Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #1
WTB

Changed Chassis Battery Slide Will Not Work

2005 Newmar Kountry Coach

I thought this would be so simple. I pulled my bedroom slide in so I would get to my chassis batteries to change.

I turned off shore power and then turned off my converter/inverter.

I disconnected negative then positive. I colored coded all the connections and made a diagram of what went where.

I removed the old chassis batteries and then installed the new. Made sure all the wires where connected correctly

Checked voltage and it is good

But now my slide will not go back out. The lock out arms come in but the slide motor will not run. I also no longer here the warning before the slide begins to move. I'm stuck. We live in this full time so really need to get the slide working.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could have happened and why and then how to fix it?

Thanks
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2020, 12:52 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Some pictures of the batteries and the wire connections would help us to spot any problems.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:56 PM   #3

Ok , you were changing chassis batteries , and the slide is on coach battery power . So the change should not have caused this .

The fact that the slide locks power up means that a section of the slide drive controller has power , no warning or movement of the slide ; I'm thinking internal issue with the controller.

Locate the slide drive controller , hopefully it's a stand alone for the bedroom and can be swapped out for the controller from another slide.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:22 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Will your engine start?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Carolina Campers
Spartan Chassis
This happens to mind sometimes and I toggle the slide switch a few times and also give the slide a helpful push from the inside and all normally works. Sometimes I have to give more than a nudge.

If this doesn't help check your fuses for the slide motors, probably in the bath.....or maybe your slide controller needs a tiny + adjustment with a small philips.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
WTB

Update. I checked and rechecked all of my connections. I followed everyone's suggestions as detailed above. Checked the fuses and they were good. Checked and rechecked voltage. Good.

Finally I called my go to mobile tech Jay who came out within the hour. He checked my connections. Checked voltage. Checked any number of other fuses, etc.

Then he said "Lets go in and try it and see what happens". He walks up to the switch, pushes it, and out goes the slide. Did it about four or five times after that with no issues.

We just looked at each other and started laughing. I've said it before and I'll say it again we have a ghost named HARVEY who lives with us and likes to mess with us from time to time.

So how much did Jay charge? Zero. You did the work he said, I just pushed the switch!
WTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 03:27 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Wow! We need more Jay's.

RB
Bushy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, chassis, slide