RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #1

American Coach Owners Club
Changed the fuel filter, won't start

I have a 2009 Essex with ISM 500HP. Change the fuel filter today, filled it with fresh fuel. Started and it ran for about 30 seconds and died. Can't figure out how to bleed the system. Can anyone assist me with my screw up?
Thanks in advance for any help.

FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I don't fill mine. I turn the key on and try cranking for 15 to 20 seconds at a time. Sometimes is will struggle and then continue to run. Just don't run the starter too long and let it cool between tries. I have changed about 20 ISM fuel filters and do this every time.

2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
I have a 2009 Essex with ISM 500HP. Change the fuel filter today, filled it with fresh fuel. Started and it ran for about 30 seconds and died. Can't figure out how to bleed the system. Can anyone assist me with my screw up?

I'm guessing that while the filter was off the fuel prime back to the fuel tank was lost. When you cranked up the engine, it ran off the fuel in the filter & then it quit. Try lowering the back of the coach on the jacks or conversely raise the front. The will get gravity working for you. Then take the cap off the fuel tank. If you have a compressor or shop vac with a rag to plug the filler neck, try to put positive air pressure on the tank. Then try turning the key to on for 10-20 seconds then off. Cycle this several times & then try to crank.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORTRIDER View Post
I suggest you look on quick serve.com and see what the maint manual says for your engine. I am not familiar with the ISM 500. Some of the cummins engines have a self-prime capability.....you turn the key to the 'on' (but not start) position, and after 30 secs turn it off.......wait....and then do it again....sometimes 5 or 6 cycles.

rich

Here is a part of an article I found online that might help.....

Bleeding An Electronic Diesel Fuel Injection System

Newer diesel engines went to an electric fuel transfer pump. As soon as you turn on the ignition key the pump kicks in and automatically primes the fuel system. Using the Cummins ISC diesel engine as and example, to prime you must fill the primary filter first with clean diesel fuel and install the secondary fuel filter dry. Once the ignition key is on the fuel transfer pump will prime the secondary filter with clean filtered fuel from the primary fuel filter.
patch-y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 04:48 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Turn the key on after changing the filter let it set like that for a minute or two than start it up that brings the fuel to the filfer. Then rev the rpm up to about 1500 for about 10 seconds than rev it up and down a few time this gets the air out of the system. Have done this a lot on semi's and JD equipment for the past 20 years works everytime
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #6

From all the Cummins seminars I have heard at FMCA rallies they say ISM engines do not have in tank fuel pump. Turning the key on without a intake electric pump isn't going to start the engine. I would loosen the fuel filter with a pan under it to see if it is full of fuel. If not refill with fuel and try again.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
There isn't a pump inside the tank it is with the injection pump
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:57 PM   #8

I will post this with the suspicion that you will not believe me, but if you try this it will work. I had a 2008 KSDP that I changed the fuel filters annually. Each time, I turned the ignition key about 10 times and for approximately 30 seconds. After doing that, I was able to start the engine each and every year. I mention this only to assure you that I have never had a problem changing fuel filters for 7 years.

I purchased a 2014 DSDP 2 years ago and the last two years had trouble after changing the filters. As instructed, I pre-filled one of the filters and install the water separator filter dry since there is a pump on the filter housing (Freightliner chassis). Both in 2015 and now in 2016, I cycled the ignition key on about ten times and both times the engine refused to start. I called Freightliner last year who recommended a mobile service company since they had no suggestions and I was out of ideas.

Here is what you may not believe. When the service guy arrived, he asked what was wrong, pulled out a can of WD-40, climbed the rear ladder and instructed me to go start the engine. It started immediately and kept running. Needless to say, I was extremely happy and just as much intrigued with what he did. He used the WD-40 as starting fluid and squirted it down the intake chute leading into the filter. I had the same problem again this year and with the assistance of my wife, I squirted the WD-40 down the intake chute and my wife immediately started the engine.

Pretty unbelievable but VERY true. The service guy indicated that he has used this method many many times and it always works. He reminded me that we should never use starting fluid, rather only use the WD-40 which is much less volatile.

Like I said, you probably are not going to believe me but I swear it is true. If it doesn't work for you, perhaps others can benefit from such a simple solution. If only I could determine why this new coach will not start after changing the filters!!!
Old 06-12-2016, 07:51 PM   #9

We, in the deisel business have been using WD40 forever.

A little too much starting fluid in the old Cats and they locked up.

I believe you.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 03:39 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Smile It runs

It runs. Thanks to all you guys and Spartan. Removed the filter again and refilled. Brought the batteries to a full charge, held the throttle to about 1/2-3/4 and away we go. Held the throttle until it cleared up and runs great.
Thanks for having such a great forum and all the replies.
Also got signed up for Spartan workshop at Newmar International in Pueblo. Hope to see many of you there.
FORTRIDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 06:52 PM   #11

WD-40 will work to start your engine, I've used it for years to start stubborn chain saws and lawn mowers, but I'd be a little hesitant to start my motorhome with it for fear of coating and gumming up the air filter. WD-40 is an oily dust magnet. Any other thoughts on that?
I always just fill the filter. No problem.

Tags
fuel