Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Changing brand of engine oil?

I know that all of us favor one brand of oil over all others. Mine is valvoline. I was looking at Sam's club and noticed they carry Mobil oil for diesel. It's a pretty significant savings if I was to switch. It's $34 a case for 4 gallons. I change oil yearly regardless of miles. Would this be a bad thing to do? Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210509-123841.jpeg
Views:	26
Size:	29.2 KB
ID:	327774
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2021, 02:02 PM   #2

As long as the oil meets your engine requirements you should be good to go!
My last oil change was with Costco brand diesel oil.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #3

Personally I don't think there is a hill of beans worth of difference between the major brands of oil so long as the oil meets your motor's spec. The biggest difference is between conventional oil and synthetic oil. I know a number of high performance engine builders and all of them use full synthetic oil. I take their advice. Good oil is cheap insurance for expensive engine damage. Your coach, your call.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 02:38 PM   #4

Mobil Delvac brand (in oil and other fluids for diesels) is a well known and trusted brand. I happen to use Rotella T5 synthetic blend in mine (use the same in my genset), but wouldn't hesitate to use Delvac. As others have said, as long as it meets the specs, you're good to go.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
When I was a teen, I worked in a automotive repair shop. Both the other mechanic and I would do oil changes and let the cans drip into a large container for a several days after we emptied them. By the time either of us needed to do an oil change on our own car, we had enough "Heinz 57" oil for the job. Never an issue.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcaguy View Post
Personally I don't think there is a hill of beans worth of difference between the major brands of oil so long as the oil meets your motor's spec. The biggest difference is between conventional oil and synthetic oil. I know a number of high performance engine builders and all of them use full synthetic oil. I take their advice. Good oil is cheap insurance for expensive engine damage. Your coach, your call.
This pretty much covers it. All oil sold today has to meet certain SAE specs. for the use it's intended for. The difference is about as important as the difference between a blonde, brunette or redhead. The package might look different but they are all the same on the inside.
I would recommend you change your oil more often than wives or girlfriends though. It's a lot cheaper.
Old 05-09-2021, 04:48 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. Going to switch over to the Mobil. Keep a little change in my pocket.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:19 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for the heads up on the oil. Very good price. I use to use that oil, but my son scored a bunch of very low price oil when fram bought shelf space at an auto parts store. Im just about out of oil.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
When I was a teen, I worked in a automotive repair shop. Both the other mechanic and I would do oil changes and let the cans drip into a large container for a several days after we emptied them. By the time either of us needed to do an oil change on our own car, we had enough "Heinz 57" oil for the job. Never an issue.
My brothers and I used to do the very same thing back in the 60's!!! Even after all these years I still have to clean the windshield after a fill up!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 07:19 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
LOL, that brings back memories!

Station I worked at had a oil trough as well. Back in the days when you opened a can of oil with a can opener.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:24 PM   #11

I use the cheapest oil at walmart because the least expensive oil now is better than what was available 20 years ago when my coach was built
tomgrigsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:37 PM   #12

I'm not very particular about oil brands. One thing I do like about Mobil is that they publish a list of exactly what specifications and approvals their various engine oil actually meet. Clearly. In writing, no messing about. It's called the "Mobil Oil Product Guide". I'd link to it, but it always comes up as a PDF document you have to download to read.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine