Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2020, 01:24 PM   #1
TDL

Ceiling Conduit

It looks like I have a bad coax cable or coax connector from the Dish receiver to the in-motion satellite. I have a SAT PREP drawing from Newmar that shows a panel at each end and conduit along with a pull string to run cables.

Has anyone used this conduit to run / rerun cables in the ceiling and are there any issues to be careful about?

Tom
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2020, 06:24 AM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDL View Post
It looks like I have a bad coax cable or coax connector from the Dish receiver to the in-motion satellite. I have a SAT PREP drawing from Newmar that shows a panel at each end and conduit along with a pull string to run cables.

Has anyone used this conduit to run / rerun cables in the ceiling and are there any issues to be careful about?

Tom
I was surprised when it turned out to about 8 foot long. I was really bummed on my coach when I ran into what must be a really sharp turn. I had to go buy a fish tape and get really aggressive. No way the existing string was strong enough. Hope your conduit is easier to use than mine. Good luck!
walkerhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:40 PM   #3
TDL

So I checked with Newmar. Apparently, if Newmar installs the satellite, they do not install the SAT PREP conduit but rather free wire the install. Bummer. I guess I’m looking for other creative ideas.

TDL
Old 07-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Ceiling Conduit

I would think it would be unusual to have a bad spot midway in cable.
1. Can you take a spare cable and run it outside of coach to verify?
2. If #1 above works, replace the connectors on each end.
Old 07-23-2020, 03:48 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
I would think it would unusual to have a bad spot midway in cable.
1. Can you take a spare cable and run it outside of coach to verify?
2. If #1 above works, replace the connectors on each end.
I agree.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 05:03 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Before you do anything, loosen the connections at the satellite and then retighten. Sometimes they can get a little corroded and not make contact.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 05:38 AM   #7
TDL

Thanks guys, feedback is great. What seems odd is that the coax that connects at the receiver and then disappears above the ceiling panel is orange in color. The cable coming out of the roof access box and runs to the dish is white. Someplace between the receiver and the roof access box the cable changes. Does anyone know if the box is where cables are changed (from the orange to the white)?
Old 07-24-2020, 09:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerhound View Post
I was really bummed on my coach when I ran into what must be a really sharp turn.
Interesting. When I talked to Newmar (through dealer) about specials for conduit for various wiring and specified no bends greater than 60 degrees, they told me they never put bends in wiring conduit at all. I wonder if policy at Newmar has changed, or whether I was just fed a line?
Old 07-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmp1991 View Post
Interesting. When I talked to Newmar (through dealer) about specials for conduit for various wiring and specified no bends greater than 60 degrees, they told me they never put bends in wiring conduit at all. I wonder if policy at Newmar has changed, or whether I was just fed a line?
I don't know how they wouldn't put bends at all in the conduit. I ordered my 21 with conduit to the front cabinet, so we'll see what I get. I assume this is in addition to the "sat prep" since I got charged extra for it.
realbass1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:53 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Satellite Prep

Both my forward AV cabinet and bedroom cabinet have the sat prep coax connector, can anyone explain what they do?

Thanks,

Mike
mjh0827 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling