked real thoroughly, but I haven't been able to find my coax for my CB (I want to install a CB unit for places where my cell doesn't work).

Also I have a sticker on my A/V center that says "Sat. Prep installed". Anybody know what that means???? Cables run to roof etc.?

And last but not least, my Winegard TV antenna (the amplified version hand cranked) doesn't work too well at all (yes the amp is working as I see a better version of snow with it on) I checked connections etc. but not any better.

OBTW I got an align-a-Site for my Directv Set-up. It works like a champ!

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 03:51 PM   #6

I also have an 03. Mine is also on WH22 chassis. I put in Cobra CB myself. The wiring you are looking for is tagged with a label marked for CB. The power wiring and the CB antenna are coiled together under the dash to the left of the steering wheel sort of above the emergency brake - hard to find but it's there.

The sat prep is probably the data line (looks like a telephone line) power and cable already to roof area.

We have a KVH autotrack in-motion dish and we don't use the crank antenna very much, but we have good luck with it and the picture and reception are good when we do use it. I would say you have a problem. MY suggestion would be to first re-check ALL coax connections and second to run a second temporary coax to the amplifier and TV from outside the coach through the window just to check the existing coax wiring. My bet is you have a bad connection somewhere. I also am sorry to ask this and I apologize in advance - but you never know when you have someone new onboard --- so here goes --- you do know that you can rotate the antenna with the round hand knob by the crank to get it where you want directionally right??? I am sorry I asked. But you never know. Also we put a flag on it so we don't drive off with the antenna up.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:53 AM   #7

Fillitup
The flag is a good idea, however I clamp a large barrette (sp? One of those things women put in their hair) on the crank up handle of the antenna and when I crank it up, I clamp the barrette on the steering wheel to remind me the antenna. This is extra insurance as I also have a light, which tells me when the antenna is up. I clamped my Wilson Cell antenna on the horizontal standoff bracket of the slide awing and drilled an appropriate sized hole in the slide, to insert the cable, which came through into the overhead cabinets to the amplifier, then installed the dome antenna on the bottom of the overhead cabinets.. I sealed the antenna entrance hole through the slide and installed a stainless Clam shell thru-hull fitting over the wire to ˜dress it up' and provide further protection from water
we_rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:24 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks guys for all the help! And Filitup... no offense taken you are correct, you never know. I have been a Licensed Ham Since 1958 and have designed a bunch of gear including antennas. So I had to chuckle at how politically correct your phrasing was I really appreciate the help.

My buddies tell me they all get great pictures on theirs (crank-up) so I will do more checking. That tip with the temp coax will be my next try.

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
Old 08-27-2006, 11:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Heh-heh-heh. Was reading about the barrette/clip everyone uses to remind them their antenna is up.

We used to have a Mexican restaurant in the area that offered their "Garter" margarita, which was a giant-size margarita and came with a garter around the glass (bowl??)... but don't ask me where the connection is between the two, never did figure it out.

Anyways, I used to use one of their garters as the antenna-reminder on my first motorhome. Til the day I drove my rv to work to show it off to my boss, that is. He immediately spotted the garter hanging down from the antenna-crank and commented about how "he really and truly hoped that whatever I was doing in my 'Nooner-Schooner' wasn't going to affect my work-productivity during business hours".

I use a clothes-pin now.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fillitup et al

Well, thanks to you guys, I now have a working CB rig. Finding my coax was quite a pain and I would never have found it without your help!

I am still working on the TV Antenna probs, I need a dry day with no T-storms to get up on top of the rig. But I am sure it is a cabling problem.