Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Charging Issue - TM102 Module

Having a problem with the dreaded TM102 Silverleaf module on my 2017 MA. FYI hooked up to 50 amp 24.7. I also know next to nothing about electrical systems...

Every few days it reports the house batts as being at zero (thus shutting down the charger) despite there being plenty of power. This could have been going on for over a month. I was told by Newmar to reset the TM102 and then the house batts show ~14v. . So I need to pull the TM102 and send that back to Silverleaf. Fair enough.

However, the chassis batteries are new too low to start the engine or genny, despite the fact that Silverleaf shows they are charging. And, when I use the battery boost switch I still cannot gather enough power to start the genny and charge the chassis batts.

Chassis batteries read near 11v. Is it possible that they are so depleted in terms of cranking amps) that they cannot accept "help" from the battery boost? I've had multiple conversations with Newmar, Silverleaf, and Freightliner, but can't seem to get a clear answer or even many good suggestions beyond jumping the chassis batteries or replacing them.

Also, it is possible/natural to see the chassis batteries drained in as little as one month, or might that be a function of the TM102 problem?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.
MD-Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2019, 06:46 AM   #2

I think your battery boost solenoid is bad.

Its the same solenoid that does the bi-directional charging.

If the internal contacts are carboned up ( common issue ) it doesn't connect the batteries together for charging and maintaining them at full capacity.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:37 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD-Keith View Post
... despite the fact that Silverleaf shows they are charging.
Just to confirm, you have the yellow lightning bolt on the Silverleaf panel showing that the bi-directional isolator relay in being engaged? If this is the case, then I would agree that the bi-directional isolator relay is most likely bad. The relay in my 2018 MA went bad this summer and has been replaced.

If you have a multi-meter, you should check the voltage on relay 4 on the KIB board that's in the electrical cord compartment. The TM102 tells the KIB board to active the relay when various conditions are met. That signal caused relay 4 to close thus providing a 12V signal over the wire that goes to the bi-directional isolator relay telling it to engage. The bi-directional isolator relay will not engage if there isn't a 12V signal provided. Pull the wire off of the KIB relay (it goes from the KIB board relay 4 to the bi-directional isolator relay) and check the voltage. If you have 12V then the issue is with the relay.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
It has been awhile since I messed with the battery connect relay, but if you remove 12v power to it isn't the default to connect the house and chassis together?
alan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1 View Post
It has been awhile since I messed with the battery connect relay, but if you remove 12v power to it isn't the default to connect the house and chassis together?
No. They do not default to connected.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 08:34 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to all. It does sound like the solenoid is the main issue, though I do think the TM102 is also bad. I'll get the solenoid swapped out and see if that addresses the charging and battery boost issues and report back.

Thanks again. There are some really helpful and smart people on this forum!
Old 12-07-2019, 10:54 AM   #7

F10 isolation manager

You might want to check the 5amp fuse in the shore cord compartment labelled F10 isolation manager. This fuse was blown on my 2018 MADP and caused similar issues.
Old 12-16-2019, 01:12 PM   #8

Freightliner Owners Club
Update

Swapped out the Charge Bridge Solenoid and all is currently as it should be. Chassis batteries up to 14.4v, engine and genny start without battery boost, and house batteries AOK. I'll hold off pulling the TM102 for now as the problem(s) appear to be solved. Thanks to all who helped on this thread.
Old 06-18-2021, 04:19 PM   #9

Even these old posts can save your bacon sometimes. Had issues with the TM-102 module this morning and then the charge bridge solenoid would not engage. Found this link and followed the recommendation for the 5 amp fuse, found it blown, and replaced fuse. The charge bridge solenoid is now working. Just a flakey TM-102 to replace now.

Tags
charging