RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2018, 10:55 AM   #1

Charge Bridge Solenoid Help

I was going to change out a bad charge bridge solenoid on my 2017 LADP. I have the solenoid and gathered all tools required. I am a logical person, but this is beyond reason. My problem was I could never kill 12VDC to the solenoid. I accomplished the following steps and kept checking the voltage before proceeding to the next step, not wanting to do more than I needed to do. I turned off the disconnect switch for chassis batteries, turned off the battery disconnect switch by the door, disconnected shore power, turned off the inverter on the Silverleaf panel, disconnected the negative and positive cables from the chassis batteries, disconnected the negative and positive cables from the house batteries and I still had 12VDC to one side of the solenoid. I had no indication of power on the Silverleaf or power on any coach systems, but still could not kill power to the solenoid. Anybody out there with an idea of what I missed?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Solar panels?

DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:02 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFitz View Post
Solar panels?
I suppose that could be. is there a disconnect somewhere?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

I had a similar problem on my old DS. So I'm not sure if this is your issue.
The roof mounted solar panel for maintaining the chassis batteries was wired to a fuse panel and not directly to the batteries . So even with batteries disconnected , a voltmeter showed power, but at very low amps, test light barely glowed.
The solution to the power showing up when testing was to find and pull the solar fuse from the panel.
If you do have a solar panel and can't find a fuse, cover the panel .

EDIT: I see someone posted same info while I was typing , sorry for the duplication.
Old 09-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
When I wanted to kill my solar I just threw a dark tarp over the panels...
Depending on how comfortable you are, you could change the solenoid with 'power ON'. It's low voltage - just plan carefully where your wrenches hit!
DFitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:40 AM   #6

Some... my VTDP has a chassis disconnect sw on pos term but also has a bypass to keep the ECM powered. FL said to disconnect Neg first if disconnecting chassis batty.
Same w house... there are some live circuits with the disconnect activated. Magnum says to disconnect Pos first for their inverter /charger or risk damage to the unit.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If solar there should be a disconnect to the batteries. And it should be in the battery compartment and labeled as such. But often is not...
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 01:40 PM   #8

Change the solenoid at night.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 02:40 PM   #9

This is about the solenoid and the silverleaf. I had been thinking since I had the failure of the fan into the radiator, that the house batteries were not charging from the engine alternator. I checked yesterday with the multi meter and it did show that the house batteries were charging. Also on the silverleaf it showed that it was charging by the volts indicator . Now this is the question. On the silverleaf when the gen and shore power on the second page of DC where it shows the picture of the battery and the inverter there is arrows that showed the direction of the charge from the inverter to the house batteries they are going the right direction.but on the engine it shows the arrows from the batteries to the inverter. Is this correct. I know that the voltage has to be below 12.5 on the house batteries for the silverleaf to tell that the solenoid to send the charge to the house batteries. It just seems that when it is charging it should show the arrows going from the inverter.
Since the fan frame damage that drive shaft tore up a bunch of stuff close to the alternator I guess I’m now paranoid about the damage. Thanks in advance
Old 09-02-2018, 03:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smosher View Post
This is about the solenoid and the silverleaf. I had been thinking since I had the failure of the fan into the radiator, that the house batteries were not charging from the engine alternator. I checked yesterday with the multi meter and it did show that the house batteries were charging. Also on the silverleaf it showed that it was charging by the volts indicator . Now this is the question. On the silverleaf when the gen and shore power on the second page of DC where it shows the picture of the battery and the inverter there is arrows that showed the direction of the charge from the inverter to the house batteries they are going the right direction.but on the engine it shows the arrows from the batteries to the inverter. Is this correct. I know that the voltage has to be below 12.5 on the house batteries for the silverleaf to tell that the solenoid to send the charge to the house batteries. It just seems that when it is charging it should show the arrows going from the inverter.
Since the fan frame damage that drive shaft tore up a bunch of stuff close to the alternator I guess Im now paranoid about the damage. Thanks in advance
Steve,
The Silver Leaf system at times can provide us with important information. Currently my charge bridge solenoid will not latch while on shore power when the chassis batteries fall below the 12.85 default setting and it will not latch when operating the engine so it doesn't charge the house batteries if they fall below the 12.5 default value. I have lightning bolt displayed but voltages are different. If I tap on the solenoid both voltages read the same.
As I understand your question, when not connected to shore power or generator, your display should show the arrows going from the battery to the inverter. The way you know if the alternator is charging both the chassis batteries and the house batteries is your DC voltages on the home page will read the same with the lightning bolt displayed. So I think you are operating correctly. If this makes sense let me know if I am following you correctly.

Wayne
Old 09-02-2018, 03:52 PM   #11

Thanks for the information everything is working ok you was following me correctly but I don’t understand why the arrows are going from the inverter when the gen and shore powered are working and the arrows are going from the batteries toward the inverter seems they would be both going the same direction
Mine had a 5 amp fuse do you have the same fuse coming within 6 inches of the solenoid. Inline in a rubber holder
Old 09-02-2018, 05:20 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks for the information everything is working ok you was following me correctly but I dont understand why the arrows are going from the inverter when the gen and shore powered are working and the arrows are going from the batteries toward the inverter seems they would be both going the same direction
Mine had a 5 amp fuse do you have the same fuse coming within 6 inches of the solenoid. Inline in a rubber holder
When on shore or generator, the charger/inverter is replenishing the house batteries and if the lightning bolt is displayed and both DC voltages are the same, then both battery banks are being charged. You are seeing the arrows going from the batteries to the inverter when not on shore or generator because the batteries are providing power for the inverter to provide 120VAC to the coach. The engine alternator is still charging the house and chassis batteries if the DC voltages are the same for each. Driving down the road my chassis batteries show 13.8 - 14.3 and the house batteries should show same or close. Since the charge bridge solenoid is not latching, my house batteries do not get recharged and show mid to low 12VDC.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #13

Thanks Wayne. That makes sense. Where did you get your new solenoid. Did you find your fuse
Old 09-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks Wayne. That makes sense. Where did you get your new solenoid. Did you find your fuse
Newmar sent me the solenoid, although they sent the battery disconnect solenoid first. I had to wait another 5 days for the charge bridge solenoid. I guess I will have Newmar change it next week if they can work it into schedule. I found a small inline fuse on the house battery side of solenoid, but don't think that would be the solar panel.

Tags
solenoid