Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2021, 09:30 AM   #1

Changing Televator TV

I have a 2016 DS 4369.

The TV on my Televator just went blank, it has sound, but no picture.

What is anyone's experience in changing out that TV if I cannot make it work again ?

Thanks for any input from this awesome group !!!

Cheers,

Curt
flyingcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2021, 09:47 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Need more information. How is your TV connected? To a receiver? What input is the TV set to? IS it OTA Antenna, satellite, or cable? Most likely your TV is fine but the HDMI input isn't selected correctly?
Carefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:11 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carefree View Post
Need more information. How is your TV connected? To a receiver? What input is the TV set to? IS it OTA Antenna, satellite, or cable? Most likely your TV is fine but the HDMI input isn't selected correctly?
Just a little more info- I was watching the TV and the screen went blank (just a little glow only), still have the audio, just no picture.

None of the settings have been changed. I have turned it on and off, run the televator up and down hoping that would help. My other TV (in the front) works fine that is tied to this TV, we are connected directly to Dish. This is an isolated problem to just this TV, sound, but no picture.
Old 12-02-2021, 10:17 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We had a TV go dead in the old Sticks and Bricks. I called the TV support line and they had me shine a flashlight at as close to flat angle (oblique) as I could. I could see a picture. The tech said one of the backlight boards was out.

It could be repaired, but he said it was cheaper to just replace the TV.
Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steele View Post
We had a TV go dead in the old Sticks and Bricks. I called the TV support line and they had me shine a flashlight at as close to flat angle (oblique) as I could. I could see a picture. The tech said one of the backlight boards was out.

It could be repaired, but he said it was cheaper to just replace the TV.
I think I will need to change it out and hoping that someone on this forum has done this before with some guidance on the process and experience
Old 12-02-2021, 08:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcash View Post
I think I will need to change it out and hoping that someone on this forum has done this before with some guidance on the process and experience

Here is a thread from a couple of months back that may assist you.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/rep...ml#post5831202
ftharrisiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingcash View Post
I have a 2016 DS 4369.

The TV on my Televator just went blank, it has sound, but no picture.

What is anyone's experience in changing out that TV if I cannot make it work again ?

Thanks for any input from this awesome group !!!

Cheers,

Curt

One tip would be to remove the screens on the windows behind the televator to access the screws that bolt the tv to the televator. Use the up and down switch for the televator to jockey the tv so the screws line up in front of the window opening then access the back of the tv from outside while a helper holds the tv inside.

2016 DSDP 4369, Freightliner Chassis, AF One brake system, 2016 Chevy Equinox
Tigerfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I just had to do this with my 49 Sony. The tv had a bad mother board. I have a 2019, but the tv was out of warranty - cheaper/easier to replace. I was doing the project myself so for ease I chose another 49 Sony. So it it just became a swap type project. With everything being basically the same it was still a time consuming project because its so awkward to work on. Nothing too difficult except for trying to make an old body bend in certain angles.
chipmulgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:13 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently had to change out the 55" main TV in ours. I don't know how yours is mounted, but ours was mounted on a plate that set down into grooves on the televator. It was in there tight and had to lift pretty hard but it came up. Don't make the mistake I made with my first attempt at replacement. I carefully measured the width and height to make sure it would work but overlooked the thickness or depth of the new TV. That one was about 1/2" too thick to go down in the cabinet so had to return it for a thinner one.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 06:56 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Before you start down the road to replace this TV have you checked the HDMI matrix module that distributes HDMI signals throughout your coach? Under your kitchen sink on the outermost wall you should see two modules powered by 110vac…..Since you have audio, one of your matrix modules could have failed….
Old 12-05-2021, 08:03 PM   #11

Looks like it's time for another TV. I had a very similar problem last spring, and they're made so cheap these days that Flyingcash is correct... not worth fixing... You'll be money ahead to just go buy a new one.....
Old 12-06-2021, 12:21 PM   #12

One word of caution here - make sure the new TV is not too "thick". If the new one's depth is more than your old one, it may have issues going up and down. It might contact the cabinet on the way down or may just be too big to make it down into the opening.

You could ask me how I know this, but I might have to fess up that I checked (carefully) all the dimensions, weight etc. but forgot to check how the depth (thickness) of the new TV compared to the old TV. Didn't notice until I had it all connected.
X-OEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 12:04 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
I just had to straighten a bent support for the TV with my televator not going down and being stuck on a bent support. Did not remove the window. It is tight back there and a limber person (much younger than me) helped out. My TV sits on a horizontal bar with a groove that allows hinging it into the televator support. Two bolts higher up hold the TV in place. It would come off easily. Beware of the wire loops behind and below one of the is a clip in for the televator control and hard to put back once you have the TV in place.
Get a young helper and good luck.
mahdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerfan1 View Post
One tip would be to remove the screens on the windows behind the televator to access the screws that bolt the tv to the televator. Use the up and down switch for the televator to jockey the tv so the screws line up in front of the window opening then access the back of the tv from outside while a helper holds the tv inside.
This is a great idea, I would like to think I would have figured it out eventually, but knowing it ahead of time is awesome. Different than the original post, I need to move my TV up about two inches to clear the back of the sofa. Removing the TV to lessen the weight on things might be helpful while I figure out new mounting options.
lrwinddancer is offline   Reply With Quote