Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Newmar Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2015, 01:25 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Check engine light freightliner with no codes

I have a Ventana LE that just started showing an engine icon on the dash with no coresponding codes visible. Any idea how to find the problem?
Thanks. Steve.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2015, 02:06 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Steve View Post
I have a Ventana LE that just started showing an engine icon on the dash with no coresponding codes visible. Any idea how to find the problem?
Thanks. Steve.
First step is call Freightliner at 1-800-FTL-HELP. Have your last 6 digits of your VIN ready and be sure you know exactly what light has turned on and the circumstances. They can help you figure out what's going on. Do you have a code reader like a ScanGaugeD hooked up to read the codes?

Mike
2012 DSDP 3734
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #3

Our 2014 Ventana has shown the amber " Check Engine " light a few times, with no codes. We also had an instance where all the gauges went crazy then died completely. In both cases, stopping and restarting cleared the light. I had Freightliner in Phoenix check the wiring harness. They spent 4 hours ( warranty thank goodness ) on it and could not find a problem. Blamed it on a loose connection somewhere between the engine and the dash. Told me to come back when it happened again.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #4

My gauges have done the same thing twice but started back up with in a couple of seconds. A friend of mine has the same coach and his gauges would not start and freightliner had him pull 2 30 amp fuses for the ignition in the front bay under the drivers seat and then replace them. After that all his gauges started working again. Feightliner said that the computer had a lost communication and it had to be reset. I called both times my gauges went crazy and got nothing but excusses , they act like I was the only one that had that problem, since then I have heard of many coachs with the same issues. I believe it is and issue that they don't want to address since there are many chassis out there ith the problem.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:25 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by David D. View Post
My gauges have done the same thing twice but started back up with in a couple of seconds. A friend of mine has the same coach and his gauges would not start and freightliner had him pull 2 30 amp fuses for the ignition in the front bay under the drivers seat and then replace them. After that all his gauges started working again. Feightliner said that the computer had a lost communication and it had to be reset. I called both times my gauges went crazy and got nothing but excusses , they act like I was the only one that had that problem, since then I have heard of many coachs with the same issues. I believe it is and issue that they don't want to address since there are many chassis out there ith the problem.
Call the 800 # for Freightliner. Not a dealer. Freightliner in Gaffney SC is responsive to the calls. They will call a dealer and you will get action that you can not get by you calling the same dealer.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #6

I did call the Freightliner hot line and they sent me to a dealer first and the dealers response was it woud be like looking for a needle in a hay stack. I have talked to the department a Gaffney and they said if it corrects its self they would have no way to check it.
David D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #7

I have some what the same problem. Pops up codes for the DEF. Hit checked.
5 hrs. At Freightliner in Spokane last year and again at the Winnie factory. Been over a year now ,sometimes it pops up and sometimes not. I just don't top off the DEF reservoir. Keep it down about a third and have not had any codes. One day it will get drastic enough .
John and Susan. New 2018 Chevrolet 2500 2 WHD . 6.6 Duramax 3.73 rearend. .4 door ,Short, Bed W/Topper. 2017 Grand Design 297 RSTS. Our rescue dog Annie. Still ,Full timing since 07-01-2011. No sticks and bricks.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:24 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My previous coach (05 Diplomat) never did it, but my new coach shows an amber check engine light every time I start it for about 3-4 seconds. On two occasions, while driving the coach, all the gauges went dead momentarily and the coach shut down, just about the time I realized it and said "oh s#it" everything reset and went back to normal. It hasn't happened in a while and I know there isn't much that can be done to solve it. I did go to all the connections and make sure they were tight.

Lastly, I now wait until my fuel gauge and battery gauge needles sweep before I start the coach. If I don't, I occasionally will get a check engine light that relates to EGR. I think these things have soooo many checks to go through before they start, that you just need to give them a few seconds from the ON position, before you turn to the START position.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 07:57 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Lastly, I now wait until my fuel gauge and battery gauge needles sweep before I start the coach. If I don't, I occasionally will get a check engine light that relates to EGR. I think these things have soooo many checks to go through before they start, that you just need to give them a few seconds from the ON position, before you turn to the START position.
You may have hit on something. We were told to do that even with our 2003 MA. Let everything cycle before starting. So that is what we do on the 2015 DS.

We have had the amber ck engine light three times. Once on the PDI with 750 miles on the coach. The Cummins dealer in Spartenburg SC said they could not find the reason so cleared it and sent it back to the dealer in Marion NC. Less than a week later with about 1,110 miles as I approched Raleigh NC it came on again. I called Gaffney SC and the tech had me go into the light bar to Diag. and read the codes. He translated them to the Cummins codes and it was something to do with the DEF and ReGen. I called the closest Cummins dealer in Kenly NC abotu 40 miles from Raleigh and made an appointment for the next day that he could get right on it, which was about five days out. So when I got there at 9:00 am they were on it within a half hour. That's the good news, the bad was they had to overnight the part which was the sensors in the muffler. Good news was they have a nice hookup with water and electric and we stayed the night. At 8:00 am they knocked on the door with the part in hand and we didn't even have to move the coach as it was an easy install. Great service in my mind. The third time was about a week and a half ago and the Amber light came on once again at 2,850 miles. This time I called the local Cummins dealer directly in Saganaw MI less that 15 miles from where I was and we did the same thing. Went over on the first open day about five days later and they got right on it. This time it was the NOX sensor and they had one in stock. Fixed in about an hour and a half.

Except for the inconvenience of the problems I have been happy with the service of both Freightliner by phone and the two Cummins dealers that I have dealt with directly. I want to be clear the on both occasions the Cummins dealers both said if I brought the coach over they would get to it ASAP and check the codes but if the repair was of any length we would wait our turn in line. Being as I had the time I elected for the next open day that they would have time to fix a longer repair if need be. This gave me time to plan and it worked out fine in both cases.
2016 Dutch Star 4018 Newmar #605899
VP Chianese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #10

Our '02 F53 popped an check engine light on. Turned out to be a loose gas cap!

Tags
check engine light, engine, freightliner, light