Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #85

Newmar Owners Club
2017 King Aire changes

My salesman via Newmar sent me a new 2017 Chassis Spec Sheet for the King Aire which changes some of the info previously given to me so am posting it to be fair. The 2017 will keep the 200 gallon gas tank, the 60" front Bilstein shocks, and the 350 alternator.

Thanks as that fixes SOME of the changes shortcomings.

Also still raises this question as seen on several forums emails esp the private ones between King Aire owners: (best worded representative private msg)

..." I am really disappointed they would drop the K3GT chassis from the King Aire. That chassis is by far the main reason I selected this particular coach! I wonder what the reaction will be from future buyers?"
"I am also curious as to the new MSRP - one would expect a major reduction since its premium price was driven largely from the chassis. Ken Williamson took me through the chassis shop at Newmar on one of my visits, and seeing the K3GT bare chassis sitting next to a K3 was night and day. Absolutely no comparison in my opinion to the structural integrity differences between the two."

4 King Aire owners (3 of them multiple King Aires) sent me almost the same exact private message. MSRP in 2016 KA vs 2016 Essex base was 180k difference. What is going to demand the higher price if the KA now uses the same chassis and has the same towing capacity? Almost all of the uniqueness that demanded a higher price is now gone.

J
J
John U is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2016, 08:47 AM   #86

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Do you suppose that newmar believes that they are building a better chassis with STAR than the K3GT?

Assuming that is the case, then they must be building different levels of STAR.

STAR Level 1 - DSDP,MADP, LADB
STAR Level 2 - ESSEX, KADB

I have seen NOTHING that indicates this, just trying to figure out why they would put the exact same "chassis" on the different lines of coaches.

The loss of K3GT seems huge, and I am sure that another MFG will pickup on it. I believe the REALM is currently using it, and it would make sense for cornerstone to grab it.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:50 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by John U View Post
2017 King Aire changes

What is going to demand the higher price if the KA now uses the same chassis and has the same towing capacity? Almost all of the uniqueness that demanded a higher price is now gone.
The Silverleaf dash!!

As another King Aire owner I too am higher disappointed about them downgrading the chassis on the KGDB.

Sue
Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 AM   #88

I think Redbaron has the correct answer. Primary difference for the K3GT was the box frame system underneath. With the Star Frame from 2016 likely Newmar has achieved the same structural requirements that they needed.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:38 AM   #89

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by saydiver View Post
The Silverleaf dash!!

As another King Aire owner I too am higher disappointed about them downgrading the chassis on the KGDB.

Sue
Sue

Factory install as a retrofit dash on my 2014 KA is only $ 6,500 incl. parts, labor, airfare and hotel. Long way to go to get to 180K. Was cheaper than I thought it would be. Good people Silverleaf!

J
Old 04-07-2016, 09:39 AM   #90

Monaco Owners Club
I want to thank you all for the 2017 info!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:55 AM   #91

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John U View Post
Sue

Factory install as a retrofit dash on my 2014 KA is only $ 6,500 incl. parts, labor, airfare and hotel. Long way to go to get to 180K. Was cheaper than I thought it would be. Good people Silverleaf!

J
Sue,

Have 2 pics of recent KA dashes they did but have been unable to get them posted here. Will try again when I return this evening. Sorry,

J
Old 04-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #92

You still loose height in bays which is important to me.
drdonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:23 AM   #93

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drdonny View Post
You still loose height in bays which is important to me.
That is something that I am trying to verify.

In theory, they should be able to keep the taller bay heights if they have a variance to the STAR chassis between the K3 - Essex & K3-KADB.

I have not seen the new K3 KADB, so I am unclear if the STAR is upgraded/different from the Essex.

If Newmar is trying to simplify the product line by making later decisions on KADB vs Essex, and they are able to then take the chassis and make the equivalent of the K3GT, then they are headed in the right direction IMHO.

One thing that seems to indicate that my theory is wrong is the downsize of the water capacity. Its only 35 gals, but was this to shave weight? Was it because of other engineering space requirements?

If they bay door height is brought down to Essex, I think that is a very hard sell going forward for a KADB, unless the price is dropped by $100k, which I DO NOT SEE HAPPENING!
Old 04-07-2016, 10:31 AM   #94

Anyone know when we'll be able to see the floorplans?
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #95

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Anyone know when we'll be able to see the floorplans?
I should have all price sheets tomorrow afternoon.

I am personally trying to decide between a 17 DSDP 4369 and a 17 LADP(B?)

The new Valid active air is a big sell point for me. I have already verified that HWH will install the active air on the 17 DSDP, but I have not found out if newmar will option the Valid on the DSDP. My guess is NO. Even so, it is only a $12k retail option for HWH active air.
Old 04-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #96

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I've got a friend that was told by a salesperson that the 2017 DSDP4369 on a Spartan chassis has a 19K front axle. Interesting if true.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel4Work View Post
I agree with you both. Frankly, I'm not convinced that the 4GPM water pump would provide satisfactory pressure two both showers at the same time (and would the Oasis keep up with hot water with the necessary temperature rise?), so I suspect most would find that they wouldn't shower at the same time anyway.

Entegra has a bath and a half Aspire bunk model, but it doesn't look like there is a way to close the bunk area from the living area. Plus I don't like the shower in the mid-bath either. Aside from the Realm's two bath model, the Georgetown has a gas Class A (364TS I think) that is two

For me, the plus of having two full baths is not the (slight) possibility of simultaneous showers, but rather the ability to have a permanent full service "kids bathroom" and avoid having their shower equipment, towels, dirty clothes and swim suits and such coming in and out "mom and dad's bathroom." With a couple of messy pre-teens as travel partners, not sharing a bathroom would be a significant plus.

On the other hand, of course, it's all about trade offs. Is there still enough pantry and kitchen space? Too bad it seems to eliminate the King bed option, etc. I would have to see it in person to get a feel for whether the second shower is worth it, or whether a bath-and-a-half is the sweet spot.

In the Aspire 44R bunk model, Entegra has a clever way of combining the second couch and the dinette into a single C-shaped unit, and thereby create some "extra" room for the bunks and not lose so much pantry or kitchen space.

Mike
2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1

2013 Thor Palazzo 36.1
M Bakunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:13 PM   #98

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I've got a friend that was told by a salesperson that the 2017 DSDP4369 on a Spartan chassis has a 19K front axle. Interesting if true.

I too have been told the same, but they have not actually made one yet.