Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #1

My on-order Ventana comes with a 5 watt solar panel to keep the chassis bateries charged while in storage.

I have a little GPS device that will send me a text message if anyone moves my Ventana. I can also track its location from my phone or PC.

It doesn't use much power in standby mode. Will that 5 watt solar panel be good enough to keep the chassis batteries charged?

If not, how difficult would it be to upgrade that panel to something just a little more powerful?
69RoadRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2008, 04:45 AM   #2

My on-order Ventana comes with a 5 watt solar panel to keep the chassis bateries charged while in storage.

I have a little GPS device that will send me a text message if anyone moves my Ventana. I can also track its location from my phone or PC.

It doesn't use much power in standby mode. Will that 5 watt solar panel be good enough to keep the chassis batteries charged?

If not, how difficult would it be to upgrade that panel to something just a little more powerful?
Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #3

5w will be more than ample for any electronic gadget. Your chassis bats wil power it forever w/o solar as well.

Upgrade if you want using www.AMSolar.com Positively the best panel technology (BP Solar) and best controller (Heliotrope) you can realistically get. Superb folks. Start your research there.

Is your GPS device the new www.FindMeSpot.com? Looks like a nifty device and priced right. I'll be running one for my boondocking solo adventures...
Old 05-15-2008, 05:19 AM   #4

Curios...what GPS device do you have?
kneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:38 AM   #5

Thanks for the info!

I already have this device for my Road Runner:
GPS Snitch
Old 05-15-2008, 07:03 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Guaranty Service center just checked my 5 Watt panel output, at 13.5 volts its output was 1.5 Amps.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Spikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:10 PM   #7

That means our 5w solar panels are actually 20w = 1.5amp x 13.5v

Yipee, we're getting more than we expected!
Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RVDude:
That means our 5w solar panels are actually 20w = 1.5amp x 13.5v

Yipee, we're getting more than we expected! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's good to know!
Old 05-25-2008, 09:53 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Has anyone increased the solar system using the Newmar solar prep wiring that is in the rear of the coach near the power cord reel?
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
No, but I have added solar panels for coach batteries and ran cables thru cloths closets to battery locations.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Has anyone increased the solar system using the Newmar solar prep wiring that is in the rear of the coach near the power cord reel? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have added 3 AM100 (100 Watts each) solar panels with an Heliotrope HPV-22B charge controller. Charge controller is installed in electrical cord bay which is directly wired to house batteries. HPV-22B charge controller has on/off feature as well as a dry camp/shore power selector. Digital readout provides Battery voltage, array amperage, and boosted charging amperage readouts.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 05-26-2008, 04:01 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
how good is the system working? what type of performance are you experiencing? Where did you buy the equipment?Thanx
FOLEYMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">how good is the system working? what type of performance are you experiencing? Where did you buy the equipment?Thanx </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

System works well, so far am very happy with it. We boondocked for 6.5 days this winter (Jan) in Quartzite AZ, house battery voltage never got below 11.9 volts when I checked it every morning . I never ran Generator. Ran TV and Sat receiver every day for approx 4 hours, Stereo throughout the day, used toaster in the morning 3 times, vacuum cleaner twice all off the 2000W inverter and of course hair dryer and curling iron once in awhile. Also had 2 ceiling vent fans set to come on @ 75 degrees during the day, plus other DC hotel loads. Most output I saw was 10.1 array amps at 14.4 volts during mid-day, but this was wintertime with the sun low in the Southern Sky. Did not check the charging amperage reading put noted that controller was in the MPPT (Max Power Point Tracking) mode so battery charging amperage was higher out of the charge controller. Had sunshine all day almost everyday, filtered sunshine a couple days. Also panels were flat on roof with MH pointing to the West, have brackets to raise but did not use them. During the summer I expect to see max array output (+13.5 Amps) with clear skys. True test of system will be in July when we spend 2 weeks in the North Cascades National Park boondocking, hopefully will not have to run the Generator during our stay.

Purchased our system AM Solar in Eugene OR Here. There Web Site has a lot of good solar information for RV applications. If you are looking to do a lot of camping without hookups utilizing Solar to keep your batteries charged it is definitely worth the price of the Hi output solar panels and MPPT or similar charge controllers.

Hope this helps.

Spike
FMCA F113720, NKK 18573
Old 05-26-2008, 05:29 PM   #14

Without going into technical details, the AMSolar setup using their BP Solar panels and Heliotrope controller is by far the best way to go for the solar lifestyle. Do your homework and verify with any electrical engineer and you'll agree.