Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2021, 11:15 AM   #1
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Check Engine - Code 3521 FMI 11

So, we were leaving the west suburbs of Nashville this morning headed to Dallas. Figured a 3 day trip arriving at NIRVC for some work on Wednesday. Body repair and windshield replacement.

As we were heading west on I-40, the check engine light came on just before we were going to merge onto I-40/I-24. I had been at Cummins a couple of months ago here, so I took that exit instead and am currently sitting in their parking lot.

We're showing Code 3521 FMI 11. From what I've read, it is related to DEF. I've decided to overnight here in the Cummins parking lot. When we were here back in September for engine and generator service along with caring for the fuel rail recall. They allowed us to overnight, since they couldn't get both the service and recall issues cared for in one day.

If anyone as any insight on what Code 3521 FMI 11 is specifically, I would appreciate any input.
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2021, 11:39 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your trouble. SPN 3521 is DEF Fluid Property, Root Cause Unknown. It means either the DEF tank contains an unknown fluid (water, diesel fuel, windshield washer solution, etc.) OR the DEF Quality Sensor (aka “DEF Head”) has failed or is failing.
If you are certain that the tank contains only fresh, high quality DEF fluid and you are also certain that it has not been accidentally adulterated with some other substance then you are likely going to need a DEF sensor replacement.
If the service center can’t get a replacement immediately then you should ask them to apply the Cummins TRP to reprogram your ECM to be able to continue operating your coach until an OEM replacement can be installed.
If neither of those things can be done and you verify that it is your DEF Sensor that has failed then DM me and I will send you a DSS loaner to get you back on the road.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 07:42 PM   #3
HTTR

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Update and closure of the issue for now

Monday morning, the folks at Cummins were able to check the codes and determined that I had 1 of 2 problems. Either bad DEF or a bad DEF head. They did a test of the DEF in the tank and determined that the DEF was good meaning that I have the dreaded bad DEF head issue.

In the meantime, NIRVC reached out to me with a possible temporary fix. Cummins reset the codes prior to my departure from their shop in Nashville. I then drove to NIRVC's Nashville location in La Vergne. The check engine light and code came on again during that short drive.

On Tuesday afternoon, we left NIRVC Nashville with the temporary fix and we're on our way to NIRVC in Lewisville.

Kudos to the folks at NIRVC for their great customer service.

Please don't ask what the temporary fix is. I don't want to reveal anything that shouldn't be public. If you've followed the DEF head issue at all, you probably already know what the fix is.

Also thanks to Archer2 for reaching out with the offer of a DSS loaner.
Fulltiming since 10-15-2019
swaff54 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine