Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2021, 07:10 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Changing the belt on my 10K generator.

Noticed that I'm coming up on a required belt change. Got the belt in today. Was looking for the location and found it on the back side of the generator. I can't figure out how to get access to it. Looking like a pretty big job. Have 2 questions. One, has anyone done there's and if you have can you tell me the steps to do it? Second, has anyone had Cummins do it and what was the cost?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Here you go

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/ona...nt-395727.html

I have no idea what someone would charge to change the belt. Be sure to check all other hoses while you are in there - and maybe even replace the thermostat and gasket if so inclined. I'm a believer in prevention!

The listed thread is by Steve, and he is THE BEST - super, super helpful and a ton of knowledge both Newmar and general RV.

The job is a little dirty but not like other under-chassis stuff. Tedious but not difficult; there are a lot of 10mm bolts to undo to remove the panels, and then juggling them back in place to line up before replacing bolts takes some patience. (just my comments in addition to his excellent posting!)

Best of Luck -
John
Towing 2006 Honda CR-V
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:40 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
What timing. I just completed my belt change on the same unit. Letís see if I can remember the steps
1. Remove the top cover. The large one with the small cover in the middle of it by removing all of the screws around the periphery. Pry up the rear then side it towards the back
2. Remove the rear side cover that wraps around the drivers side by removing the vertices screws on the drivers side and all of the screws around the bottom. The bottom screws are actually at the top of the black base. You will have to crawl under and behind the generator. Once all of the screws are out you have to work this cover up as it goes down behind the black base. I used a screwdriver between the side cover and the black base the turned it. Work back and forth
3. Once the cover is removed you remove the 4 bolts that hold the squirrel cage fan on from the rear. You donít have to remove the fan. You just need to be able to move it enough to remove the old belt and get the new one in around it
4. Once the covers are off you will see the slotted bracket on the alternator from the top. Loosen the bolt and then find the second bolt under the alternator coming in from the rear and loosen this one also to allow the alternator to move
4. Now you can move the alternator to loosen the belt to remove it.
5. Reverse the sequence once the new belt is in place.

Hope it all makes sense. Hopefully I didnít forget something. Itís really not that bad of a job. Removing and reinstalling that rear cover is the most painful part.

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chargerman View Post
What timing. I just completed my belt change on the same unit. Letís see if I can remember the steps
1. Remove the top cover. The large one with the small cover in the middle of it by removing all of the screws around the periphery. Pry up the rear then side it towards the back
2. Remove the rear side cover that wraps around the drivers side by removing the vertices screws on the drivers side and all of the screws around the bottom. The bottom screws are actually at the top of the black base. You will have to crawl under and behind the generator. Once all of the screws are out you have to work this cover up as it goes down behind the black base. I used a screwdriver between the side cover and the black base the turned it. Work back and forth
3. Once the cover is removed you remove the 4 bolts that hold the squirrel cage fan on from the rear. You donít have to remove the fan. You just need to be able to move it enough to remove the old belt and get the new one in around it
4. Once the covers are off you will see the slotted bracket on the alternator from the top. Loosen the bolt and then find the second bolt under the alternator coming in from the rear and loosen this one also to allow the alternator to move
4. Now you can move the alternator to loosen the belt to remove it.
5. Reverse the sequence once the new belt is in place.

Hope it all makes sense. Hopefully I didnít forget something. Itís really not that bad of a job. Removing and reinstalling that rear cover is the most painful part.

Good luck!
Thanks. Was looking at the back side of mine this evening and couldn't see where the back panel would come off because there was no break on the drivers side it was wrapt around the corner and kept going. You answered that question for me so I will probably do this myself. Probably double the time it took you but I have all day and the next or more. Lol
Old 09-22-2021, 08:05 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
While crawling around underneath I noticed the radiator in front on the bottom was pretty dirty. Didn't see a way of cleaning it fron the inside with water hose. Should I just spray it from the underside and hope for the best?
Old 09-22-2021, 08:53 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Did you adjust the valve lashing too? This is called for at 800hr intervals. I skipped this on my 2013 as the engine was running normal.
redbaron73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbaron73 View Post
Did you adjust the valve lashing too? This is called for at 800hr intervals. I skipped this on my 2013 as the engine was running normal.
I have not. I'm not even sure what that is. I will have to read up on it. My Gen is running normal as well.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:31 AM   #8

Have done this myself. MANY 10mm bolts. Take your time and don't lose any, reassembly is a pia. You can do it.

2000 Monaco Executive. 350 Cummins.
Fast E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 01:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I started this morning at 9 and finished at 2. I will say that chargerman instructions were very helpful. The only difference was my belt went to the water pump I believe. There is no tensioner so you have to remove the 4 bolts holding the pulley that the belt runs on. This is on the top pump. Then you have to align the holes up when reinstalling blindly. I am glad I went ahead and replaced the belt, the old one was about done. I also learned from cummins that there are 2 types of generators for this model, a spec A and a spec B. Mine was the B and the belts are different for each. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210924_190212046.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	344057
Old 09-29-2021, 05:40 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats! Glad you had a successful outcome. My belt also ran the water pump as I would think most all would. I canít imagine that there isnít an adjustment for belt tension. Would you mind sharing your model number. Would like to take a look at a drawing to see what it looks like
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:43 AM   #11
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Too late but did you replace any other components? Was this a 1000 hr service?

When doing mine at 1000 hrs I think I changed the thermostat, coolant, new glow plugs etc. Can't remember precisely but it is in the manuals.
2016 Ford F150 Limited V6 with Ready Brake
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator