Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #1

Chassis Battery Drain

Hello. We recently purchased a new 2019 New Aire. It is home and plugged into shore power. The other day my chassis batteries were too low to pull in slides or start engine. The silver leaf shows the lightening bolt but as I monitor it the voltage has dropped to around 12 with bolt on. Am I doing something wrong or possibly is the bridge not working properly to charge. They charge up if I start the coach. Possibly bad solenoid?

I’m hoping I’m doing something wrong. We leave Tuesday for first trip. I can always jump it if needed or if I hold boost switch down for chassis it charges.

Any direction is appreciated. We love the coach and are excited to be part of Newmar family. Thank you
PhillyWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2020, 05:17 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyWillie View Post
Hello. We recently purchased a new 2019 New Aire. It is home and plugged into shore power. The other day my chassis batteries were too low to pull in slides or start engine. The silver leaf shows the lightening bolt but as I monitor it the voltage has dropped to around 12 with bolt on. Am I doing something wrong or possibly is the bridge not working properly to charge. They charge up if I start the coach. Possibly bad solenoid?

I’m hoping I’m doing something wrong. We leave Tuesday for first trip. I can always jump it if needed or if I hold boost switch down for chassis it charges.

Any direction is appreciated. We love the coach and are excited to be part of Newmar family. Thank you

Depending on the RV, it is not unusual for shore power not to charge
to chassis battery
coachmanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:23 PM   #3

Fairly common for manufacturers to save a few bucks on certain models to not include a chassis battery charging system on shore power. What most of us do, instead of chasing a rainbow, is to buy a Trik-L-Start or Amp-L-Start and wire it up to keep the chassis battery charged. It steals a little charging current from the house batteries and gives it to the chassis batteries. Only when you're plugged into shore power. Note that some higher end RVs have systems that already do that job, but many many do not.

The other thing you can do IF there's a nearby 120V outlet (near to the battery compartment) is to get a 12 volt Float Charger from any automotive, big box, or country store (even Walmart) and plug it in, than attach it to the chassis battery. Does the same job for less money, but there needs to be an accessible outlet OR you can run an extension cord to it whenever you park at a RV park.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:16 PM   #4
JMH

Newmar Owners Club
Ok, you have heard from folks (according to their profile) that don’t own Newmar. No offense meant just noting lack of experience with the OPs rig. Your coach has a System that charges both the coach and house batteries if plugged in. If the coach batteries are not being charged when plugged in, then the system has failed. To trouble shoot (if you are not skilled on electrical system troubleshooting) call Newmar and have them walk you through the system.
JMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:46 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMH View Post
Ok, you have heard from folks (according to their profile) that don’t own Newmar. No offense meant just noting lack of experience with the OPs rig. Your coach has a System that charges both the coach and house batteries if plugged in. If the coach batteries are not being charged when plugged in, then the system has failed. To trouble shoot (if you are not skilled on electrical system troubleshooting) call Newmar and have them walk you through the system.

True just changed out my White Rogers Bi-Directional solenoid. Takes about 30 minutes doing it very carefully!
lakebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:26 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An easy test to see if your charge bridge solenoid is working is to press and hold the battery boost button while looking at the battery voltages on the Silverleaf panel. With the button depressed, both battery voltages should be about the same. I’m assuming you are plugged into shore power and the house battery is charging and shows a voltage of 13.2 or more (depending on which charge state it’s currently in).

If the chassis battery doesn’t rise to the voltage of the house battery, I would recommend that someone listen to the charge bridge solenoid while the button is depressed and listen for the clunk noise of the solenoid engaging. If it’s not engaging you may have a Silverleaf TM-102 issue, but let do this one step at a time.

Tags
battery, chassis