Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2019, 04:16 PM   #57

We have Direct

We have direct and the only issue we encounter is if idle for 30 days I must go to the app and have a refresh sent. Fixes problems and I get local channels from home not where I am at. I use the over the air antenna for local channels of the location. No need to call!
fletchfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2019, 04:17 PM   #58

AT&T - Direct TV

If I have another problem with Direct TV, I will just switch to Dish. There seem to be virtually nothing but MORONS, whose first language is not English, working at AT&T. If Dish is not an option, I will just shoot myself rather than deal with AT&T again!
TXWinne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:22 PM   #59

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLJOE View Post
Last year a couple forums were full of treads about DirecTV (AT&T) not switching over RVers service address while traveling. Most RV customers would get different answers from DirecTV but the bottom line was they either could not get their local stations while traveling or it took days and days to accomplish what used to take 3 minutes on the phone.

We simply started using our local antenna and haven't switched all summer. When we return to our Florida area for the winter we will once again have our local channels. Our hope was that DirecTV would get this all corrected by now.

There was a recent post my DW read on FB that said a DirecTV tech told an RVers that when they called for service location change they should ask for the "movers department, and say they were "snowbirds" traveling and needed a temporary service location change.

My personal experience with folks answering the phone at DirecTV is that 90% of them wouldn't know what an RV was let alone what a snowbird was. But we may give this a call since the person posting this said they had done it three times now with no issues.
I was told the same thing, ask for the movers Dept you keep your billing address the same but you have a temporary service address of where you’re at in the summer or the winter works for us
Bill2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:26 PM   #60

Ref direct now AT&T

After 3 days and 9 hours on the phone with them. We switched to dish and have not had any issue getting the local channels where we are parked. We were told at&t won't let you do that any more.
hollisdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:30 PM   #61

Changing satellite addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig36 View Post
We use dish on the road and have to call in to reactivate our receiver after it has been power off for over 30 days.

We just call the 800 number and go to tech support. Tell them to activate your receiver at your current location. They will rattle off all kinds of "did you do this or that". Interrupt their suggestions, and just tell them to send the activation code. They don't need an address. Usually takes about 10 min for your receiver to reactivate and load the full TV guide.

We rarely watch the local channels, but if you give tech support your zip code, they can change those to local where you are camped.

I have never waited more than 10 minutes to get tech support, usually only a couple.

Good luck!
Get the app online and do it all yourself without the delays.
Hwy Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:33 PM   #62

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
I heard Direct was discontinuing that service. They want you to use either the east coast or the west coast but nothing in between. There seems to be an RV user exodus from Direct since they became affiliated with AT&T. I suggest you use your roof antenna for accessing your locals.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:35 PM   #63

Winnebago Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to Yoders2Go
We are full time and VERY happy with DISHTV.
Yoders2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 04:49 PM   #64

I have Dish and change service address using chat and it takes about 3 minutes.

All the years of Direct it was a tedious phone call. 5th year now with Dish.
RR
rrodda1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #65

Tiffin Owners Club
I used this site to help to research which would be best to have Direct Tv or dish and after reading the horror stories about Direct tv I went with Dish. I also downloaded their app on my phone and after changing locations I change Dish to pull in the local stations without ever having to call anyone and usually have it done in about five minutes. Lastly AT&T is contemplating on selling off Direct Tv.
gogetter20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #66

Changing satellite address

We also have direct tv/ AT&T. When we travel in the western US (We reside in San Diego) we will change our address temporarily to a west coast location (usually a campground)& that process with Direct has been smooth. Even in Texas we were able to get west coast (LA) channels.
Bacher1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 05:50 PM   #67

DIRECTV broadcasts NYC and LA; ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC all over the country. Tell DIRECTV your service address is:

Liberty Harbor RV Park
11 Marin Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07302

With that change you will get those 4 NYC channels wherever you are. You won't get the other local NYC stations nor will you get the local stations where you are presently located.
HOWEVER, you won't have to call in again if you can live with that arrangement. We use OTA or park cable if we want to get the local broadcasts.
wjijr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:10 PM   #68

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
DirecTv/AT&T no longer lets you change your service address to get local channels. I have done that for many years--but no longer an option.
Old 10-24-2019, 06:25 PM   #69

Call DirecTV tech support

We use DirecTV and frequently change our service address while traveling (as recently as a few days ago). I’ve never been unsuccessful, although it sometimes can take a while (30 mins or so). I only call DirecTV tech support though, never AT&T support. The number I use is 888-333-0738. I simply tell them I’m traveling in my motorhome and need to change my service address. They need your physical address (the campground address) and sometimes the county. It certainly seems their process is pretty cumbersome given how much time I can spend on hold while they work the system, but in the end they’ve always succeeded.
gregwerth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 06:37 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjijr View Post
DIRECTV broadcasts NYC and LA; ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC all over the country. Tell DIRECTV your service address is:

Liberty Harbor RV Park
11 Marin Blvd
Jersey City, NJ 07302

With that change you will get those 4 NYC channels wherever you are. You won't get the other local NYC stations nor will you get the local stations where you are presently located.
HOWEVER, you won't have to call in again if you can live with that arrangement. We use OTA or park cable if we want to get the local broadcasts.
Same as if you had East coast DNS only doesn’t cost $15 month.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite