Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Chassis battery charging issue

My 03 DS is not charging the chassis batteries while generator is running. The battery assist button has not worked since I bought the coach 5 years ago. I’ve been charging with an external charger when needed after generator is running. Any ideas where I need to look for problems would be appreciated.
MSG Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2019, 12:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The Bi-directional relay would control both of those situations. Newmar has used a few different models. I believe recently, they switched to the Precision Circuits

BIM-225

http://precisioncircuitsinc.com/prod...ation-manager/

I'm not sure where yours is hidden. Mine is on the aft wall of the electrical cord bay...hidden by a plastic partition.

Take a photo of your model number and check thier website. They usually have troubleshooting guides to help you.

It is probably shot...so carefully label the wires...and replace it with a new one.

They are great when they work...unfortunately, when they don't it only becomes apparent when the batteries get discharged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160221_144400.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	231628  
Old 01-11-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi MSG Chuck,
The chassis batteries are charged (when the engine is not running) via the BIRD. It is located in the basement bay with the electric cord. It will be behind a black plastic cover on the rear wall. Pull on the cover and it will come forward and off. It is a bit tricky to determine when the BIRD will or will not charge the chassis batteries. When the coach batteries are fully charged the BIRD will link both coach and chassis batteries so they will both charge. If the coach batteries do not have a full charge, the chassis batteries will not be charged. These comments are for when the power comes from shore or generator source.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #4

We have a Bay Star with a BIRD system. I have spent sometime on this system when we had battery charging issues.I replaced a charging solenoid in the BIRD to repair our problem.

Found info on the threads here and on line. I have a gauge on both chassis and house battery. I found that we have to travel at least a half hour before the BIRD will start to charge the house battery. When we use the generator about the same half hour to charge the chassis battery. I am sure the condition of your batteries will have a affect on the time to start charging.
Rudy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #5

The bi-directional charging is thru the same solenoid as the boost circuit. It closes by the BIRD controller and by the dash switch.

If the boost doesn't work, there is a good chance that there is no charging between the house and chassis battery banks.

Even if the solenoid clunks in, its probably not connecting internally.

Common problem.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Chassis battery charging issue

As usual, all of the responses have helped tremendously I will get one of these on order immediately and let y’all know how it works out. Thanks so much from sunny Key West.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:21 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Final reply on chassis battery charging issue

Hi folks. Wanted to thank you all and tell you about the final solution for my repair. First I replaced the BIRD because I could never hear it inergizing the solenoid. That didn't correct the charging issue to the chassis batteries but it did solve the battery boost switch problem. Next step was to replace the solenoid and that did the trick. I now have the voltage at both the chassis and house batteries that I expect to see.
Thanks again to all that replied.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Chuck View Post
Hi folks. Wanted to thank you all and tell you about the final solution for my repair. First I replaced the BIRD because I could never hear it inergizing the solenoid. That didn't correct the charging issue to the chassis batteries but it did solve the battery boost switch problem. Next step was to replace the solenoid and that did the trick. I now have the voltage at both the chassis and house batteries that I expect to see.
Just went through this with my 04 Dutchstar, it's actually a simple system. Main thing to remember is when voltage is above 13.1 or so the batteries are connected via the isolation relay, when it falls below 12.6 or so the bird disconnects them. Also the bird only works when the house battery switch is turned on inside the coach so if that switch is turned off only the house batteries will charge. I thought i had a problem but really it was just me turning off the house and unintentionally disconnecting the bird. Although frustrating it allowed me to learn the system inside and out.
lash540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG Chuck View Post

Having this issue on 17LA. Where do I start to look for this solenoid?
Thanks!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #10
Rd1

"Having this issue on 17LA."

its in your power compartments. as described above, there is a black plastic cover verlcored, remove it and you should find the solenoid on top. it is likely the top right one. likely hot to the touch, if you are plugged in to the shore power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selonoid_Chassis (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	374.9 KB
ID:	237293  
Rd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:02 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Part #

Thanks, was on the phone with Newmar and Silverleaf. They said I needed this part
Name:   image001.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  27.9 KB
Old 03-08-2019, 06:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakebuster View Post
Thanks, was on the phone with Newmar and Silverleaf. They said I needed this partAttachment 237322
Its called a Isolation solenoid.

Its a contionues duty type.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:38 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the help, part will be White Rodgers 586 902, I took multiple photos to ensure I wire it correctly. When others have changed out this part do you need to disconnect negative battery from frame or just turn switches off?
Thanks David
Old 03-11-2019, 07:26 AM   #14

Pull the negetive cables after shutting off the battery switchs.

If you have a Magnum inverter/charger, with options, remove its positive cable first. They are concerned with it grounding thru the options and causing failures.

Also pull the shore power cord.

Tags
battery, charging, chassis