Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-06-2022, 12:49 PM   #1

Changing whole house water filter element

As I am navigating the water sanitizing process, I have a question about the whole house water filter that is in the water bay. I started to loosen it just to make sure I could get it loose. Water started to come out when I got it loosened. Then I quickly tightened it because I didn't know if all 30 to 40 gallons that I think are currently in the 100 gallon tank would keep gushing out into the water bay.

So the question:

If I loosen and remove the cannister, will all the water flow out? In which I would have to wait until I drain the tank before I change the element?

Thank you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-06-2022, 12:53 PM   #2

Be sure you aren't hooked up to city water pressure, or have your onboard pump ON. Open a valve to release any pressure in the lines. A little water may leak out as you unscrew it, but that's all.
Old 08-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Open the outside water bay faucet, some water should come out then stop, as long as your pump is NOT on and you're not hooked up to City water. It will take the pressure off the filter and allow you to change it.
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #4

filter

Great. Quick and very helpful responses

Thank you folks
Old 08-06-2022, 01:20 PM   #5

Your whole house filter is mounted higher than the water tank to prevent that. As already stated, just make sure the lines aren't pressurized and very little water will come out when you remove it.
Old 08-06-2022, 04:42 PM   #6
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is also a red button on top of the housing that releases the water pressure. Don't go crazy with too fine a filter or you'll lose water pressure.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:40 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Dutch Star Don, Do mind sharing the filter you use? We are new to the life and I was concerned that the wrong filter will reduce water pressure considerably.
jarodawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 09:03 AM   #8

I am reading and rereading the manual and have watched enough youtube that I'm expecting them to charge me rental. All of this and the forum are very helpful

What I seem to be missing are instructions about when to replace the filter cartridge during the sanitizing process which I hope to do today.

Options I have considered include:
Before draining the tank
Taking the cartridge out until I drain the bleach water
Leaving the cartridge in during the bleaching of the system
and others I am forgetting now.

I'm open for direction from those who have done this

The other thing that just came up in the thread was using a filter that won't reduce water pressure. I never even thought about that. I just got on line and ordered cartridges from the company that makes the filter. I don't recall any options

Thank you
Old 08-07-2022, 09:22 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonTravel View Post
I am reading and rereading the manual and have watched enough youtube that I'm expecting them to charge me rental. All of this and the forum are very helpful

What I seem to be missing are instructions about when to replace the filter cartridge during the sanitizing process which I hope to do today.

Options I have considered include:
Before draining the tank
Taking the cartridge out until I drain the bleach water
Leaving the cartridge in during the bleaching of the system
and others I am forgetting now.

I'm open for direction from those who have done this

The other thing that just came up in the thread was using a filter that won't reduce water pressure. I never even thought about that. I just got on line and ordered cartridges from the company that makes the filter. I don't recall any options

Thank you
Remove your cartridge first before you begin with your sanitizing process.

I use a better than normal whole house filter in my coach that I replace every 6 months. Many here use many different filters or combinations of them as well.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Dutchstar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:30 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi David - As stated above remove the filter before you start and put it back after you finish with the chlorine. Chlorine in high concentrations can damage the filter. The standard general purpose filter is a carbon block filter rated at 5 microns like a #8 filter. Smaller than 5 microns can restrict flow although there are some more expensive filters at micron ratings smaller than 5 can be found that will not restrict the flow.

Tom
Old 08-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarodawa View Post
Dutch Star Don, Do mind sharing the filter you use? We are new to the life and I was concerned that the wrong filter will reduce water pressure considerably.
I use these from Home Depot. When I'm in there I'll grab a two pack. I change mine about every six months depending on much I use the RV.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Unive...XWTC/100034332
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 10:19 PM   #12

sanitize

Success.
It took a long time, but I finished the sanitizing process including new whole house and under kitchen sink filter cartridges.

I really appreciate the advice and direction from the forum.

David

Tags
element, water