Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2017, 12:42 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cell Phone holder - right of driver

I have a 2017 Dutch Star & there is nothing to the right side of the driver to allow me to add a cell phone mount. There are many ways to mount a phone holder to the left side (window or cup mounts) but I am right handed & want my phone to my right side.

I have a GPS on that sits on the dash above the camera screen & I DO NOT want the phone on the dash.

Has anyone added a phone mount right of the driver that is not on the dash?
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #2

I take it you can't sync the phone to the in dash (radio) and eliminate the need to have the phone by your side? Just asking?
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:29 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I want to add something to my coach. I always try to use existing screws or brackets to hold down whatever I'm using. I have a small laptop running on the left side of the dash. I used three of the screws in the dash to hold the mount I made for the laptop.

With that said, I leave my phone in the cup holder on the left and bluetooth the connection.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Cell Phone use can get expensive in many States and Cities. Put in a cupboard and get a hands free system.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 04:46 PM   #5

Here’s what I did. That’s an iKlip phone holder - google it. It is attached to a 3/8” bolt with a bolt rod coupling ran up the threads and then covered in heat shrink tube to dress it up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A477E3A2-9565-40DE-9D17-6C14A26FF7CF.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	178832  
klspahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:07 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure of your exact dash configuration, but since I've never been a fan of drilling holes in the dash area, I use a clamp mount type gooseneck (which is infinitely adjustable) that I found on Amazon.

I clamped it to the left side wall of the open cubby above the catch all/change drawer in my center dash and it holds the phone perfectly at my right and quite visible. My iPhone is linked by bluetooth to my Clarion radio in the dash, but I just my prefer my phone to be visible and quickly accessible while I'm at the wheel.

It works awesome, holds WELL and no holes! I can also remove it easily if I need to, but it's not in the way at all so I just leave it.

Good luck!
NH Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
I use a rokform case and mount. Have same mount in Jeep and suburban. Mount is an adhesive tape holds really well and easy to remove.

Name:	IMG_2448.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	294.9 KB
ID:	178833

Name:	IMG_2449.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	282.4 KB
ID:	178834
Old 10-04-2017, 07:56 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Check into RAM mounts. I use one for my Garmin 770 left of the wheel, it has an adhesive pad so I stuck it on the dash. I've seen some phone mounts out there, not sure of the brand, that clip into A/C vents (the louvers). But I think if you could find the same dash mount like I found that uses an adhesive pad it would work well for you.
NealC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stuart - I agree with not wanting to add things to the dash. We use an adjustable gooseneck holder that plugs into the 12v outlet on our dash. Not sure of the layout of your DS dash, but on our Ventana LE the 12 v plug is to the right of the driver, below the radio and AC controls. The holder is fully adjustable, and holds my iPhone 6Plus (the big one) easily. Either vertical or horizontal view.

I don't remember the brand, but I found this one at Target for approx. $20. Looking quickly online looks as if there are others from about $10 on up. The plug on ours has a single USB port you can use to plug in the phone charging cable; other ones I see have two or three USB ports.

Good luck!
Old 10-06-2017, 12:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Yes my phone is connected to my coach radio by Bluetooth. I had it in cup holder mount on the left but I want it on my right side.

I did find a 22" gooseneck on Amazon that I'm going to see if I can mount coming out from under the dash area.
StuartS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:36 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have a mount that clips on to an air conditioner vent. The phone attaches via a magnet. Bought it at a Best Buy.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:01 AM   #12

I used to use a Ram mount, but found it too difficult to use one handed. Now t use a Nato Mount (magnetic) in my Jeep and the RV. Mounted it just to the right of the driver. They work great!
lostinfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:22 AM   #13
YC1

https://mounts.factoryoutletstore.co...omponents.htmlThe

Ditto the Ram Mounts. I have used many personally and sold thousands of them in my business. The link is not my business.

A couple of screws to a fiberglass dash and it will hold plenty of things. Not cheap but sure versatile. I have a phone, GPS, and rear view monitor mounted on them.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:03 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
For cell phones, get a plastic disk with 3M adhesive on the back stick it to the dash (http://a.co/ebkIv1I). Take your time, follow the directions and don't use it for 24 hrs after application. Then use a suction mount of your choice.

Tags
driver