Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #1

Ceiling fan install on 06 Mountain Air

wondering if anyone out there has installed a ceiling fan in the bedroom or living room of there coach, and if it is a major venture ?
thanks Doug.
twinglides is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 10:11 AM   #2

Just finished installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom of our 04 DS. After several calls to Newmar for information on ceiling structure I went about installing a 36" remote ceiling fan. The fan had a three point fastening structure, so I made sure that 2 of the fastening points were in line with the cross beam ceiling strut. I accessed the ceiling by removing a fluorescent light fixture and an adjacent duct from the AC unit. For fasteners I used 2 self tapping screws for the metal slat in the ceiling and 1 Bolt with a large washer and a lock nut for the third fastener. Since it was a 12 volt system I took my power from the light power line adjacent to the fan and ran it above the ceiling....all was readily accessible thru vent and light fixture openings in the ceiling. Patience is a good ally when doing this, but it is doable and works well. FYI
Old 02-28-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarsha2 View Post
Just finished installing a ceiling fan in the bedroom of our 04 DS. After several calls to Newmar for information on ceiling structure I went about installing a 36" remote ceiling fan. The fan had a three point fastening structure, so I made sure that 2 of the fastening points were in line with the cross beam ceiling strut. I accessed the ceiling by removing a fluorescent light fixture and an adjacent duct from the AC unit. For fasteners I used 2 self tapping screws for the metal slat in the ceiling and 1 Bolt with a large washer and a lock nut for the third fastener. Since it was a 12 volt system I took my power from the light power line adjacent to the fan and ran it above the ceiling....all was readily accessible thru vent and light fixture openings in the ceiling. Patience is a good ally when doing this, but it is doable and works well. FYI
Pics??
noserider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:10 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If new construction I'm not sure BUT I did replaced both and it is really a very simple job. If I can do it anyone can
Good luck
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Attached is a finished photo of my installation of the bedroom fan. Unfortunately I did not take pictures as I was installing, however there is not alot to show once the vent and light are removed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7562.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	87450  
Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 AM   #6

Just a couple pointers to go along with the above picture:
1. By removing the vent and the light fixture you have access to above the ceiling.
2. The strut in the ceiling is above the seem strip for easy location.
3. I drilled 2 small holes into the 1" square tubing before using self tapping screws (2)
4. Wiring is fed from light (12 volt)-power to light and fan is controlled by wall switch
5. Third fastener was a bolt with larger washer and locking nut
6. Black dot you see on the ceiling is the remote sensor for the fan
7. Light is controlled by the off/on switch on the light
8. The light cover on my unit had to be altered to accommodate the base of the fan
-with patience and several hand files it will fit.

Ours works well and hope the above helped......
Old 03-02-2015, 11:31 AM   #7

great info from everyone. Looks like i will tackle this job in the very near future. Thanks again to great website.
twinglides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 08:52 AM   #8

Spartan Chassis
Doug,

Till you get your ceiling fan installed, try running your rear AC unit in fan only low or high speed fan position.
Good luck!
shaman52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling, fan, install