Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #1

My factory antenna hits about everything I go under. I notice that there is an angle adjustment to lower it. Will this affect range,etc significantly? Im not sure the antenna is tuned properly anyhow and would like to find out where I could get the tuning checked...any jabberjaws around here ????
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2006, 05:32 PM   #2

My factory antenna hits about everything I go under. I notice that there is an angle adjustment to lower it. Will this affect range,etc significantly? Im not sure the antenna is tuned properly anyhow and would like to find out where I could get the tuning checked...any jabberjaws around here ????
footdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 06:17 PM   #3

Lowering the antenna will reduce range a bit but poor tuning is the biggest problem with CB. You can go on ebay and buy an SWR meter or find a local CB shop that will let you borrow one and check the antenna. To adjust for lowest SWR reading you simply raise or lower the antenna mast by millimeters using the adjustment screw at the base. You will never get to 0 but get as low as you can and check several channels.

08 Monaco Dynasty Renaissance IV
montanaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My factory antenna hits about everything I go under. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Think of it as a curb feeler for the roof. Maybe it would save an air conditioner or a wind speed propeller.
Old 12-08-2006, 03:16 AM   #5
Administrator Emeritus

On my Essex the cb antenna is now a rubber ducky....seems to do a "decent" job, but all I really ever use the cb for is to turn it on to see what the back up is being caused by and which lane is moving....Other than that, it's a bit too colorful for me most times....

And don't even get me started about the "national" RV channel....
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:10 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And don't even get me started about the "national" RV channel.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hi Bob! What is the National RV Channel??? Paul
Old 12-08-2006, 06:23 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
And don't even get me started about the "national" RV channel.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He may be refering to CB channel 13, eh?

But then he said not to get him started about it...why is that??
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
cwg

So Bob, why are you using a CB for road jams and conditions when you have that fine Pioneer AVIC-D2 with XM road conditions built in? Probably for the same reason as most of us... it takes another monthly subscription.

Who put in your extra monitor for the Pioneer by the way?
cwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:32 AM   #9
Administrator Emeritus

Ok you rascals....

Paul, it seems that everywhere you go you hear this "use Channel 13 for RV's" movement....
I've read it in camping stores, in RV dealership parts departments and even in a magazine or two.

SO....for several weeks when I got my new Vectra, then my new Essex, when I passed an RV'er that looked like he had a cb I would hail them.....NEVER HEARD ANYTHING.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 AM   #10
Administrator Emeritus

Chuck, I have the "even finer" AVIC-Z1 in my coach AND XM radio,but I don't subscribe to the traffic...

The extra monitor was done by Soundtronics in Wilmington,NC and they're the same group that's going to wire the coach for the second camera on the trailer...

I'll be down at Howard RV on Sunday afternoon in order that Soundtronics came come down on Monday morning and do the install, then head to Arkansas on Wednesday or maybe even start that way Tuesday.
Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 PM   #11

Don't know what they charge but some truck stops have CB shops and they will tune your antenna.

If you want good range and none of the "language" issues you should look into getting your HAM radio technician liscense. You don't have to learn morse code and you can take practice tests on line a www.qrz.com There are only 35 questions on the test from a pool of 500 (I think) It's really not that difficult and the people are much nicer. Most areas also have repeaters to talk through.

E350 Chassis
Mike (KC9IPV) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 07:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by footdoc:
My factory antenna hits about everything I go under. I notice that there is an angle adjustment to lower it. Will this affect range,etc significantly? Im not sure the antenna is tuned properly anyhow and would like to find out where I could get the tuning checked...any jabberjaws around here ???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My 2003 Scottsdale has the standard factory antenna that has the two knurled "tuning rings" on it. I posted a thread a while ago and Mahlon and I figured it out. Took about 30 minutes to tune it up.

Search for (In Newmar forum):
What CB Antenna came on the 2003 Scottsdale?

Hope this helps.

Cheers

"Be careful out there, because no matter where you go.......... There you are" (Bucakaroo Banzai)
park_ridge_dave is offline   Reply With Quote