Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2016, 08:51 PM   #1

Centramatics and Size 365 Tires

This is just an FYI of something I had never read about on IRV2.

Had a more than 30 minute conversation today with Jerry, Centramatic tech support, to determine the model number needed for my wheels. I also wanted to know how many ounces of typical lead balancing weights the centramatics can off-set and that is where it got interesting.

Bottom line is the centramatics contain 12 ounces of balancing shot and one of my two 365 tires required 13 ounces during a spin balance about 1,500 miles ago when all my Alcoa wheels were replaced due to cosmetic manufacturing defects. (wheel surfaces were dirty, stained and not cleaned prior to sealing with the protective film). The other tire required 11 ounces. As a side note, I had my front tires balanced on its maiden voyage and at that time, one tire required 16 ounces of weight!

The centramatic tech stated he was surprised each took so much weight. His opinion was no tire, even 365's should not need more than 8 ounces. Now I plan to go talk to the manager a local big rig truck tire shop that sells Michelin tires to see what his thoughts are regarding whether or not the tires may need to be dismounted, and remounted in a different position on each wheel, etc. So, if your tires have more than 12 ounces of weight, it doesn't sound like the centramatics have the capability to help...

Does anyone with size 365 tires recall how much weight is on their wheels?

jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2016, 08:56 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Why don't you just leave the weights on the wheels then add the cetramatics? Just put centramatics on mine and never bothered with the old weights.
BBelanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
Why don't you just leave the weights on the wheels then add the cetramatics? Just put centramatics on mine and never bothered with the old weights.
Hi Bill - I decided I wanted the centramatics because some of the 1/2 ounce stick-on weights on one tire fell off... I was hoping to be able to remove all weights on all tires and then go with the centramatics and never have to worry about spin balancing again. Not sure what the answer will be but perhaps your suggestion will be the only way - have tires re-spin balanced and afterward add the centramatics.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:45 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Hi Bill - I decided I wanted the centramatics because some of the 1/2 ounce stick-on weights on one tire fell off... I was hoping to be able to remove all weights on all tires and then go with the centramatics and never have to worry about spin balancing again. Not sure what the answer will be but perhaps your suggestion will be the only way - have tires re-spin balanced and afterward add the centramatics.
On our race cars we use the flat peel-and-stick lead weights, mounted to the back of the rims essentially in the center (side to side)...BUT to keep them from "unsticking" when the rims get hot from heavy braking and tire heat, we overlay aluminum foil tape (right off the hardware store shelf) over the weights. They will not fall off if taped over. I don't know how and where the Centramatics mount on the rims, but the balance weight system we use for the cars might be integrated as a starting point to allow the wheel end up within the Centramatics limits?
Johnidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I asked them that same question when I bought mine from them and they told me that the tire should be balanced prior to putting on the Centramatics and that if they had weights on them to leave them on. I did and no problems. So as long as you don't lose all the weight that they put on yours you should be fine.
Old 12-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #6

Thank you Randy. What is your impression on them? Could you tell any REAL difference(s)? Do you have them on all axles?
Old 12-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If nothing else balancing with weights might give an indication of tire condition. I just made my mind up about wether or not to balance the tire first which I will now have done.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Thank you Randy. What is your impression on them? Could you tell any REAL difference(s)? Do you have them on all axles?
Yes Jeff, I did notice a big difference. The reason I went with them originally was because I had a shake on the seat at 65 mph. What I didn't notice until after installing them was how different the steering wheel felt. Just a lot more solid if that makes sense. So I must have had a slight vibration on the steering, but focused more on the rears. Definitely one of the best improvements I've made on the coach. I have them on all three axles.
Old 12-17-2016, 05:16 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
Have the tires spin balanced. Install the Centramatics. Done. That's what I did and they are on their second set of tires. Smooth as silk at all speeds.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #10

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBelanger View Post
You cant use both. Well you can if you want to but they are two different options. Static weights balance the tire in a fixed position. Centramatics. balance in motion. The static weights will basically cancel out the centramatics therefore making them a waste of money.
82ndCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
This is just an FYI of something I had never read about on IRV2.

Had a more than 30 minute conversation today with Jerry, Centramatic tech support, to determine the model number needed for my wheels. I also wanted to know how many ounces of typical lead balancing weights the centramatics can off-set and that is where it got interesting.

Bottom line is the centramatics contain 12 ounces of balancing shot and one of my two 365 tires required 13 ounces during a spin balance about 1,500 miles ago when all my Alcoa wheels were replaced due to cosmetic manufacturing defects. (wheel surfaces were dirty, stained and not cleaned prior to sealing with the protective film). The other tire required 11 ounces. As a side note, I had my front tires balanced on its maiden voyage and at that time, one tire required 16 ounces of weight!

The centramatic tech stated he was surprised each took so much weight. His opinion was no tire, even 365's should not need more than 8 ounces. Now I plan to go talk to the manager a local big rig truck tire shop that sells Michelin tires to see what his thoughts are regarding whether or not the tires may need to be dismounted, and remounted in a different position on each wheel, etc. So, if your tires have more than 12 ounces of weight, it doesn't sound like the centramatics have the capability to help...

Does anyone with size 365 tires recall how much weight is on their wheels?

I would be pursuing a set of new Michelin's If I were you Jeff, after reading your posts and tire balancing problems.........

Tags
tires